New Doom Gameplay Footage Is Bloody And Grim

Hairless Mammoth

New member
Jan 23, 2013
1,595
0
0
That was an intense minute and a half. It might just be clever editing, but this trailer looks like it's closer to the original's fast paced run 'n' gun antics. Also, I think someone at id played some of the Brutal Doom mod.

It might be time for me to build a new PC *must resist hype* (as soon as the GOTY edition of DooM comes out, because I'm still a cheapskate).
 

Clive Howlitzer

New member
Jan 27, 2011
2,783
0
0
I can't judge anything related to Doom until I see the level design and pacing. This is what most games aspiring to capture the appeal of the original Doom always miss.
 

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
2,307
0
0
Out of everything I think I liked the look of their level editor the most... That and I was VERY happy to hear that they kept Doom as an arena shooter rather than a CoD knock off.
 

Clive Howlitzer

New member
Jan 27, 2011
2,783
0
0
vallorn said:
Out of everything I think I liked the look of their level editor the most... That and I was VERY happy to hear that they kept Doom as an arena shooter rather than a CoD knock off.
Here is the thing though. Doom was never an arena shooter. It featured massive sprawling levels, with careful pacing. It wasn't just walking into a big open room, fight off waves of respawning enemies and then move onto the next area. Doom was so much more than that. The reason people oddly remember it as an 'arena shooter' is probably why so many games claiming to be the next Doom fail so hard.

Part of what made Doom was great as it was was the amazing level design, careful pacing, resource management, and fast paced and visceral shooting. It all came together to create an amazing game. It was NOT just another arena shooter.
 
Apr 28, 2008
14,634
0
0
I don't know, I was pretty disappointed in what I saw. Like, the Shadow Warrior reboot came out in 2013 and did what this is trying to do buy way better. I mean to be fair it's not out yet and it was probably played like this for demonstration purposes, but still. If anything all it did was get my hyped for Shadow Warrior 2.
 

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
3,257
0
0
There was what, ten seconds of gameplay there?

The grim part is certainly true, the aesthetic looks incredibly dull, but good on them for adding a level editor.
 

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
2,307
0
0
Clive Howlitzer said:
vallorn said:
Out of everything I think I liked the look of their level editor the most... That and I was VERY happy to hear that they kept Doom as an arena shooter rather than a CoD knock off.
Here is the thing though. Doom was never an arena shooter. It featured massive sprawling levels, with careful pacing. It wasn't just walking into a big open room, fight off waves of respawning enemies and then move onto the next area. Doom was so much more than that. The reason people oddly remember it as an 'arena shooter' is probably why so many games claiming to be the next Doom fail so hard.

Part of what made Doom was great as it was was the amazing level design, careful pacing, resource management, and fast paced and visceral shooting. It all came together to create an amazing game. It was NOT just another arena shooter.
I was referring to the multiplayer section. I was afraid that it would be some horrible abomination of pickups and louadouts like Halo 4's multiplayer is but if they went for a more arena focus in the multiplayer then that WORKS, that's the spirit of multiplayer shooters from those days like Quake. I hope they don't pull that mentality into the single player and so I agree with you on that, but from what I saw it looks promising at least. It's definitely on my "Buy" list but I need more data and info before it's "Buy on day1", "Buy later" or "Buy next summer sale"
 

Ishigami

New member
Sep 1, 2011
830
0
0
Looks like Doom alright.
Damage model for enemies? gruesome? neat!
Well I?m not into competitive MP anymore so I pass on that, the demon invasion on Mars will be enough for me.
 

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
3,147
0
0
Ok iD, you have my attention, please continue....

I must say this looks promising.
 

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
4,419
0
0
the_maestro_sartori said:
What some may call grim and gritty, I call "brownest game ever" :(
Well theres no shortage of demons, so go paint it red. Or green. Or whatever colour of viscera flies out of a demon once you open its ribcage.
 

Smooth Operator

New member
Oct 5, 2010
8,162
0
0
Does look like Doom, however the models looks pretty damn old and the brownness of the demons blends with the brownness of the levels far too much.
I'm guessing this isn't one of their highest budget games made considering ID hasn't been doing that well.
 

Michael Tabbut

New member
May 22, 2013
350
0
0
Given the footage I saw during the livestream and this trailer all I have to say is this...welcome home my old friend.
 

Cowabungaa

New member
Feb 10, 2008
10,806
0
0
Clive Howlitzer said:
I can't judge anything related to Doom until I see the level design and pacing. This is what most games aspiring to capture the appeal of the original Doom always miss.
Well here's the recap:

I'm liking what I'm seeing alright.
 

Coreless

New member
Aug 19, 2011
298
0
0
While I liked the gunplay and the look of the game I just don't understand what the hell they were thinking with bullets and health flying out of bodies like a loot piñata...this isn't Destiny, this isn't Borderlands, this is Doom. The flying loot has absolutely no place in this game and it just looks like they throw it in because its what other games recently have done ignoring why those games do it in the first place.

Why would you ditch static health packs and ammo? it was one of the challenges of the original games was that you had a limited number of health packs to reach the end, making you learn the level encounters and forcing planning in order to beat the hardest difficulties.


Last thing that bothered me was the shimmering effect on the demons, who thought that was a good idea? It is completely immersion breaking. Is it supposed to show that you can use a close combat execution move? Why not just make them stammer to signify that they can be executed? That shimmer effect is just terrible.

Other then that I thought it was a decent return of the franchise, the level and mode customization is exactly what this game needs to keep people playing and interested in the multi-player.
 

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
885
0
0
In terms of what was shown of the aesthetic and level design, it reminded me some mix between Doom 3 and Halo. That's not a good thing.

Movement seemed meh (not all that "fast" as they said but certainly faster than CoD I guess), gunplay seemed decent, enemies seemed rather unresponsive though and exploding into power-ups is pretty dumb - health and ammo was never that plentiful in Doom. Those one-hit finishers, while interesting to look at the RIPPING AND TEARING the first time, gets boring quick and I'd rather just shoot the enemies to death instead.

I don't really have much hope for this but I'll keep an eye one it.
 

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
1,525
0
0
Did anyone else think that he'll looked a lot like Oblivion? I want Bethesda to advertise this game as "like Oblivion with guns!"

But yeah, looks pretty fucking sick. I'm down like a clown.