New Ghostbusters trailer: Not as horrible?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Pluvia said:
My favourite part about all these Ghostbusters trailers is seeing our nerd culture try to say it's not because it's an all-female cast.

We can see movies like Pixels, or even Terminator reboots, not get nearly as much dislikes as a reboot of this dead franchise for some suspicious reason.
Pixels isn't a reboot of a franchise that has a cult following. Terminator reboots don't look remotely as terrible as this Ghostbusters mess. You're comparing apples and oranges.

And those Youtube comments? Man. One of the highest rated comments on this page right now is "But why are they out of the kitchen?".
That's Youtube, it's pretty par for the course. Youtube comments are the cesspool of the internet, they're frequently worse than 4chan.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Well this trailer was at least better than the first one. But as a wise person once said "polish a turd it's still a turd"

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to buy some popcorn and wait for the new round of articles of, how we are all sexist and misogynistic, cause you know they are going to be coming.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Pluvia said:
infohippie said:
Pixels isn't a reboot of a franchise that has a cult following. Terminator reboots don't look remotely as terrible as this Ghostbusters mess. You're comparing apples and oranges.
I disagree. Terminator 5 was a reboot that retconned out the 2nd Terminator movie. This is a straight reboot that doesn't touch the original Ghostbusters, yet it has suspiciously far more hate.
There's a Terminator 5? Wow, haven't they given up yet? Maybe that's why, I don't think a lot of people even heard of it.

Pluvia said:
That's Youtube, it's pretty par for the course. Youtube comments are the cesspool of the internet, they're frequently worse than 4chan.
Weird how random comments are all you hear about other things though. Have you ever heard of people complaining about being called "racist" for disliking Johnny Storm being black in Fantastic 4? Do you think those complaints came from officials like the studio, director and actors? Or do you think it came from random comments on the Internet?
Every time someone says an actor should/shouldn't have been cast in anything because he is/isn't black/white/Asian/brindled/corrugated/whatever, yes I do hear the term "racism" being flung around like chimps with their poo. It's practically the first thing anyone says. I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean about the "random comments", though.

To address your original point, I don't plan on watching this, I think it looks terrible with forced unfunny "humour" and cringeworthy characters. I don't have a problem with the cast being female, though. I do think it is a terrible waste, squandering an opportunity to make a genuinely worthwhile film about a group of female ghostbusters. If they weren't so fixated on trying to mirror the original we otherwise could have had a good movie that could stand on its own merits.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Elfgore said:
Did they seriously bring back the stay puff marshmallow man? I don't think it can be said enough times, fuck this unoriginal, painfully unfunny movie.
I think the opposite: I LOVE seeing the puff marhmallow man again!!! However this means that the ghost the fight is again a Gatekeeper like in the original? Maybe we will see again the Zuul Dogs again?

The trailer is 200% better than the first one. Good Job People!!!
Very excited for the Heavy Metal Ghost as well.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Also, what is it about current American comedy and the need for having that awkward pause humor. 'Oh wait, you were-... Okay my bad I thought I was gonna...' These sort of joke stumbles that are apparently funny for not landing, cuz 'Oooh awkwardness'.
You can blame that on Ben Stiller, who spent a good portion of his career making movies based around "D'oh, I wonder what kind of awkward and crazy situations he'll get into this time!"

As for the movie: still looks like shit. I'm with James Rolfe on this one: when Harold Ramis died, they should have let this franchise die with him.

Michel Henzel said:
Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to buy some popcorn and wait for the new round of articles of, how we are all sexist and misogynistic, cause you know they are going to be coming.
Don't forget that we're just a bunch of asshole nerds who don't know what comedy is. :p

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Pluvia said:
My favourite part about all these Ghostbusters trailers is seeing our nerd culture try to say it's not because it's an all-female cast.
So, rather than accept that people have issues with this movie, you're just going to put your fingers in your ears and declare "NANANANANA, SEXISTS, SEXISTS, NANANANA"?

That's.. Uh, an interesting idea of moral high ground.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Pluvia said:
Ah, so you're going with the Obama Defense for this one, are you? In the early days of his administration, we had Jimmy Carter doing an interview saying that Obama is such an amazing president that there's no way anyone could possibly disagree with him. The only way anyone could go against his agenda would be if they're just straight-up racists, because that's the only logical explanation. It certainly couldn't be that these people have their own opinion on how the country should be run and their opinion goes contrary to Obama's administration. Nah, it's not that. People don't have differing opinions on matters like that. So they're just a bunch of racists, it's as simple as that.

In the case of this movie, we couldn't possibly look at the trailer, see and hear the jokes for ourselves, and come up with our own opinion of "This looks terrible and unfunny." No, no, that just doesn't make any sense. That would imply that we were able to formulate our own opinion on what we've been shown and we somehow think that what we've been shown is a festering pile of dog crap. It has to be that we're just a bunch of sexist bastards still living in the 50's. That's surely why we don't like this movie.

Also: the reason no one complains about the Terminator franchise is because people stopped caring about that franchise after Terminator 3. This will be the first Ghostbusters movie since 1989.

And finally, for anyone saying that a couple bad trailers doesn't mean that the movie itself will be bad, I'll say you're absolutely right. Not all movies with bad trailers turn out to be bad. However the recent example of Batman v Superman reminds us that sometimes bad trailers are indeed indicative of bad movies.

(edited to fix the quote)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Pluvia said:
For some of us it's not because it's an all-female cast. Sure, for some people that is an issue, but some of us genuinely dislike it because it doesn't look funny. This might be shocking for you, but it's true.

