New Metal Gear game: Metal Gear Survive

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I'll decide what I think after I've seen more than a mere trailer. Still, it's Konami, so I won't exactly be holding my breath.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
You know, I'd be legit interested in a spin off game where you play as an MSF Survivor having to run from XOF for the 9 years while Big Boss was in a coma.
Imagine being a "Normal" soldier in the Metal Gear world?
Just-...while I kinda dig what they are doing, I really hope that the whole "Alternate Dimension" thing is just one really trippy Coma dream.

AXimilao_Elotus

Aug 13, 2016
I've been a die-hard Metal Gear fan since I was a young lad. It's the franchise that literally made me the gamer that I am today. It's underlying themes throughout the immense story line have had an enormous impact on my take on games and even life as a whole. I'm not the only fan who feels this way. There are many folks who dismiss the franchise for whatever reason, but that just goes with a user's preference as to what they personally enjoy.

No matter one's position on Metal Gear, it's obviously clear that the fan base is dedicated and loyal to preservation of it's iconic characters that have influenced us so much. For those, like me, that had the pleasure of watching the story unfold as time went on, got the full effect of it all once it came full circle. The climax of it all literally made me weep. Never in my life had I felt such heavy emotions attached to people who were not real. It's not something that can be so easily captured again, if ever at all. Every great story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. You just can't hope to recapture that experience with a cash-in philosphy. It's time to move on.

Do you hear that Konami? It's fucking over. Big Boss's story has been told, his sons' story have been told, almost every character imaginable has been fleshed out to some degree, and we've already forgiven you for one shitty spin-off (Rising wasn't a poorly made game by any sentiment, but it was not a true Metal Gear experience), so please, just do us all the favor, save yourself the embarrassment that will be this horrendous title and just bury it.

I will not buy this game, nor will I ever contribute to Konami in anyway in the future. They've tainted a masterpiece, and have lost what was probably the most dedicated fan base to a video game ever by making the most obvious flaws a developer could make at this point. They are literally succumbing to what is in vogue with this survival horror, co-op influenced, shoot 'em up carbon copy piece of garbage that could have just stood on it's own two legs as an entirely separate entity without having to taint such an iconic franchise. If that were the case, then maybe I wouldn't be so harsh about it. I still probably would, but for different reasons I suppose.

I don't find the game to be remotely interesting at all, not simply because I'm so biased of the series, but because it just does not look fun. It's something I've seen and done a thousand times. How about starting something new without having to ruin what is already established?

They seriously played us a like a damn fiddle...

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Just to need to address something here by posting Jim's new video:

I really don't like we judge a game just like that. Because F*cKonami right? Can't we just wait to see if the game is actually good before get to hate every single thing about the game.

"Generic Zombies" Jim said. Where the freaking flying f*ck is the "generic" in the trailer? I see mutated steel crystallized humans with their half their head missing with a red crystal coming from their inside. I don't see a generic zombie here Jim.
Also did we forgot Resident Evil did the same and the result was something marvelous?

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Ezekiel said:
I could really go for an MGS that isn't another fucking prequel. But I know the only reason this exists is because they're using most of the assets from MGSV. I don't think Konami are capable of delivering a story campaign like the previous games, especially with all new assets. So they go with the generic zombie mode.
Reusing is right, the trailer is so halfassed it can't even seem to keep the lore straight. The game involves The soldiers from Peace Walker's Mother Base that got blown up in ground zeroes, but the soldiers are wearing uniforms that look closer to the Diamond Dogs era of uniform, and the wrecked oil rig towards the end of the trailer is the MGS 5 Mother Base, not the one that got blown up by Skullface and sucked into an alternate dimension in this trailer, which makes it look like they are just reusing the MGSV assets.

To be fair, it's possible to make this work by explaining that the rig the base is built around is that alternate dimension's version of the MGSV rig that they found, but it's confusing as fuck to basically show the original Mother Base being sucked into the portal in the beginning, and then showing them fighting around a wreck of MGSV's rig, they aren't the same thing, and they don't look the same at all.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
AXimilao_Elodus said:
Do you hear that Konami? It's fucking over. Big Boss's story has been told, his sons' story have been told, almost every character imaginable has been fleshed out to some degree, and we've already forgiven you for one shitty spin-off (Rising wasn't a poorly made game by any sentiment, but it was not a true Metal Gear experience), so please, just do us all the favor, save yourself the embarrassment that will be this horrendous title and just bury it.

