New Ghostbusters Trailer Introduces Slimer, Shows off Chris Hemsworth

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
LifeCharacter said:
Gorrath said:
Eh, I have a problem in that the movie looks like ass and does not seem funny at all. I think blaming either of those aspects on feminism is devoid of sense. I think it is equally vapid of those who claim that anyone who doesn't like the way the movie looks must just hate women/feminism. I've seen lots of people react negatively to movies they've not seen based on their trailers; I've never seen so many people defend a movie they haven't seen because the trailer, "is just a trailer."
I'd say it's less the fact that there is a negative reaction and more the sheer magnitude of that negative reaction. I have no doubt that there are people who just don't like the way this looks and find it unfunny (since, you know, the trailers haven't exactly been good), I just highly doubt that that is the reason why this movie is getting as much hate as it does.
I can agree with you about that. I think there are a fair number of people who hated the idea of an all-female Ghostbusters and would have derided it no matter what. I also think a lot of the kerfuffle had to do with accusations that if someone didn't like the film it HAD to be because they are a prejudiced bigot. I can't speak to how many people hold either of those views but it was enough to create an antagonistic fire. People hating on a film just because it stars an all-female cast is nonsense and lumping everyone who doesn't like the movie from what they've seen so far is antagonistic nonsense. I have a problem with both of those attitudes, but especially the second because it becomes self-fulfilling. Antagonize the crap out of a huge number of people by claiming they are all bigots and then claim their negative response to being antagonized is caused by their bigotry.

Obviously neither you nor I fall into those attitudes. I'm glad you don't see all negative reaction to the trailers as inherently bigoted and I don't see you as being antagonistic for pointing out that some of that reaction is, certainly, driven by bigotry. I think it's probably fair to say that we represent how most people probably feel but it's bigotry and antagonism that get the limelight.

Edit: Also, I do actually like this trailer more than the last one. It does indeed make the movie look better than the first did. There's still a lot more bad than good though and I'm still not at all happy with what I see.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Well, it's better than the first trailer, I guess. I still didn't find it funny though.

Also, I'm sorry, but Leslie Jones annoyed the hell out of me.

"I DON'T KNOW IF THAT WAS A RACE THING OR A LADY THING!" That was just painful.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
Well, my expectations for the movie have raised from "Absolute trash" to "Lower-Middle attempt at a comedy".

I've no real qualms about the cast. I mean, none of them were ever particularly funny or well known to me beforehand, so most of my understanding of their comedic abilities has come from the trailers. Maybe I'm doing them, and the movie a disservice with that, but so far the trailers haven't been particularly convincing.

I always thought that the actors made ghostbusters what it was. Its not the proton packs, or slimer or the ghost apocalypse that made it, it was the people they had on hand. It seems the writer/director here for the reboot believes the opposite. The original was pretty much lighting in a bottle and I don't for a second expect any reboot attempt to match it, but so far it seems they've just tried mimicking the old formula without understanding the secret ingredient.

I guess I'll wait and see what happens, but I'm not exactly expecting much.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Something Amyss said:
Ooookay...why didn't they lead with this?

It's not a perfect trailer by any means, but it is leaps and bounds better than that first one.
Significantly better.

Actually made it look fun.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
It looks okay. I wish I could say that I didn't understand why so many people have a problem with a reboot because it had a bad trailer, but someone's already declared the movie tainted by feminism in this very thread so I can't.
If you havent understood why people dislike this movie by now im afraid you simply dont want to understand them.. but as to my feminism comment:

Sorry i should have been more precise: tainted by Faux feminism.

The new Ghostbusters is just another victim of the virtue signaling agenda. The entire project was a complete disaster from start to finish. They where so focused on the all female team that they completly lost view about what it really was that made the first two movies so remarkable.

The humor wasnt slapstick, in your face and silly oneliners. It was the sarcasm and wry dry humor of the main cast that where pushed into ridiculus situations. Aka: They simply reacted to the world around them. This however? This is some weird slapstick / stand up comedy. It lacks the believability of the first 2 ghostbuster movies. The entire movie is a big joke... and thus is treated like one.

When i see the cast of the new movie i dont see a group of scientists (and a non scientist) who go out ghost hunting with the inventions they created, causing all sorts of shenanigans and saving the world in the process.

I see a cast of comedians pretending to be ghost hunters. There is no suspension of disbelief, these women in no way look like everyday people.. they look artificial.. and the stereotypes...oh god the stereotypes. "Sassy black woman" "freaky blonde" "nerdy teacher" "fat woman"... thats it... that is all their characters amount to and i doubt there will be any more then that.

The "jokes" are scary movie level quality... fat jokes? vagina jokes? Really? Memes? Thats all feig could come up with?

The concept of an all female team could have worked if it had been handled with the necesary care and professionalism.. this however? They put clown shoes on the ghostbuster franchise and pushed it out the door.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
So yeah better than the first.

Fine with them using Slimer because... well it's Slimer but would like to know what context, in the first he was just a bad guy, in the second he was the loveable pet that they kind of put up with, what is he in this one? Did he just hang around the fire station when the original guys left?

