New Deus Ex Gameplay Trailer Shows Adam in Action

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
s0m3th1ng said:
Netrigan said:
s0m3th1ng said:
I really hope they port it to the PC well. Having to go into a menu every time you want to use an item? You console people put up with that? Wow. Thank you hot-keys.
Being a PC-to-console convert, I miss the hot-keys, but I don't miss having to figure out how to map a dozen or more essential hot-keys (the Crytech guys always gave me fits). The original Deus Ex wasn't a balls-to-the-wall shooter, so I think the pacing will be perfectly fine for console radial wheels... even if they don't pause the action during item selection.
Problem is it ruins immersion when you have to go into a game-pausing item menu and individually select what you want to use so often. A radial menu I could see..but what I saw in this trailer wasn't that.
The original Deus Ex did a fair bit of that to me. You're trying to pick up an item, but you have to go into a menu to drop the five million packs of cigarettes you're picked up in the last three minutes and arrange the Tetris blocks in your inventory.

The menu I saw him playing with suggested that he was combining weapons, so that would likely be menu driven no matter what the platform. Most of the weapon functions in combat were radial wheels, which works pretty well for me.

Reserving judgment on this one, but looks like they could hit the mark.

To all those commenting on the orange color... egads, you're right and I know exactly what they're doing. Check out this article from Cracked on why all movies look the same. Pay special attention to the section about everything being teal and orange.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18664_5-annoying-trends-that-make-every-movie-look-same.html

Lord Of Cyberia

Jan 4, 2009
For the first three seconds, I thought, "This looks coo-" Then "SQUARE ENIX".
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

After Supreme Commander 2, The Last Remnant, Final Fantasy XII, etc, I trust Square with non-JRPGS about as far as I can throw their corporate headquarters. I don't care that the trailer looked cool, I cannot believe it will be good. My tiny spark of hope was smothered by the Fire Suppression Foam of Doubt.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
While I am really impressed by everything they've put into the game, I can't help but wonder "is this really a -prequel to Deus Ex?". It's me fan-wanking here, but I can't for the life of me expect to believe that mech-augs and nano-augs are that different: where is JC's energy-cushion?

*cough*

niceguy191

Mar 11, 2010
ColdStorage said:
Andy Chalk said:
Check out the trailer here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2468-Lord-of-the-Rings-War-in-the-North]
Am I going fucking mental here?, everyones going on about how this Deus Ex looks amazing, but I'm getting Lord of the Rings?

Whats going on?, is the entire population of this news article including Andy Chalk trolling me or something?
Me too!! I was wondering how everyone else was seeing the trailer... The URL even says "Lord-of-the-Rings-War-in-the-North" right in it!

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
ColdStorage said:
s0m3th1ng said:
I really hope they port it to the PC well. Having to go into a menu every time you want to use an item? You console people put up with that? Wow. Thank you hot-keys.
We do perfectly fine actually, don't do that whole PC has a better interface crap, we don't care, and its not so bad on consoles that the games are unplayable or unbearable.

your argument is like someone who carries his wallet in his hand at all times and wonders why us trouser wearing people have to delve into our pockets to get our wallets, trousers are a an unintuitive interface for having to buy shit I'm sure but I'm willing to put up such arbitrary nonsense like having to stop and pull my wallet out of a pocket in order to buy stuff because I like pockets.

There you go Mr PC user, consoles = pockets on trousers (or pants, if your a Northern American).
PC's = wallets in your hand and you can buy stuff quicker than us!
Thank you sir...for confusing me with your trouser propaganda bull-crap.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Lord Of Cyberia said:
For the first three seconds, I thought, "This looks coo-" Then "SQUARE ENIX".
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

After Supreme Commander 2, The Last Remnant, Final Fantasy XII, etc, I trust Square with non-JRPGS about as far as I can throw their corporate headquarters. I don't care that the trailer looked cool, I cannot believe it will be good. My tiny spark of hope was smothered by the Fire Suppression Foam of Doubt.
Square did SupCom2? Weird...no wonder I don't own it.

Orthon

Mar 28, 2009
tehroc said:
If it helps, I do believe this is a prequel.
Well yeah, but because Deus Ex(according to all sources) was a very significant game for the PC, I should play it anyway.

Andy Chalk said:
Yes. Don't come back until you do.
I sorta did. :eek:
I'll go get it soon though, promise!

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Netrigan said:
To all those commenting on the orange color... egads, you're right and I know exactly what they're doing. Check out this article from Cracked on why all movies look the same. Pay special attention to the section about everything being teal and orange.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18664_5-annoying-trends-that-make-every-movie-look-same.html
You sorta missed the point of that part of the article. Things being orange isn't special, things being orange against a blue background is. I don't see much blue in Human Revolution.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
kibayasu said:
Netrigan said:

You sorta missed the point of that part of the article. Things being orange isn't special, things being orange against a blue background is. I don't see much blue in Human Revolution.
Watch it again and take note of the other color that shows up a fair bit (the most common colors I see are orange, blue, red, and green... pretty much in that order). They're not doing the orange person against blue background thing, but they're using the blue/orange contrast quite a bit.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Netrigan said:
Watch it again and take note of the other color that shows up a fair bit (the most common colors I see are orange, blue, red, and green... pretty much in that order). They're not doing the orange person against blue background thing, but they're using the blue/orange contrast quite a bit.
I watch things before I comment. I still don't see much blue at all. There's the one corridor, quick cuts of a lab, the shockwave weapon, and the EMP explosion. You can hardly count the EMP grenade since those are always blue. The entire penthouse area is gold and brown, the windows are incredibly bright sunlight, the computer screens are black, brown, and yellow, the laser is gold, guns and objects are surrounded by gold. I don't see much contrast here at all.