Pluvia said:
We can see movies like Pixels, or even Terminator reboots, not get nearly as much dislikes as a reboot of this dead franchise for some suspicious reason.
Because as soon as that group that does voice their "all-girl" opinion tossed their hat into the mix, the other side tossed theirs in. And now it's no longer actually about the movie, it's just another arena for those 2 factions to piss on each other on the internet...like they do everywhere they come into contact. Sure, a comment directly about the movie might start the flamewar, but it quickly devolves into mudslinging about everything but the actual movie. Why? Because for those 2 vocal groups, the "It's all women it sucks! You damn feminists!" and the "You just don't like it because you are a woman hating man-thing!" That's the big issue. They don't really give a shit about the movie at that point, they just want to ***** at each other, for any reason. And this is the new hot reason to ***** at each other.

Pluvia said:
And those Youtube comments? Man. One of the highest rated comments on this page right now is "But why are they out of the kitchen?".
Right, because people like stirring up shit, so they click likes on it, because they know that means it's going to stay at the top of the comment section, and thus piss off the feminists, and thus continue the toxic pissing contest. It's the behavior of that very familiar internet creature that we can't mention on this site, but likes to live under bridges and fuck with goats.....ooooh my. So yeah, not really a surprise there. That doesn't really mean it's the "nerd community", that's just internet assholes being internet assholes. Stirring up shit because they can, and they get off on it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Pluvia said:
I'm just calling it like it is. There's a massive discrepancy with all the hate towards Ghostbusters. Unusually high. I'm just not pretending it doesn't exist.
No, you're not calling it like it is, you're calling it like you assume it is. As I mentioned: you're assuming that the only possible reason people could dislike this movie is because they're clearly sexist and raging against an all female cast.

Did it even cross your mind that maybe - just maybe - it's a movie that many, many people feel will not be funny or entertaining based on what they've seen in the trailer? No, of course not, because that wouldn't fit the narrative that the "nerd culture" is filled with a bunch of sexist pigs.

Now I'm not so naive as to assume there aren't some pricks out there that are upset that their boys club movie has been given to a female cast, however you're painting with VERY broad strokes if you assume that the majority of the negativity towards these trailers is due to this.

"Calling it like it is" would be acknowledging that there's a fair portion of the negativity is about a full female cast, however half of that is probably just trolls trying to get a rise out of people like you (i.e. the "What are they doing out of the kitchen?" comment you referenced earlier). The rest are people who legitimately have no interest in seeing this movie because it just looks straight-up bad based upon what's been shown in the trailers.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Pluvia said:
Why is there a massive discrepancy? Why are all the comments about the same things?
The answer is simple: to get a reaction out of people like you because they know it's easy to set people like you off. I've said my piece, and quite frankly I really don't care. I was merely trying to get you to acknowledge that there's plenty of reasons to feel negatively about this movie that don't involve sexism. For instance, regarding the negativity that was seen before the trailers even came out: many fans were upset that they're making this movie in the first place since Harold Ramis ins't around to write and direct it. They see it as a heartless cash-grab like so many reboots of nostalgic properties are these days.

I'm not going to see this movie because it looks absolutely terrible. And if you think that makes me a sexist then whatever, you're just a random ya-hoo on the internet. Just like me. Just like the commenters on YouTube.

Assuming that YouTube comments/dislike votes are an adequate sample to judge the majority opinion on what appears to be a crap-tastic movie is the same as assuming that the Westboro Baptist Church is an adequate sample to judge how all Christians think.

With that, I'm off. Keep waging your crusade if that's what makes you feel better about people not liking what appears to be a terrible movie, what you do is none of my concern.

Have a pleasant day. :)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I didn't see a major difference between the two. The funniest thing in the movie was Chris Hemsworth, and I don't get the impression that he really cares. The black lady made me cringe with the whole "race thing lady thing."

I'm inclined to believe the director when he said that the funniest people he knew were women. He made bridesmaids, after all. Maybe that's just what he's comfortable with. It doesn't change the fact that the film looks unfunny, and I won't see it.

infohippie said:
Happyninja42 said:
Nah, I too like the new version of the theme song. The original is really damn corny, and electronic as hell. Which confuses me when I hear people talking about them changing the song, as if the original is some piece of music that wasn't totally on 80's synthesizers and sound machines.
I don't think it's something that anyone who was not alive in the 80s would really understand. :p

The saddest thing about this movie is that it COULD have been really good. Instead of trying to recapture the original (because when does that ever work?) they could have had the original Ghostbusters getting rich selling franchises to their operation, and focused the story on a group of women who had pooled their funds to buy a franchise, trying to set up somewhere NOT New York City. Maybe a rural ghost busting operation somewhere in Idaho? Instead of the repurposed hearse ECTO-1, one of these ladies might have owned a broken-down pickup that the others want to repaint and turn into their cheapo emergency response vehicle. There's a lot of fun things that could have been done with this concept, what a shame they went the route they did.
That... Is genius, actually.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I would say that this is a better trailer. Though, I'm not sure if that is because the last trailer was so awful that it put a hole in rock bottom, so even a bad trailer looks good in comparison, or because this trailer was actually a bit more competent.

Sadly, the damage has been done. I have no desire to see this movie, and no one I know does either, so I won't be going to see it with others. I'd much rather watch the original again. In fact, maybe I should. Get some friends together for a movie night, and watch Ghostbusters and some other films, like Deadpool.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Pluvia said:

I don't think it looks like shit because it's all females. I think it looks like shit because it looks like shit. I love, love, love Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy is funny given the right writing. But this movie looks awful. I would love for it to be good, but none of the trailers point towards that. I for one would like to see a good all female Ghostbusters movie, but I don't want to see this one.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah, not as bad. Still not anything I'd ever spend any money on.
Agreed. If there were still a dollar theater near where I live I might have seen it when it went there, but there isn't so I'm going to pass.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
It looks a bit better than the previous trailer, but that's no victory by any means.