New IGN Contest: No Girls Allowed

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
Christ. I think you could possibly be over reacting.

So it's only open to males, so what? I'm sure they'll equal it up with a female only contest too. Maybe theres a more a specific reason?

Either way, it's not exactly trying to highlight the fact it's only for men are they?
No. No, they won't. I can assure you that they won't make a female-only contest.

hcig said:
D_987 said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Well im a boy so i qualify for this contest, but honestly the prize sounds really lame. I dont want to meet peter jackson or the people from district9. In my group of friends its only girls who care about comi-con, so why cant they just take my place? I guess no one at IGN has a girlfriend? Do they employ women at IGN, so many questions come up now.
Jessica Chobot?

(I think thats her name?)
jessica chobot is a conservative, so yea, she is probably cool with sexism

Caliostro said:
Sounds gay.

...Literally, sounds like someone's only keen on being surrounded by the good'ol "meat fire hose" if you know what I mean... To each his own I guess...
RAPE IN IMMINENT

megapenguinx said:
Esc.Control said:
Number 2: If they had a contest open only to girls, no one would bat an eye. So why the double-standard?
Yeah, I'm finding a lot of double standards in equality talks these days. But I'd actually like an example in which a contest was open to only girls..
are you serious? think hard, REALLY hard.

okay woah, too hard.

there was one recently, it threw gasoline on the gay fire...

they also CONSTANTLY have girls contest for girly shit, like you know...girls shit. video games is serious buisness, and primarily made of mens, so why not?

i think its great, dude only means you dont have to hear constant complaints from your contest winner, zing!
Christ, don't be a ****. Some proper grammar and diction goes a long way.
Also, don't be a sexist. Saying "video games is serious business and primarily made of mens" (sic), while calling things that are usually associated with women "girly shit, like you know...girls shit" (sic) shows a bigoted, sexist and above all primitive view.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Clashero said:
megapenguinx said:
Esc.Control said:
Number 2: If they had a contest open only to girls, no one would bat an eye. So why the double-standard?
Yeah, I'm finding a lot of double standards in equality talks these days. But I'd actually like an example in which a contest was open to only girls..
are you serious? think hard, REALLY hard.

okay woah, too hard.

there was one recently, it threw gasoline on the gay fire...

they also CONSTANTLY have girls contest for girly shit, like you know...girls shit. video games is serious buisness, and primarily made of mens, so why not?

i think its great, dude only means you dont have to hear constant complaints from your contest winner, zing!
Christ, don't be a ****. Some proper grammar and diction goes a long way.
Also, don't be a sexist. Saying "video games is serious business and primarily made of mens" (sic), while calling things that are usually associated with women "girly shit, like you know...girls shit" (sic) shows a bigoted, sexist and above all primitive view.[/quote]

While I'm not completely agreeing, to a certain extent it's true.

I'm sure if you crunched some numbers, you'd find that more purchases on video games are done by men.

Also, the "girly shit" games he may be refering to... well, really theres isn't much of a different way to describe them than "Pretty sparkley things for under 12 year old females". They include ponies, make-up and other sexist based things.

He effectively made a sexist comment, about sexist games.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Im not going to say this isnt unfair or wrong, but my first thought definitely was that this will only get complaints because its the "wrong" kind of exclusion. If it were the "right" kind, say aimed only at girls to garner more female interest in gaming or some other "typically male" hobby, it would probably be hailed as a positive thing.

It seems that if you arent "teh opprezzed", you have to feel completely sanguine about being told to fuck off, cos you aint invited.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Given the theme of the movie and the fact that this has been opened up to all by now, I'd say what they did was pretty clever. Not sure how I feel about it just yet, but I get it.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
"Hey, let's isolate girl gamers further, because they weren't already in a minority in the game industry."

Smart move, IGN. /sarcasm

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:
Malygris said:
*Quoted to poke*
I sent a message to IGN, inquiring why this was the case. I got a quite nice and civil reply:

Code:
Hi Lewis,

The eligibility requirements for this contest were determined by Columbia TriStar Marketing, the marketing team behind the District 9 film, and were passed on as a directive to IGN as Sponsor of this particular Sweepstakes running on the IGN.com site. 

