Neverwinter Nights 3 Whispers Get Louder

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
omg, OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooray!!! my favorite game is back! WOOOOOOO!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
lumenadducere said:
Isn't Neverwinter destroyed in 4.0? Is the game just going to be set around that region, then?

Edit: And NWN 2 only had two expansions, no? Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir? Am I just completely blanking out on a third?
There was Mysteries of Westgate by Ossian which I haven't played. I think that Atari dicked around with the release so much that nobody cared by the time it came out.

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
I was really excited about this..... and then I was reminded that...

lumenadducere said:
Isn't Neverwinter destroyed in 4.0? Is the game just going to be set around that region, then?
...and my heart broke. I forgot about everything that has now happens to Faerun in 4th edition until you mentioned it, and I really don't know if I'll be able to get into the game's story now. Gods are different, magic is different, so much of the world isn't the same... while it might be familiar, it's probably like going to a McDonald's in another country. The store looks similar, the food looks the same, but it just feels DIFFERENT, somehow.

While I do like Dragon Age, I think the game system worked because it suited that world. I just can't see this new Faerun being the same that I remember and enjoyed from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Change too much and you're just not playing in that world anymore, regardless of if the names are the same.

Sark

Jun 21, 2009
If it has more in common with NWN than NWN2 we are in for an awsome game. Obsidian did a terrible job following NWN. Lets hope bioware jump on the project.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Skarlette said:
I was really excited about this..... and then I was reminded that...

lumenadducere said:
...and my heart broke. I forgot about everything that has now happens to Faerun in 4th edition until you mentioned it, and I really don't know if I'll be able to get into the game's story now. Gods are different, magic is different, so much of the world isn't the same... while it might be familiar, it's probably like going to a McDonald's in another country. The store looks similar, the food looks the same, but it just feels DIFFERENT, somehow.

While I do like Dragon Age, I think the game system worked because it suited that world. I just can't see this new Faerun being the same that I remember and enjoyed from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Change too much and you're just not playing in that world anymore, regardless of if the names are the same.
4.0 definitely did go wheels-off when it comes to the Realms, and I know they did it because they were dealing with what they thought was a stale franchise. But I mean, come on, it's not like there aren't franchises out there which are considerably older in the mass market. Sure, tweak something here or there, but no reason to lay waste to the whole world and get rid of everyone's favorite landmarks and characters.

I am morbidly curious as to how 4.0 would translate into a real time CRPG, with all the powers at will, per encounter and per day, though I have a suspicion it would feel even clunkier unless they really went out of their way to pace the game in such a way that your party would be able to rest and recover. Though the older D&D games just let you rest and recover wherever you were safe, which was a clear abuse of the way they controlled powers in previous rule sets.

Still, I'd take all that to have an RPG in the mold of what RPGs should be. I don't mind some sanding around the edges and a nice coat of paint, but I don't want the mechanics just ripped out entirely.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
More Fun To Compute said:
Andy Chalk said:
Woodsey said:
Any hints on the developer?[/small]
What you see is what we know. Which is nothing when you get right down to it, but it's as close to knowing anything as we've come. Believe me, if/when Atari makes it official, one way or the other, I'll be screaming about it at all of you.
Here's where I get my rumours from anyway.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/94501-turbine-sues-atari-neverwinter-nights-mmo-confirmed.html

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403390

I worked there for a little over a year; it will be Neverwinter Nights Online unless things have changed since last December.
Hmm, an MMO from Atari probably means that Cryptic will be the developer. And if that's the case, then forget it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woodsey said:
Any hints on the developer?

BioWare seem to have their hands full at the minute, but if it's being done by Obsidian then you can pretty much count my interest out already.
Hey, Bioware did DA and ME2 at the same time...Why not this?

Dragon Age 2 is out in less than a year, after all.

Anyway...having never played the series, and lacking a decent PC and the will to ever make/buy one, I can only pray for a sub-par console version.
I know, it's just because they're doing TOR this time. And they must be working on Mass Effect 3 too.

So that's 3 games at least.
Well, their success has also led them to hiring a bigger team, I'd think.

But don't forget the TOP SECRET Jade Empire 2 team, also!

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
I'll be happy as long as they keep the system requirements reasonable.

Neverwinter Nights 2 was absurd in this regard. The game had ridiculous graphical requirements, and didn't even look that great.

Elephant Walker19

Jul 5, 2010
You know most Story writers would go by how long its been since NW2.

You just gave 2 an honorable mention,why? Because BIOWARE made the first one and not the second one?

El_Teodoro

Jun 24, 2010
The original was the very second RPG I ever played, right after KOTOR I picked this up.
THIS IS SO COOL!!!

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I'll wait till the game itself is announced - or that a developer has been chosen for the project - before I get excited.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Woodsey said:
Any hints on the developer?

BioWare seem to have their hands full at the minute, but if it's being done by Obsidian then you can pretty much count my interest out already.
Hey, Bioware did DA and ME2 at the same time...Why not this?
Most likely because BioWare is owned by EA and unless EA signs a deal with Atari, having BioWare develop it is out of the question.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
Would be happy if any studio but Obsidian did it as that's where series go when they want to die, but then like people pointed out it will be in 4th ed and that is lower than Obsidian in regards to utter loathing. Think only game would allow just to have a graphical upgrade. Money on CDprojekt taking it up as can do wonders with the engine NWN is on.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
God I hope not sine the first one was awful. Only getting one party member, and even then you can't control them, is pretty retarded after Baldur's Gate 2.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Hmm.... I hope it won't be an MMO and if it will be a Single-Player game and that Obsidian is going to make it.

In terms of setting: Perhaps a few months/days before this 4E cataclysm?

Borntolose

Aug 18, 2008
Nice. If Bioware is making this one it's bound to be good. I did not like NWN 2 at all.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Maybe this one will be made to the same snuff as the first.

I WANT a 4.0 vidoegame actually, it's a perfect fit. What I DON'T want is a game with a difficult toolset, and the inability to make sprawling persistant world mods, like the first one hand. NWN was like a MY FIRST MMO workshop, there were dozens upon dozens of persistant world mods with their own ccoded rules and economies. The toolset was very robust.

But due to a hardcapped memory limit on NWN2, which by Obsidians own admittance wasn't designed with the kind of multiplay that made NWN so popular in mind, large modifications became impossible.

FIX. IT.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Well, it's about freaking time we get a 4th Edition game. As geared as the system is towards video gaming, you'd think someone would have done it by now.

I'd rather see Eberron than Faerun, though, personally. 4th Edition Faerun doesn't have Artemis Entreri in it, and therefore is much less awesome than it used to be.