New Nintendo 3DS PAX Aus Hands On: Unimpressive Upgrades

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I knew absolutely nothin about this other than it had upgraded hardware, the 3D didn't suck as much, and that it had a c-stick again. Really really happy the first two are true. Really annoyed the third isn't what I thought it was goin to be. How do you even use that thing while still continuin to hit buttons? Use your pointer finger and push buttons with your middle finger? That looks awkward as hell.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Remember those old-school laptops, that had a little nub in the middle of the keyboard to control the mouse? Remember how much you hated those and how inaccurate they were? Well, that's what the New 3DS's c-stick is. Using it is not fun: It's not accurate, it feels weird, and it actually starts to hurt your thumb after a while.
I remember those! They did exactly what I wanted them to, touching them didn't cause clicks where you didn't want, and they were all-around wonderful.
I miss them. Stupid dominance of touchpad due to everyone trying to be like Apple...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Remember those old-school laptops, that had a little nub in the middle of the keyboard to control the mouse? Remember how much you hated those and how inaccurate they were?
Trackpads aren't nearly as accurate in my experience. I actually miss these things...
Souplex said:
Steven Bogos said:
Remember those old-school laptops, that had a little nub in the middle of the keyboard to control the mouse? Remember how much you hated those and how inaccurate they were? Well, that's what the New 3DS's c-stick is. Using it is not fun: It's not accurate, it feels weird, and it actually starts to hurt your thumb after a while.
I remember those! They did exactly what I wanted them to, touching them didn't cause clicks where you didn't want, and they were all-around wonderful.
I miss them. Stupid dominance of touchpad due to everyone trying to be like Apple...
Wait... Did we just agree about something?

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
The fact they bring out a new version of the hardware is why I don't buy DS's anymore, say what you will about console's at least they had consistency. That and Pokemon has become Stagnet and samey to me.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
From what I'm reading, the stick seems to be pretty love-it-or-hate it. I've heard an equal amount of people praise and trash its addition. I guess I won't truly know whether or not it's worth it until I try it out myself. I hope they have it on display at a Best Buy or something when this hits the states.

Also, wait, wait hold up, did someone just say that the 3DS might be disappointing because of a potential lack of exclusive software? But... that implies that exclusive software on a handheld console upgrade is a positive thing.... But this is the Escapist. Is tha... is that allowed?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I knew that nipple was awkward.
shintakie10 said:
I knew absolutely nothin about this other than it had upgraded hardware, the 3D didn't suck as much, and that it had a c-stick again. Really really happy the first two are true. Really annoyed the third isn't what I thought it was goin to be. How do you even use that thing while still continuin to hit buttons? Use your pointer finger and push buttons with your middle finger? That looks awkward as hell.
You treat it like a second analogue stick.
Remove thumb to push buttons, stuff that needs pushing while using the stick (like shooting while aiming) goes on the shoulderpads.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
BX3 said:
From what I'm reading, the stick seems to be pretty love-it-or-hate it. I've heard an equal amount of people praise and trash its addition. I guess I won't truly know whether or not it's worth it until I try it out myself. I hope they have it on display at a Best Buy or something when this hits the states.

Also, wait, wait hold up, did someone just say that the 3DS might be disappointing because of a potential lack of exclusive software? But... that implies that exclusive software on a handheld console upgrade is a positive thing.... But this is the Escapist. Is tha... is that allowed?
Hmm? I'm confused. I wasn't impressed with all the new features on the system, so the only thing it really had "going for it" was the potential to have exclusive titles that take advantage of the beefier hardware. Thus, only good exclusives would (in my opinion) justify a purchase of the system.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I really love the "I'm not a hardware engineer, but" comments. I've been loving them for the six straight months that they were saying them since the circle pad pro was created. Let's hear more about that. Hell, you can include a crudely drawn image of how you would place it, and I can put it in my collection of crudely drawn images of how people would do it.

