New Bundle Puts Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment Back on the Shelves

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
There's "compatible" and "optimised." The former doesn't always mean the latter.

It may still run like shit on a Win7 computer.
I have PS:T, BG1+TotSC and BG2+ToB in their DVD versions and have recently played them all on my Windows 7 laptop (currently fighting Sarevok in BG... damn that fight is hard). Fully patched and modded up to the eyebrows (Tutu + resolution mods + banter packs and assorted other things I forget in each) they run perfectly, so if it's a similar release there shouldn't be any issues.

gim73 said:
Yeah, it's funny that Atari, whose only contribution to that bundle was temple of elemental evil, is releasing those great Black Isle games.
Atari purchased the D&D publishing rights from Interplay (which is one of the reasons BG3 was cancelled) and obviously still has them. It's slightly absurd, but you can't fault the business decision.

Echoing those above, I urge everyone who has never played these games before to do so right now, either from this promotion or GOG. Some of my best gaming experiences have come from playing these games and they're SO CHEAP...

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Not only do I already have all but the Icewind games and Neverwinter 2, I actually own them on their original CDs :D
In fact, I own two copies of BG1, the original 5-disk and the 3-disk collectors edition.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I think I fail in the Nostalgia department. Every game I loved as a kid holds little or no appeal to me as an adult, and I put a stupid amount of hours into some games.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Aircross said:
Oh man...

...I hope these bundles get put on Steam. I just got into PC gaming two years ago, and I really want to play some of the past gems.
Yeah, definitely needs to be on Steam.

OT: Not sure I'd buy, though. Didn't like Baldurs Gate (yes, I know I'm a filthy heretic),beat Icewind Dale 1 and could never get 2 to work on any of my pc's (still have disc copy after all these years and still can't get it to work) and also never managed to get either of the NWN games to work. So I'd basically be getting Temple of the Elemental Evil, which I've never heard of, and Planescape:Torment, which is already on GOG for 10 bucks.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Wow, this even beats the Orange Box in terms of a awesome deals. I just might get this because I'm sure they are all on DVDs instead of CDs. I mean, Baldur's Gate was 6 disks and Torment was 4. I know for a fact that they eventually made a 2 CD version of Torment, so maybe they figured out how to compress the game better.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I wish they'd incorporate community patching and Resolution hacks into these. Great games, but takes a few hours each to make them look decent nowadays.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Does the NWN thing come with the "Premium Modules"? If so I might pick that up...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
nice, i have plancescape: torment >.> <.< some where around here, was good as i recall, never played a PC baldurs gate though

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
targren said:
Temple of Elemental Evil is to D&D what "Wand of Gameleon" was to "Zelda."
Whuh? So a game that's considered by many to be the best implementation of the 3.5 edition ruleset in a videogame and is based off a P&P module co-written by Gary Gygax (also considered one of the best of all time mind you) is a bad example of a D&D game?

Oh, I'll admit there were bugs (as well as a 3rd patch that technically added some) and that Hommlet does make one grind the teeth a bit, but it is an immensely underrated game and a good throwback to the old turn-based D&D games from SSI and company. It definitely deserves a spot in that box, and Atari's actually regained some points from me for adding it in when it just as easily could have kept it as an Infinity Engine compilation.

Also, I think that Ruins of Myth Drannor fits the "Wand of Gameleon" standard of quality in the D&D series from that period just a little better, and am definitely happy that one's not being re-released into the wild, especially since it actually had worse bugs than TOEE at release.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
I would but I already own all these thanks to GOG.com. Though it might work as a nice Christmas present

Solivagus

Dec 2, 2008
Does anyone know when these bundles will be available in the UK? Tried finding them on Amazon.co.uk and couldn't find them.