I will not buy this game, nor will I ever contribute to Konami in anyway in the future. They've tainted a masterpiece, and have lost what was probably the most dedicated fan base to a video game ever by making the most obvious flaws a developer could make at this point. They are literally succumbing to what is in vogue with this survival horror, co-op influenced, shoot 'em up carbon copy piece of garbage that could have just stood on it's own two legs as an entirely separate entity without having to taint such an iconic franchise. If that were the case, then maybe I wouldn't be so harsh about it. I still probably would, but for different reasons I suppose.

I don't find the game to be remotely interesting at all, not simply because I'm so biased of the series, but because it just does not look fun. It's something I've seen and done a thousand times. How about starting something new without having to ruin what is already established?

First of, I am sorry for feeling that way. I can't imagine how you feel to be a loyal fan.
With that said, Konami made the right decision and confirm it is an alternative universe connected with the main canon story only in the beginning [the Wormhole we see in the video]. So they don't destroy the story of Big Boss and Sons directly at least. Because lets face it, Big Boss was a Terminator Robot at some point. I WANT this Konami! NOW!!!!
Metal Gear Rising is badass, 10/10 and you should feel bad for calling it sh*tty. But yeah, joking of course, but I like it.
Finally lets face a fact: Everything action Konami will do now, will get criticized for it.
"Why you made a Pachinko game? Noooooo create a new game!!!"
*Konami create a new game*
"Waaaaaaah!!! I don't like the game!!! make it like the old ones!!!"
*in the future Konami create a classic Metal Gear game*
*FFFffFFf******ck!!! Why you want to destroy the story of Big Boss and the others sons?!?!?!?*
*Holy sh*t f*cking nugget! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!?!?!*

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Diablo1099 said:
You know, I'd be legit interested in a spin off game where you play as an MSF Survivor having to run from XOF for the 9 years while Big Boss was in a coma.
Imagine being a "Normal" soldier in the Metal Gear world?
Just-...while I kinda dig what they are doing, I really hope that the whole "Alternate Dimension" thing is just one really trippy Coma dream.
I really love to see a game [like this one maybe in the end], that you are the underdog: Just a generic soldier becoming something awesome and get to visit other survivors players as well.
Also something from the video. The Underdog Hero was blond before he get suck in the Wormhole. After that his hair turn black. Curious.

AXimilao_Elotus

Aug 13, 2016
SweetShark said:
AXimilao_Elodus said:

First of, I am sorry for feeling that way. I can't imagine how you feel to be a loyal fan.
With that said, Konami made the right decision and confirm it is an alternative universe connected with the main canon story only in the beginning [the Wormhole we see in the video]. So they don't destroy the story of Big Boss and Sons directly at least. Because lets face it, Big Boss was a Terminator Robot at some point. I WANT this Konami! NOW!!!!
Metal Gear Rising is badass, 10/10 and you should feel bad for calling it sh*tty. But yeah, joking of course, but I like it.
Finally lets face a fact: Everything action Konami will do now, will get criticized for it.
"Why you made a Pachinko game? Noooooo create a new game!!!"
*Konami create a new game*
"Waaaaaaah!!! I don't like the game!!! make it like the old ones!!!"
*in the future Konami create a classic Metal Gear game*
*FFFffFFf******ck!!! Why you want to destroy the story of Big Boss and the others sons?!?!?!?*
*Holy sh*t f*cking nugget! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!?!?!*
To someone who may not be as passionate as I am towards the series, I can see how I can come off as nit-picky with my comments. But honestly, it doesn't matter what universe it's in or how it's not tied into the canonical events of the others. To me, this alternative universe is unnecessary and really makes no sense, especially at this point, considering the ending to MGSV: The Phanton Pain was left much to be desired in terms of a climax. It would have been a much wiser investment to flesh out what was hanging in the rift of obscurity that came with the game's abrupt ending rather than move on and develop something completely contradictory to the game's original premise. In the comic book world I can see how one could get away with such an outrageous "what-if" kind of scenario, but I don't think this is the way to go about it, nor is it the proper place.

The reason why fans like me ***** and whine about preservation of the game's mechanics, presentation, and structure is because it's unique, it's special, and, most importantly, it works. When something is not broken you do not fix it. This statement has never held more true than with the Metal Gear franchise. I will also state that I acclaimed both parts of MGSV to be masterpieces, so I am open for innovation to a point considering there were tons of new mechanics and things to learn in order to master them. I feel like they were so successful because they're built off the basic premise of mechanics and gameplay already present in the previous titles. It's an expansion of the skills you've already obtained from playing before.

