New MMO Brings Old Testament Online

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Darth_Dude said:
vansau said:
breese said:
Sooo just thought I'd point out that this game isn't actually "Christian". It's more accurate to say that it's Jewish. Anything pre-New Testament, especially Genesis was originally (and remains to be) part of the Torah, the Jewish "bible".

Yeah this is probably being made by some Christians, but I doubt it will have any Christian Dogma in it.
It's called "The Bible Online", and they're planning to incorporate other chapters from the Bible in the future. Pretty sure it's Christian.
Yes, Christianity started out a Jewish Sect, and alot of the beliefs in the Old Testament are essential to the beliefs and tenanents in christianity.

p.s If I reply to you (vansau) and you get a notification, will "breese" also get a reply notification?
I believe so.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
So... how do they plan to explain 7000 Abrahams, Isaacs and Jacobs all interacting with each other? Or was there a redefinition of the term MMO while i was away?

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Halceon said:
So... how do they plan to explain 7000 Abrahams, Isaacs and Jacobs all interacting with each other? Or was there a redefinition of the term MMO while i was away?
It'll be like America's Army! Where everyone appears as a dirty heathen and only you are the true believer!

And the developers will miss the message that it's sending out.

But no, I have no idea how it will work.

Chevy235

Jun 8, 2010
MaxPowers666 said:
During the crusades/wars they killed off more people then hitler did simply because they had a different belief and yet we fully accept that as normal.
*spit take*

Where did you hear that one?? I doubt the population of that area was anywhere NEAR 12 million.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
MaxPowers666 said:
I just find it strange that we always see dictators like stalin and hitler as these extremely evil people but the christian church which killed far far more is perfectly acceptable. The only way I can see that this works is simply because our countries are mostly christian or at least have a large christian base. Its not just them its most religions that have done this before.
First of all, Hitler was religious, but not in the same way as nearly anyone you or I would know. He blended his (Christian) upbringing with the acceptable (at the time) 'Aryan Race' focused cults of the time. Stalin was quite obviously atheist, and to be religious under his regime was pretty much to sign your death warrant. Somewhere between 10 and 30 million people died under his rule. As Chevy235 said, the Crusades probably couldn't have killed that many. And it doesn't matter, because people don't kill each other over religion, they kill each other over control of what matters to them.

Religion and Natural Philosophy was what mattered before society got us to the point where we don't think we might die on a daily basis. Religion no longer calls the shots - many people are 'religious' but most people have a faith-based or spirituality-based belief system more than religious-based belief system. The holdouts who think we should base our governmental systems off of religious beliefs are a dying breed, and they are fighting it very vocally, but they aren't in any way a majority.

All this means one day (which I think has already passed, you may disagree) you won't have religion to blame when people are still killing each other for no fucking reason other than that they think they should.

I actually anticipate a repression or marginalization of religion in the future. I come from a religious background (Catholic of all things), but I am not particularly religious myself, so such a thing doesn't directly affect me, but it would go against my libertarian beliefs, so I tend to defend religious people (not necessarily religion) where I see the need.

Sep 4, 2009
I think the Bible is great, its much better than the other books in the fiction section of my local book store. Its even better than Twilight!

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
worst idea ever. if this depicts actual 'facts' from the bible. there's gunna be a lot of new atheists in town.

IntricateMadman

Oct 14, 2009
I'll say it, at least it'll be more realistic that Matt Dickie's atrocity, The YOU Testament. Or can you German Suplex Jesus in this game too?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Woodsey said:
Isn't the Old Testament the one with all the really nasty shit in it (that a lot of people seem to conveniently brush over)?

Anyway, I'm sure this will be a huge hit with... ummm... someone?
Yeah - who's going to bet that you're never going to get to incinerate a city and turn people into salt for watching, or interactively perv on anothers' wife, have her husband killed and then marry her. Eh, it's a bible game - all the fun stuff will be casually white-washed away.

One small point - biblically, 'God's people' were pretty intolerant. Does that mean that in an MMO setting 1) everyone is following their own one true God, and attempting to genocide the others and 2) that there's going to be no foul language filter - you know, to help keep things historically accurate ;)

breese said:
Sooo just thought I'd point out that this game isn't actually "Christian". It's more accurate to say that it's Jewish. Anything pre-New Testament, especially Genesis was originally (and remains to be) part of the Torah, the Jewish "bible".
Yeah, that's a good point - Christianity only existed once Christ popped up! Much more accurate to tout this as a Jewish game, lol.