New Ghostbusters trailer: Not as horrible?

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Fappy said:
Kinda wish this film didn't have the weird politics surrounding it so that we could all unanimously agree that it's a complete waste of time.
I agree SO much with this. I can dislike the movie and think it's stupid for reasons COMPLETELY unrelated to the sex of the actors.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
axlryder said:
Also, there's no way that "race or lady" bit wasn't intentional. Graceful.
...Nor, I suspect, the "...What do we think of these Ghostbusters? Are they to be taken seriously?" line. C'mon, Feig. Snapping at the heels of the trolls doesn't endear you to anyone who thinks the movie might fail for any other reason.

I agree that it's a better trailer, but "better" doesn't equal "good". I'm not feeling chemistry between the leads, excitement, or humor... And that the powers that be are probably going to write it off as "And we would have gotten away with it, too, if not for you racist, misogynistic trolls" is just making me increasingly depressed.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
It was ... ok I guess. Some lines actually gave me a hint of a smile. No chuckles or actual laughter, but better than nothing. And they mostly used the original song so that's better, I guess.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Elfgore said:
Did they seriously bring back the stay puff marshmallow man? I don't think it can be said enough times, fuck this unoriginal, painfully unfunny movie.
Its something called Rowan. Supposed to be based off of the iconic logo.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I snickered a little bit at the part where the demon-thing was on Leslie Jones' shoulders. Oh and I know I'm probably the only one, but I kind of like the dubstep version of the Ghostbusters theme. That's it. If the movie was rated R, I could concede that maybe it will be funnier than it looks (since they can't show many jokes in the previews) but as a PG-13 movie it looks awful.

Also, the Ghosts look like they borrowed them from "The Haunted Mansion" with Eddie Murphy.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
minkus_draconus said:
Catfood220 said:
Maybe its a Ghostbusters thing, maybe because I grew up with the films and the cartoons and the toys that I finally know the feeling of having my childhood violated.
Bayformers didn't do that for you already?
Honestly, not really. The films are not good, but Transformers weren't that big a part of my childhood unlike Ghostbusters, so the films never hurt me as much as they hurt others.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Meh, I'm still on the fence about this movie, though this trailer was somewhat better. Though I'm not sure about the callbacks to the original...

Aug 31, 2012
Trailer looked a lot less shit than the last one, but I haven't really given a crap about films since the mid 2000's and this doesn't change that.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
"I don't know if it was a race thing or a lady thing but i'm mad as hell"

This is such shit writing.

Also their voices are mixed in too loud.

Oh and it's still not funny.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Well... Wasn't quite as bad as the first trailer, I suppose?

Still looked like complete crap, but, hey, slightly better.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
I snickered a little bit at the part where the demon-thing was on Leslie Jones' shoulders. Oh and I know I'm probably the only one, but I kind of like the dubstep version of the Ghostbusters theme. That's it. If the movie was rated R, I could concede that maybe it will be funnier than it looks (since they can't show many jokes in the previews) but as a PG-13 movie it looks awful.

Also, the Ghosts look like they borrowed them from "The Haunted Mansion" with Eddie Murphy.
Nah, I too like the new version of the theme song. The original is really damn corny, and electronic as hell. Which confuses me when I hear people talking about them changing the song, as if the original is some piece of music that wasn't totally on 80's synthesizers and sound machines.

OT: Still don't find it very funny.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Better than the first one. Sassy Black lady trope is still cringe worthy. Chris Hemsworth is clearly phoning it in but was kinda funny. If they had started with this one it might have gone a bit better to be honest. I typically file a lot more movies under "wait for it to appear on netflix" than "I must see this immediately." This still reaches the former rather than the latter.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Nup. Still bad. In fact, I think it might be even worse because if it wasn't certain before, it's certain now that this is well and truly rehashing the original film.

I think James Rolfe put it best in saying that Ghostbusters could do something similar to The Force Awakens or Star Trek 2009 - have the old cast pass the torch onto the new cast, and continue the story. Even if TFA rehashes a lot from A New Hope, it's still its own story. I find that far more appealing than a reboot.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Nah, I too like the new version of the theme song. The original is really damn corny, and electronic as hell. Which confuses me when I hear people talking about them changing the song, as if the original is some piece of music that wasn't totally on 80's synthesizers and sound machines.
I don't think it's something that anyone who was not alive in the 80s would really understand. :p

The saddest thing about this movie is that it COULD have been really good. Instead of trying to recapture the original (because when does that ever work?) they could have had the original Ghostbusters getting rich selling franchises to their operation, and focused the story on a group of women who had pooled their funds to buy a franchise, trying to set up somewhere NOT New York City. Maybe a rural ghost busting operation somewhere in Idaho? Instead of the repurposed hearse ECTO-1, one of these ladies might have owned a broken-down pickup that the others want to repaint and turn into their cheapo emergency response vehicle. There's a lot of fun things that could have been done with this concept, what a shame they went the route they did.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Callate said:
axlryder said:
Also, there's no way that "race or lady" bit wasn't intentional. Graceful.
...Nor, I suspect, the "...What do we think of these Ghostbusters? Are they to be taken seriously?" line. C'mon, Feig. Snapping at the heels of the trolls doesn't endear you to anyone who thinks the movie might fail for any other reason.
Actually, in the original Ghostbusters movies, that was public sentiment. Nobody took the Ghostbusters serious because people didn't believe in ghosts. This could be that same sentiment reaching into this movie. But I do agree that this joke confirms what people were speculating about Patty's character.

This trailer made me chuckle at the beginning with the "But you girls can handle it" bit and I thought maybe it had a bit of promise. But the rest of the trailer just reconfirmed my original thoughts. This movie looks bad. Now it looks even more like Scary Movie + Bridesmaids.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
infohippie said:
Happyninja42 said:
I don't think it's something that anyone who was not alive in the 80s would really understand. :p
I'm not sure here, but it seems like you are implying that I don't understand the true joy of the original Ghostbusters theme song, because you think I wasn't alive in the 80's? If so, you are completely wrong, but thank you for making blanket assumptions about me without any actual information. If that is indeed what you were saying. If not, then nevermind.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
infohippie said:
Happyninja42 said:
I'm not sure here, but it seems like you are implying that I don't understand the true joy of the original Ghostbusters theme song, because you think I wasn't alive in the 80's? If so, you are completely wrong, but thank you for making blanket assumptions about me without any actual information. If that is indeed what you were saying. If not, then nevermind.
It was a tongue-cheek throwaway comment. Wow people on the internet are goddamn sensitive these days.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
infohippie said:
Happyninja42 said:
infohippie said:
Happyninja42 said:
It was a tongue-cheek throwaway comment. Wow people on the internet are goddamn sensitive these days.
Yeah, because the internet is totally bereft of people who make thinly veiled, insulting comments, clearly I was silly to question which intent you had with your statement. I also love how someone simply pointing out what you say is "goddamn sensitive". Love the further assumptions being made.