I don't feel bad for calling Rising shitty because I feel like it wasn't necessary to begin with. Is it a good game? Yeah, I'm sure it's fun to play. Is it a good game to a Metal Gear fan? Depends on which one you ask. Will the game maintain the same level of longevity of the other games? Absolutely not. This overall divide of reception comes down to basically one reason: it's not a stealth-based action game anymore. It doesn't capture what Metal Gear is anymore - the sense of urgency of lying in wait, the anxious feeling you get while hiding in plain sight, or that heart-pounding scenario of eluding/defeating enemies in a hostile environment after one has been spotted. Rising captured nothing that any other faceless hack 'n' slash game couldn't offer me already. Does that mean that high frequency lightning bolt action is not fun? Of course not. But honestly, if the game was incorporated into the games canonical story line of events, and stayed true to the formula that made it a unique franchise in the first place, than I may have been more interested in it.

It seems like they are following the same lead here with Metal Gear Survive. It's almost as if they are afraid to embrace the structure of what the franchise was built around of fear of fucking it up, and in doing so, are still fucking it up. That's all fine and dandy (I guess - the canonical titles and what they have given me will forever be instilled in my heart) but my biggest gripe about all of this - and many fans will agree - is that they don't seem to care about what they are leaving behind.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
SweetShark said:
Just to need to address something here by posting Jim's new video:

I really don't like we judge a game just like that. Because F*cKonami right? Can't we just wait to see if the game is actually good before get to hate every single thing about the game.

"Generic Zombies" Jim said. Where the freaking flying f*ck is the "generic" in the trailer? I see mutated steel crystallized humans with their half their head missing with a red crystal coming from their inside. I don't see a generic zombie here Jim.
Also did we forgot Resident Evil did the same and the result was something marvelous?
Dude, I appreciate the attempt at Devil's Advocacy but c'mon, how long have you been gaming? You don't smell the "corporate laziness" and soulless milking of an owned IP all over this mess?

I'm sure the lot of us pray that our predictions of disaster are gonna be wrong but the 30+ years of gaming experience in me says we won't be.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Ezekiel said:
ZombieProof said:
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:
Jesus, this REEKS of soulless, corporate, design-by-committee.

Disgusting.
well I rather have this than boring, repetetive MGS5..
Points for consistency B-Cell.

Points for consistency.
Yeah, I'm confused. Black Cell is always saying he hates multiplayer.
Oh but he loves being a contrarian. Bucking popular opinion in an effort to insight flame really gets his willy singin'

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ezekiel said:
ZombieProof said:
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:
Jesus, this REEKS of soulless, corporate, design-by-committee.

Disgusting.
well I rather have this than boring, repetetive MGS5..
Points for consistency B-Cell.

Points for consistency.
Yeah, I'm confused. Black Cell is always saying he hates multiplayer.

Edit: I regret replying. Wasn't really interested in his answer.
Well it doesnot mean im excited for this metal gear whatever. if i hate MGS5.

also Quake champions is one of my most anticipated game.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
ZombieProof said:
Dude, I appreciate the attempt at Devil's Advocacy but c'mon, how long have you been gaming? You don't smell the "corporate laziness" and soulless milking of an owned IP all over this mess?

I'm sure the lot of us pray that our predictions of disaster are gonna be wrong but the 30+ years of gaming experience in me says we won't be.
This is why I am more open minded when I see a new game: I don't judge a game until I play it. This is the whole point of Videogames after all. Have the controller into your hands and start playing it. THEN we will judge.
Also maybe in the end I would love to play a similar game like Resident Evil 4 in Metal Gear Universe. I don't like to play the same formula all the time.

My case in point is MGS5: Great game, 8/10, but I would had put a greater score if it wasn't so goddamn long [I agree with B-Cell being repetitive]. Also that why I LOVE Metal Gear Rising while others hate it with passion. Is different.

I welcome the idea of a FPS Starcraft.
I welcome the idea of a Megaman game like Metroid Prime.
I welcome the idea of Metal Gear with Cards.
I welcome the idea of etc etc etc etc.

Because I play so many games, I welcome something different from a well-known Videogame Series.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
AXimilao_Elodus said:
To someone who may not be as passionate as I am towards the series, I can see how I can come off as nit-picky with my comments. But honestly, it doesn't matter what universe it's in or how it's not tied into the canonical events of the others. To me, this alternative universe is unnecessary and really makes no sense, especially at this point, considering the ending to MGSV: The Phanton Pain was left much to be desired in terms of a climax. It would have been a much wiser investment to flesh out what was hanging in the rift of obscurity that came with the game's abrupt ending rather than move on and develop something completely contradictory to the game's original premise. In the comic book world I can see how one could get away with such an outrageous "what-if" kind of scenario, but I don't think this is the way to go about it, nor is it the proper place.