But yeah, I guess I'll just have to try the nub myself, see if it works out or not.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
weirdee said:
I really love the "I'm not a hardware engineer, but" comments. I've been loving them for the six straight months that they were saying them since the circle pad pro was created. Let's hear more about that. Hell, you can include a crudely drawn image of how you would place it, and I can put it in my collection of crudely drawn images of how people would do it.
Well, people always have to play engineer/analyst/designer whenever they encounter something they don't like. I'll try out the for myself if I get the chance.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Great job, Ninty. You improved the feature that, while was a selling point in the 3DS's early life, is barely used after people get over the novelty of 3D and starting enjoying the games for what they are. Yet, you made the new feature your touting painful to use and inaccurate. I would have put a smaller slide pad under the face buttons and if the pad needed to be made larger to be used comfortably, moved the face button up an inch. Though, I can see Nintendo added this on as an afterthought to appease the few devs and customers that wanted the circle pad pro integrated into the unit. Most future games will only use it because it's there and would have relied on touch screen controls otherwise.

I really, really, really hope Nintendo holds off releasing this thing in other regions until 2016 (and possibly with design improvements). It is just too short of a hardware generation, and a very lackluster jump at that, to be making many other market have to invest in another portable system. Hopefully, most devs/pubs hold off on making software for it until the 3DS really does start looking long in the tooth. Big N might have made this since the 3DS in now saturated[footnote]I heard the 3DS units sold now outnumber Japan's population. Nintendo may make a profit off each unit sold, but I think their being greedy towards their worldwide customers in making this so soon.[/footnote] in their home country, but couldn't they have had one or two years to see how software sells in such a large global install base.

Broken Record Time: Nintendo please hire someone to give your games and hardware better names, or stop punishing the vocal interns that say "'Wii U' or 'New 3DS' sounds hard to market and might confuse the public," with extra coffee trips. You've gotten worse than Apple slapping "i" in front of almost every consumer product they push. They're at least consistent; you're confusing. You could have called this thing the "3DS Dual Action" (3DA), "3DS Multi-Control" (MC 3DS, 3DS MC), "Ultra 3DS," or "3DS Pro" just to name a few. I just did a better job than your marketing department. I'll accept payment in the form of 2D or Retro developed Metroid games.

the_retro_gamer

Apr 8, 2013
A "New" 3DS. Are you kidding me? Geez Nintendo, fire the person that naming all your new systems. You are just going to end up confusing the uninformed masses. Seriously what happens when I own this thing for a few years, does it become a Old "New" 3DS?

I'm also sorry to hear that this extra control stick works like those old laptop ones. I was expecting along the lines of another slide pad. Overall this 3DS is going to be a little disappointing, well except that xenoblade chronicles is coming to it so it's not a total loss.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So, basically a waste of effort. Again.

*sigh*
Nintendo, I know that for the better part of the last decade you've been "The quirky one" of the console big three, but PLEASE consider where the human hand (regardless of age) will be situated when holding the 3DS.

We aren't lizard-people; NOBODY wants to claw their fucking hands around the 3DS awkwardly, or use a stylus-touchpad to play surrogate for the missing analog control. Kid Icarus: Uprising suffered GREATLY because of this.

SO WHY DID YOU MAKE THE NEW ANALOG NUB INHUMANLY UNCOMFORTABLE?!
It blows my mind that the same company that published Metroid Prime (which did the best it could with awkward control requirements) hasn't figured this shit out!
At the very LEAST, the rework of the hardware should have addressed the symmetry issues.

Of course, Nintendo was working with horrific inefficiency issues in the 3DS' design to begin with given the amount of volume that's being wasted on that dual-display business. Either that, or there's some other concession being made in manufacturing.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Wait, don't tell me Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate's now a New 3DS exlusive. The main reason I got my 3DS XL is just so I could play MH3U and MH4U!

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
BX3 said:

Hmm? I'm confused. I wasn't impressed with all the new features on the system, so the only thing it really had "going for it" was the potential to have exclusive titles that take advantage of the beefier hardware. Thus, only good exclusives would (in my opinion) justify a purchase of the system.
Well, considering Xenoblade was the first New 3DS exclusive announced, they have taken at least ONE positive step forward......

