New mythological creature to get behind?

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
RebelRising said:
The Kraken or Midgard serpent of Norse mythology were cool, especially when Thor went fishing with a giant and almost caught it.
Midgard serpent all the way!!! :D
Also, the fenris wolf :)

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
jasoncyrus said:
Dragons.

MUCH more interesting than zombies, ghouls, etc.

But if you want undead things then I'd go for wraiths or death gods probably since theres growing popularity for them. (and i dont mean just bleach versions)

3rd rung said:
Radeonx said:
The vikings from Valhalla. They are completely awesome!

How about all norse mythology it is really cool
Egyptian and greek are pretty cool also and follow the same mythology mechanics and layout.

I'm personally quite into the Titans mythology.
The problem with Greek is its too overplayed we all know MOST of their mythology and when you study different civilizations the Greeks get the biggest part. Norse, hardly gets talked about. Egyptian is fairly decent. How about Indian? Not Native American Indian I'm talking India Indian......

my opinion anyways

on topic

Manticore or a sphinx

or a Siren

SevenStarSonata

Jul 26, 2009
Drakmeire said:
I just think it's a poorly written series of books taken way to seriously by it's fans. I understand that the vampire thing is of little importance but did they have to ruin a creature so close to the hearts of horror fans. Oh and they made werewolves pedofiles, If they diden't please explain that part of the book where the werewolf ex-boyfriend falls in love with the newborn baby. (note:I am not making this up)
How did it ruin vampires for horror fans, though? The Twilight vampires and vampires of horror flicks are two very different, distinct creatures. One is not meant to interfere with the other, and, in fact, it is often mentioned in the Twilight books themselves that the Cullens (and other vampires) do not follow classic vampire myth in the slightest.

As for labeling the Twilight shapeshifters "pedophiles", you have either been grossly misled or are simply desperate to hate the series for the sake of hating it. The concept to which you refer, imprinting, did indeed cause a 17-year-old boy to imprint on a newborn girl. However, as he said so himself, he has no romantic feelings for her. He merely wants her to be safe and happy. Until she is of age, his feelings for her are entirely platonic - more that of an extremely devoted father or older brother than a lover of any sort. Platonic love can be every bit as strong as romantic love.

Spoiler'd 'cause it has nothing to do with mythological creatures to get behind...unless you're picking out dirty images from my mind in which case....yes.

On-topic: Knock yourselves out. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures] :D I particularly like the "blue monk that kidnapps children" one, somewhere in the A's.

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
My vote goes for the Gelatinous Cube.

FUCK YEAH!

No face, no motivation, just 10 feet (or more) of dungeon scouring, level one party eating power....and they go great with toast!

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Drakmeire said:
o whoops I forgot "twilight" ruined werewolves too sorry for forgeting that.
TWILIIIGHT!!!

but howsabout a combonation of what twilight ruined, WereBats. Or TYPHON

Note: can't find a good picture of the the dude but the discription is a Dragon with a hundred tails a horse head 99 snake heads and Giant wings.

owner276

Jul 3, 2009
Grayjack72 said:
Manticores! Head of a man, body of a lion, wings of a bat, and the tail of a scorpion capable of shooting poisonous spines!
Add a couple missle launchers and chainsaws and you have the best creature ever!!!! (in case you couldn't tell, I like heavy metal album covers :)

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
SevenStarSonata said:
Drakmeire said:
SevenStarSonata said:
I just think it's a poorly written series of books taken way to seriously by it's fans. I understand that the vampire thing is of little importance but did they have to ruin a creature so close to the hearts of horror fans. Oh and they made werewolves pedofiles, If they diden't please explain that part of the book where the werewolf ex-boyfriend falls in love with the newborn baby. (note:I am not making this up)
How did it ruin vampires for horror fans, though? The Twilight vampires and vampires of horror flicks are two very different, distinct creatures. One is not meant to interfere with the other, and, in fact, it is often mentioned in the Twilight books themselves that the Cullens (and other vampires) do not follow classic vampire myth in the slightest.

