New Element, 115, Confirmed

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
New Element, 115, Confirmed

The new element hates the term superheavy, it prefers to be called "proton-massive."

New evidence for the existence of a superheavy element has been found by Swedish scientists at the GSI research facility in Germany. The element, atomic number 115, is highly radioactive and only exists for a few seconds before decaying into lighter atoms. The element lives in the section of the periodic table reserved for elements that have only been synthesized in laboratories and which, thankfully, my chemistry teacher never required us to memorize.

A team of Russian scientists first reported the synthesis of a superheavy atom with 115 protons in 2004, but independent study was required to confirm its existence. To recreate the element, a team of Swedish scientists projected a beam of calcium ions, made up of 20 protons, at a thin film of americium, consisting of 90 protons. When the two collided, the atomic nuclei combined to produce a few short-lived atoms with 115 protons. Since element 115 only exists for mere moments, scientists used a special detector to compare the energy signature for the x-ray radiation to the energy the element was expected give off as it quickly degrades. "We observed 30 [atoms] in our three-week-long experiment," study researcher Dirk Rudolph, a professor of atomic physics at Lund University in Sweden, said in an email. The Russian team had detected 37 atoms of element 115 in earlier experiments.

The element, temporarily named ununpentium, was created at the GSI research facility in Germany, where six other elements have also been discovered. By synthesizing superheavy elements, scientists hope to discover new elements with advantageous qualities that can be used for practical purposes.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23849334]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Time for people to start a petition to call the element "Elerium" - I would sign it!

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So in other words, we've discovered a man-made element? I was hoping for more....

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Two more elements and suddenly we'll have people screaming for a videogame name for the element.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
mad825 said:
So in other words, we've discovered a man-made element? I was hoping for more....
We've discovered all natural occurring elements, the table of elements is filled up. All that's left is synthesizing elements with higher and higher proton count that decay so rapidly they don't occur naturally. Scientists hope to find an "island of stability" at around 122 protons where the elements would be long-lived.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
So... Is this going to be used for Time Travel, for Zombies, as an Energy Source, or something related to electronics?
Or have science fiction writers, television shows, and video games been wrong all along?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Chessrook44 said:
Two more elements and suddenly we'll have people screaming for a videogame name for the element.
Considering there are TWO big franchises with an element 115 playing a key-role (XCOM with Elerium and CoD Zombies with... well... Element 115), I say that's totally legit. Besides, "Elerium" does sound like a good name for such things. Might as well take it.

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
Chessrook44 said:
Actually, 115 is some thing from the CoD games, as it is used as all purpose plot hole filler for zombies mode.

why is there a gun that shoots lightning? Element 115.
How do teleporters work? 115.

I preferred it when it was just a little bonus, not half the damn game.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Genocidicles said:

So uh... what can this element do exactly? Anything interesting and life changing?
Best Case Scenario: Superpowers

Most Likely Scenario: Death

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
How is this news? Just about any proton numbered element can be synthesized for a fraction of a second. It becomes newsworthy when it can be made stable.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
What are the possible uses for an element that can only ever exist for a few seconds?

Might as well have called it unobtanium.

This is less a story to encourage further euphoria about physical science, but one that highlights how practically useless a lot of it is becoming.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Gaspochkinium? Franklinium?

Those are the ones I'm hoping for, to honor some overlooked individuals who've changed the way we understand the universe both physically and chemically.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Awesome, now humanity won't have to salvage the stuff from crashed UFOs when the aliens attack! Instant Firestorms, here we come!

In all seriousness though, pretty interesting stuff.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Genocidicles said:
So uh... what can this element do exactly? Anything interesting and life changing?

It can give you psychic powers. All we need now is some Alien Alloys and we'll have our very own plasma guns!

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Bindal said:
Time for people to start a petition to call the element "Elerium" - I would sign it!
ZOMG YES.

I wouldn't have understood this a month ago. I'm glad I do now.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
mad825 said:
It could be naturally made in space, back when all the heavier elements were being made by super novas and planets smashing into each other. But since there is an extremely fast rate of decay it could just fall apart immediately, or we haven't found it yet on a foreign planet.