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Baron von Blitztank said:
Wait, don't tell me Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate's now a New 3DS exlusive. The main reason I got my 3DS XL is just so I could play MH3U and MH4U!
It isn't don't worry.

Atmos Duality said:
So, basically a waste of effort. Again.

*sigh*
Nintendo, I know that for the better part of the last decade you've been "The quirky one" of the console big three, but PLEASE consider where the human hand (regardless of age) will be situated when holding the 3DS.

We aren't lizard-people; NOBODY wants to claw their fucking hands around the 3DS awkwardly, or use a stylus-touchpad to play surrogate for the missing analog control. Kid Icarus: Uprising suffered GREATLY because of this.

SO WHY DID YOU MAKE THE NEW ANALOG NUB INHUMANLY UNCOMFORTABLE?!
It blows my mind that the same company that published Metroid Prime (which did the best it could with awkward control requirements) hasn't figured this shit out!
At the very LEAST, the rework of the hardware should have addressed the symmetry issues.

Of course, Nintendo was working with horrific inefficiency issues in the 3DS' design to begin with given the amount of volume that's being wasted on that dual-display business. Either that, or there's some other concession being made in manufacturing.
I don't understand what you and others are saying about this claw issue. Do you find yourself able to use the right stick and press buttons on the Wii U, PS4, or XB1? I never have.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The Apple BOOM said:
I don't understand what you and others are saying about this claw issue. Do you find yourself able to use the right stick and press buttons on the Wii U, PS4, or XB1? I never have.
I can, and have since around 2001.

On the previous gen controllers (or at least, anything that's like the dual-shock design; PS1->PS4, Xbone/360, & Gamecube) I have these marvelous little things called "shoulder buttons" that I can use my index and middle fingers to press while using the analog pads. That's up to four simultaneous inputs that my thumbs will NEVER have to worry about.

Now, there are obviously other buttons on the face of those controllers for your thumbs to press, but smart game design (at least, where 3D camera controls are involved) will place important/timely functions on the shoulder buttons rather than the face buttons; or at least, those functions you're most likely to use while using the analog sticks.

The problem arises when you're missing one of those sticks and have to use other controls to make up for it.

On the 3DS, this means either sacrificing the ABXY buttons to use as a surrogate D-pad , OR using the touchscreen and stylus. The latter is exceptionally awkward, because it doesn't just alter how you input commands, but how you hold the entire unit. (and the awkwardness applies to left or right-handed folks, but lefties have it especially rough since the circle pad is on the left side of the 3DS)

Since you have to dedicate at least a finger and thumb to holding the stylus, this negates both the advantage of the shoulder button, and comfortable usage of ABXY buttons (which become EXCEPTIONALLY awkward to press).

Kid Icarus: Uprising showcases this design failure completely. It's possible to learn how to "claw" the buttons you need, but your hands pay for it.

Without some automation of the camera system (which isn't possible in all 3D games), those control concessions limits game design options, which is why handhelds need to stick to 2D games or slower, turn based games (Pokemon works great on handhelds for this reason).

I encourage you to at least try something like Kid Icarus Uprising, or any PSP-original port of Monster Hunter and then compare it to a contemporary 3D-camera console game. If you still don't notice the difference, well, allow me to officially welcome you to Earth on behalf of humanity, lizard-folk. ;p

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
BX3 said:

You'll have to forgive me then. It seems like everywhere else I've been, its users have generally shared the common consensus of crying foul at having to buy the N3DS for the Xenoblade remake that's coming out, saying that releasing such exclusive software for what's essentially just an upgrade of an existing console was screwing the customer majorly (especially with how hard they were pushing and are continuing to push the 3DSXL special editions).

I've got no dog in the fight, since I'm buying it anyway (my current 3DS is suffering wear and tear and if I'm gonna upgrade, I might as well get the one with the fancy stuff on it), but I do find it a tad surprising that there are some that are actually looking forward to the exclusive content.