What worried me was the final ghost

StayPuft Marshmallow man I see?
I sure hope not, the movie is already looking to reference way to much of the original movies without reviving the 'old bad guys' mind you saying that I am guessing both Vigo the Carpathian and Gozer the Destroyer would both be too scary for this movie.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Hey, they moved up from an F- to a D+. Definitely better, but still not particularly good.

The effects just don't look great, and the dialog is largely....eh.

And the sheer ambivalence to someone they know getting possessed right in front of their eyes also made me wonder why they're even ghostbusters if something like that occurring 50 feet from them is met with, at MOST, a "Huh, that's probably not good".

That's like a firefighter watching someone's house light on fire stand there and go "Hmm....someone should do something about that."

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
They got some decent chuckles out of me. Come on, this is way better. Even though the current climate made me cringe so hard when she said "I don't know if this was a race-thing or a women-thing, but I'm mad as hell."

Way more satisfied.

But thanks to the first trailer, I know of a lot of lines and jokes that will blow the good ones out of the water. By far. If this, the second one, was the only trailer, they might have tricked me into watching it.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Huh. Kinda neat. I wouldn't try to compare it to the first Ghostbusters or anything, but thanks to this trailer it seems like a basically watchable sci-fi comedy.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
It still looks like a bad movie.

The sad thing is that this bland looking, unoriginal and not very funny looking flick will provoke insane amounts of online debate over the next couple of months. Anyone who criticises it, at all, will be denounced as a racist, misogynistic basement dweller, and anyone who praises it, at all, will be denounced as a man-hating feminazi social justice warrior.

It is fucking depressing that online/geek culture has been, and will continue to, devote so much energy to giving a shit about this... product. Like it's actually worth the argument.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I'll echo the "bad, but better than first trailer" sentiments.

I almost laughed at the gargoyle ghost bit at the end but it went on too long and never got to the punchline. I know the punchline is going to be in the movie and that's the point but the setup will still be too long.

It's groan inducing, but not cringeworthy.

I'm still not going to watch it, but more because Tarzan and Star Trek are going to be the movies I go to in July than anything else.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
...Better...but that joke over lady or black. Just no, besides aren't they forgetting weight? Lord knows If someone that big came diving down at me regardless of race or gender I'd be doing my best to get out of the way.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Something Amyss said:
Ooookay...why didn't they lead with this?

It's not a perfect trailer by any means, but it is leaps and bounds better than that first one.
Yeah, if they'd lead with this one, I would have been merely cynical instead of hateful. Still some things that bug me, though.

In light of the way Sony's been handling criticism, the line about "Is this a race thing or a lady thing? Either way, I'm mad as hell!" rings as speaking directly (and insultingly) to the audience. But that was probably there to begin with, so that may not reflect anything in the movie.

They hired Chris Hemsworth to replace Rick Moranis. Does anybody else think that's an odd decision? I mean, there's room for some good humor there; a guy who's physically the embodiment of masculine perfection as perceived by the modern culture having a personality that is exactly the opposite could be funny for its juxtaposition if it's done right, but something tells me they won't just based on what they thought was their best foot forward in the first trailer.

Still don't think a hard reboot was really necessary. And still annoyed by the sleek, high tech look of this versus the original's home-made from spit and duct tape look, but that's something I could get over if the writing was good.

But I'm still bothered by the performances. They keep delivering the lines in that obnoxious verbal-wink tone. You know, the one where they're signifying that they are obviously telling a joke because they don't think you're smart enough to recognize a joke on your own? The kind of tone that no good comedy movie has ever used because if you're ACTUALLY funny, you don't have to tell the audience that you're funny? Yeah, that's all over in this trailer.

Yeah, I'm still not buying it, Sony.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still not funny and the ghosts still look like fake. too much glow effect. seeing new scenes was kind of better but thats pretty much the only good about this crappy trailer. this is going to fail. but then, it may cash in because people want to see how terrible the movie is. then sony will claim its "financially" successful and ignores all the criticism.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
In light of the way Sony's been handling criticism, the line about "Is this a race thing or a lady thing? Either way, I'm mad as hell!" rings as speaking directly (and insultingly) to the audience. But that was probably there to begin with, so that may not reflect anything in the movie.
We already saw this clip, though.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
It's legitimately upsetting that after two very funny movies, Bridesmaids and Spy, this is the shitty one.

I wanted to like it. I don't think it looks funny. I haven't watched any trailers but one before Batman vs Superman and it was easily the worst thing about that 3 hour ordeal. Not a laugh in the theater, and I swear I heard boos.

Why race jokes and slimy vagina jokes? Winston's race was never a punchline and the only sex joke was Sigourney Weaver's body and that ghost blowing Ray in a wetdream. Where is the relatable aspects of these characters? These goons all legitimately feel like SNL characters and not the realistic snarking every-persons that the original cast felt like.

Worst of all, why are the special effects so BAD! The original came out in 1984 and like Alien, the effects are STILL incredible. Why isn't that the case in 2016? And why does it feel like a sex-comedy with ghosts? The original was a legit horror-thriller with hilarious jokes and relatable dudes in the roles, and Annie Potts.

I'm going back to playing Doom (2016), a game that ACTUALLY got how to reboot a series right.