New Copies of Alan Wake Shine Brighter Than Used

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I hope they keep this up. I'm a new game buyer and I do it to support the game's developers. People who choose to save a whole $5 at Gamestop with a used copy enrages me more than anything simply because they give license to Gamestop to keep cheating the devs out of their royalties.

And I don't buy the accessibility crap people always spout when talking about the used market. If saving $5-$10 is what you call making a $60 title accessible then I'm calling BS on you. Used games should be selling for a very small fraction of the cost of a new game so as to; a. not compete with new game sales; and b. not to take royalty returns from the hands of the people who made the games.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
It's certainly not going to make a difference for those people who have been robbed of the choice of being able to play this game on the PC, that is for certain.

As for the New vs. Used debate, I am neutral on the matter. While buying a new copy is often better (since used copies can be unreliable; plus, as someone mentioned, the "smell" of a new game... =)) and it benefits the developer much more, I am not sure if it is fair to mark the purchase of used copies as "morally wrong". Some people just can't afford to purchase games at full prices, so they take a willing risk by buying a potentially unreliable used copy.

Besides, it's not like the developer does not benefit at least indirectly. If someone buys a used copy of a game from a specific company and they like it, it makes it more likely that they will purchase a new copy of another game from that same company. Also, if nothing else, the developer at least gained profit from the original purchase and a game can only switch hands so many times before it becomes unusable.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
I love the idea, you're rewarded for buying new and not just pre-ordering. Pre-order bonus + new copy bonuses= a nice deal for $60.
I hope this takes off, I really do, it annoys the hell out of me when someone buys a used game that's only $5 cheaper than a new copy. People want to whine about the price of the games but wonders why games aren't selling.

Neon Jackal

Sep 10, 2009
I do want to support the developers of the games I buy but I can barely afford new games, the prices are just ridiculous, I rarely buy games at full price, I either wait for a good deal or go second had(if it's a big difference in price, not a measly $10-$20)
So instead of this DLC idea they seem to have how about making the games cheaper?

IgneusMaeror

May 27, 2009
I wouldn't be worried about this trend if Microsoft would solve their marketplace issues. Often I have purchased a factory sealed game, only for the fucking marketplace to tell me I can't download that extra shit from my (XBOX Live supported, mind you) location.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
this doesn't really bother me, since I play on a PC and there isn't a market for used games on that.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Low Key said:
As long as the extra content isn't imperative to the core gameplay, I think this is a good thing. Everyone likes something for free...even if it will actually cost $60 instead of $30 or something like that.
You lucky bastard, where I live the difference for a new game is about $5, which makes this deal so much more worth it.

Randvek said:
Do car manufacturers see anything from used car sales? On and on, down the list, the answer is no.
Yes they do, they own Used Car dealerships.

rynocerator

Aug 10, 2009
aaronmcc said:
rynocerator said:
I work at a Gamestop in Arizona, and I can tell you first hand that at the very least 4 out of 10 copies that get traded in of any game still have the preorder content or what have you unused inside. And you can just walk in, open the case, take it, and leave. Most clerks, myself included, won't care in the slightest.
actually if you can believe it, i bought Splinter Cell Double Agent second hand for xbox 360 last week and the 48hr xbox live trail was still in it! that's 4yrs old!
Man i believe it! I still find Flashback Map packs for Gears 2, Live trials for Halo 3, and other stuff all the time! Most people don't use them, I guess.

brenflood

Jan 27, 2008
To me this is a pretty awesome trend. It is a form of anti-piracy that is pro-consumer. Does it stop piracy? Hell no. If someone wanted Alan Wake without paying for it, there's still the JTAG hack, and when the DLC comes out that will be released for JTAG boxes.
Besides pirates who does this hurt? Gamestop... and I suppose gamestop customers. Though really, just don't buy this game used and it won't be an issue unless gamestop is smart enough to make the launch week used price around $45 to factor in the loss of value due to it being used.
Seriously more companies should include nice buyer incentives that help the consumer and the consumer alone.

Randvek

Jan 5, 2010
sheic99 said:
So your solution is for video game companies to start up their own used videogame dealerships? Interesting idea... I wonder if someone big like EA or Activision could make that fly.

Aug 25, 2009
Wow, this is one of the worst things ever. And it managed to sneak up on us as well.

Bastards, stop charging me extra money for the full game. I'm willing to pay retail, but not if you're deliberately keeping stuff out in order to coax new buyers.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Randvek said:
sheic99 said:
So your solution is for video game companies to start up their own used videogame dealerships? Interesting idea... I wonder if someone big like EA or Activision could make that fly.
It's really not that bad of an idea. Cut out the middle man and sell the product the way you want it to be sold rather than all this ridiculous bullshit.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Cody211282 said:
this doesn't really bother me, since I play on a PC and there isn't a market for used games on that.
I'm kind of with you there, tho i think its a good thing. my brother is a console guy, all he usually does is buy a couple of game then trade two back for another one, so for every two he buys he gets one free and the price of the used games is huge for a USED item. the retailers must be making a huge profit of them, disadvantaging devs, and ... yeah i guess im a bit jealous of not being able to get the creeper used stuff with THE EXACT SAME CONTENT as the new stuff.. tho we pc guys do get those sweet sweet steam sales.
EnzoHonda said:
This is a great idea. It actually makes a used game "used." As in it's lesser than the new copy. Good. There is an incentive to buy a new copy versus a used copy just like with any other used goods.
this. previously used games weren't really used as you missed out on nothing for them, but as Enzo says now they are actually "used"

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I have already pre ordered the limited edition so they don't have to worry about me buying a used copy.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Cryo84R said:
tomtom94 said:
Uh-oh.

This is a worrying trend indeed.
Why?
Free DLC you can't get if you buy a used copy.
This is a step towards no used copies at all, which is a further step towards massively expensive games that companies know we will buy regardless.