The reason why fans like me ***** and whine about preservation of the game's mechanics, presentation, and structure is because it's unique, it's special, and, most importantly, it works. When something is not broken you do not fix it. This statement has never held more true than with the Metal Gear franchise. I will also state that I acclaimed both parts of MGSV to be masterpieces, so I am open for innovation to a point considering there were tons of new mechanics and things to learn in order to master them. I feel like they were so successful because they're built off the basic premise of mechanics and gameplay already present in the previous titles. It's an expansion of the skills you've already obtained from playing before.

I don't feel bad for calling Rising shitty because I feel like it wasn't necessary to begin with. Is it a good game? Yeah, I'm sure it's fun to play. Is it a good game to a Metal Gear fan? Depends on which one you ask. Will the game maintain the same level of longevity of the other games? Absolutely not. This overall divide of reception comes down to basically one reason: it's not a stealth-based action game anymore. It doesn't capture what Metal Gear is anymore - the sense of urgency of lying in wait, the anxious feeling you get while hiding in plain sight, or that heart-pounding scenario of eluding/defeating enemies in a hostile environment after one has been spotted. Rising captured nothing that any other faceless hack 'n' slash game couldn't offer me already. Does that mean that high frequency lightning bolt action is not fun? Of course not. But honestly, if the game was incorporated into the games canonical story line of events, and stayed true to the formula that made it a unique franchise in the first place, than I may have been more interested in it.

It seems like they are following the same lead here with Metal Gear Survive. It's almost as if they are afraid to embrace the structure of what the franchise was built around of fear of fucking it up, and in doing so, are still fucking it up. That's all fine and dandy (I guess - the canonical titles and what they have given me will forever be instilled in my heart) but my biggest gripe about all of this - and many fans will agree - is that they don't seem to care about what they are leaving behind.
Even if in the trailer it seems like a Resident Evil 4 clone game, Konami said it will have stealth game in reality.
I am one of the people I hope it isn't a stealth game, but a RE4 like game for me to enjoy.
Like I said in a previous comment, I played so many games that I want something different from a well-known franchise. Many of the examples I wrote become canceled because of outrage of fans sadly...
But you guess it already by saying I want Terminator Big Boss be the Last Boss.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
So this is basically them giving the finger to Kojima, right?

I've never really been interested in this series and this trailer certainly didn't change that. If anything, it has completely lost all the personality that at least had me paying some attention to the series.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
SweetShark said:
ZombieProof said:

This is why I am more open minded when I see a new game: I don't judge a game until I play it. This is the whole point of Videogames after all. Have the controller into your hands and start playing it. THEN we will judge.
Also maybe in the end I would love to play a similar game like Resident Evil 4 in Metal Gear Universe. I don't like to play the same formula all the time.

My case in point is MGS5: Great game, 8/10, but I would had put a greater score if it wasn't so goddamn long [I agree with B-Cell being repetitive]. Also that why I LOVE Metal Gear Rising while others hate it with passion. Is different.

Because I play so many games, I welcome something different from a well-known Videogame Series.
I'm with you totally man, but judging something prematurely and discussing the merits at hand of what we're being presented with (and from who) are two completely different things. I can't speak for others in this thread but my sentiments come from the latter category. A lot more is going on here than folks negatively judging a game that just dropped out of thin air from a vacuum. Konami's latest treatment of their IP's and Kojima cast a large shadow thats rather difficult to ignore when attempting to surmise what the quality of anything they do will be, good or bad.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
ZombieProof said:
SweetShark said:
ZombieProof said:

I'm with you totally man, but judging something prematurely and discussing the merits at hand of what we're being presented with (and from who) are two completely different things. I can't speak for others in this thread but my sentiments come from the latter category. A lot more is going on here than folks negatively judging a game that just dropped out of thin air from a vacuum. Konami's latest treatment of their IP's and Kojima cast a large shadow thats rather difficult to ignore when attempting to surmise what the quality of anything they do will be, good or bad.
Fair enough. I am not angry or anything if you though like that. We just having a discussion after all.
Yes, if I look the trailer an judge it only from that...well, still interesting to see how it will turn out. Not exciting or anything of course, but as I said million of times, I hope for a RE4 clone.