As for labeling the Twilight shapeshifters "pedophiles", you have either been grossly misled or are simply desperate to hate the series for the sake of hating it. The concept to which you refer, imprinting, did indeed cause a 17-year-old boy to imprint on a newborn girl. However, as he said so himself, he has no romantic feelings for her. he merely wants her to be safe and happy. Until she is of age, his feelings for her are entirely platonic - more that of an extremely devoted father or older brother than a lover of any sort. Platonic love can be every bit as strong as romantic love.
Drakmeire said:
ok as long as that is explained(at least a little bit)but I can't be the only one who finds that a little too weird.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Werewolves. Pure awesome.
plus, they are everywhere and nowhere, and they're german. very large cookie WITH ice cream for reference.
I didn't know Schroodinger was a werewolf... I always thought he was some kind of cat thing, or at least that is what I've heard.

B12

Jun 20, 2009
Alps definitely need some more love. They're supposedly mischevious beings who have Tarnkappe's, or hats that allow them to shapeshift. They like to sit on sleeping peoples chest and give them nightmares (see: sleep paralysis) and ride hroses to exhaustion during the night. They can also enter a sleepers dream by turning into mist and being inhaled.

Hmm, here's the nine year olds explanation http://alptarnkappe.deviantart.com/art/A-Visual-Guide-To-The-Alp-99711797

I think they're kinda funny.

Also needz moar luv, nix/nixies/nyads? and other river spirits (not necessarily sirens). Also dryads (tree spirits? hope I'm not switching water and trees)

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
dee_dubs said:
I think I'm gonna have to go with the Fey. Not the cutesy, happy fairies that Disney made famous, I'm talking about the old school Fey. The ones who kidnap children who go into between places, incredibly powerful creatures who play with mortal lives. The original fairy stories were there to frighten children into not straying off the path, and they were a lot more fun than the modern versions.

oooh and the hell hounds of the wild hunt of the fey............i forgot about that........ooooh......

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
baslisk? fenrir? griffin? giants/cyclops's/troll's? (no not the internet kind) chimera? gorgon's? cerberus? the hydra? kraken? manticore? Minotaur? sphinx? dragons? werewolf?

i got more!

oh and anything from norse mythology

Birras

Jun 19, 2008
Although I harbor great love for the Gelatinous Cube and the mighty Kraken, I must cast my vote for the mighty mimic. You walk up to a box. You think you are getting a lamp out of said box. The box has eaten you. It never was a box, it just wanted you to think so.

(I couldn't find the Monster Manual image of a mimic, and my scanner is broked)

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Ken_J said:
Drakmeire said:
o whoops I forgot "twilight" ruined werewolves too sorry for forgeting that.
TWILIIIGHT!!!

but howsabout a combonation of what twilight ruined, WereBats. Or TYPHON

Note: can't find a good picture of the the dude but the discription is a Dragon with a hundred tails a horse head 99 snake heads and Giant wings.
oh, how the hell didn't I say that! from the day i saw it on my weird and wild creature cards, i was like "oh my god! totally awesome!" my description was always a donkey's head with 99 snake heads sprouting from the neck, a man's torso and arms, but instead of hands it had 100 snakes on each hand for fingers. for legs, it just had a bunch of tentacles. oh no. GAH! GAAAAAAAH! IT COULD BE FEATURED IN...H...H...HENTAI! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

wizzerd229

Man of many Ideas
May 22, 2009
WEREWOLVES!!!!(yes i am trying to shout, grammar Nazis)(Twilight did not ruin werewolves, they arn't werewolves. I am. No realy, i am. Well in the mind, like i go to a werewolf like state. but i digress. WEREWOLVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
[img/]http://stupidcelebrities.net/wp-content/williamshatner2.jpg[/img]
How much more mythological can you fucking get?

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Drakmeire said:
I understand that the vampire thing is of little importance but did they have to ruin a creature so close to the hearts of horror fans?
hell, there are some of us who loved the werewolves the ruined too, *schoridinger fans* *rip van fans*

isn't rip van a werewolf? i always wondered whether she was a vampire or werewolf. hellsing fans, please enlighten me.
I am going to go with vampire, because when Alucard confronted her he said "Those that dare impersonate the dead are judged to join their ranks" and as far as I know werewolves aren't actually undead, so that's were I stand. Also as I recall they fought under a full moon and she didn't transform, so there.