While IGN supports gamers of all ages, genders, shapes and sizes,  these guidelines were created  to foster a buzz for the film among a very narrow target group that the film's promoters felt would be extremely passionate about the film's subject matter. 

Thanks for listening, we hope this provides some clarification...

Sincerely,

Christine Henderson - Senior Manager, Customer Service
yeah_so_no said:
Malygris said:
District 9 [http://www.ign.com], but there's a catch: Only boys can play.
They just changed the rules--they now allow men and women between 18 and 24. Or rather, they have a male drawing and a female drawing for people 18-24. [http://microsites.ign.com/d9/rules.html]

Behold, the power of Bad Press and Internet Backlash.
Someone needs to update the front page, because people are missing these posts and ranting on about fairness.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
THIS IS AN UTTER OUTRAGE! HOW DARE THEY DISCRIMINATE US!

I mean come on us Brits wanna enter too :(

On a serious note this is pretty mean spirited and thank god its been changed (also why is the word "Chick" used so much in the OP?)

Tenchan

Sep 11, 2007
Glad it's at least somewhat changed, because it was a steaming pile of sexist bullshit, and there is no way to talk around that. (The gender based segregation is still all kinds of problematic, but it's better than before.)

(And yes, I do oppose most 'girls only' things too, though it saddens me that I have to say that explicitly just to protect myself from rampant assumptions.)

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Frankly I'd rather not go to the sausage fest that is Comic-Con under these conditions, bring back the girls!

S53

Jul 18, 2009
hcig said:
jessica chobot is a conservative, so yea, she is probably cool with sexism
That was uncalled for. Don't generalize. It just pisses people off.

And yeah, this contest. Weird. I don't agree with the parameters. There's nothing in there that would bar a female. (No free Bachelor party, lol.) They should change it for the sake of being politically correct. Oh, and that IGN doesn't get boycotted. That would totally make my day.

keithdrover

Jul 19, 2009
I interned at IGN about half a decade ago at their shared GameSpy office by John Wayne Airport in by Irvine, CA, and I'd say about half the office was comprised of women. I'm sure this is a marketing ploy that the movie pushed upon the people that were going to promote it, and IGN probably got some loot to promote, it and therefore had to abide by the marketing rules setforth by the movie. It's all just a big 'attention-getter,' like it's doing here, and viral marketing and forum conversations are exactly what they want. Bad publicity is still publicity. I can only hope is has some tiny nibble of morality and ethical backbone in the end, but I have no faith in big Hollywood productions. Peter should go back and just make The Hobbit instead of wasting his time on crap. He's obviously got Tolkien nailed down. :)

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
That's just... bad. No matter how you spin it. We're past things as large as boys-only voting, for fuck's sake, why would we devolve to have a boys only contest?

Ugh... I can't even find a good enough fail or facepalm picture to show my dissapointment on this.
I can understand a boys only contest for like a years supply of condoms or face razors, but... this is just wrong

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
Malygris said:
I find myself aflame with feministic rage.

Not that I could or would, have entered the contest, regardless of my chromsomes, I can't believe this is actually happening.

And I gotta say; whilst I'm sure you were being sarcastic or something, I found the tone of your article... not offensive, but something damn similar. Like this line; "Whatever the case, I'm sure the boyfriends of the nation will be happy to explain it using small words and short sentences when they get home." Normally I'm fine with sexist jokes, but that... that has really got my back up.

As I said, I'm sure you were joking. I'm still angry.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
Wow, that was hilarious. I almost peed a little when I read your thread. Go ahead ladies, flame on, I don't care about being politically correct or anything like that. It was funny=I laughed. The end.

Anyway, that is really weird that girls can't participate. Maybe later they will have an girls-only contest. Who knows.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
There are a lot of good reasons for this, of course. Chicks don't like comic books. Chicks don't understand sci-fi. Asking a chick to "cover" a complex, multi-layered film like District 9 is unfair and obviously expecting way too much. And let's face it, this is an internet contest so it's not like many chicks are going to find out about it anyway.
That's nonsense. Obviously only chicks who're actually interested in comics and sci-fi would even consider entering the contest, so those reasons are bogus.

I'd love to hear the official explanation for this.

On a side note:
Entrants must be residents of the United States,
Boo!! hiss!!