New Nintendo 3DS XL Here in Time for Valentine's Day - Update 2

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
New Nintendo 3DS XL Here in Time for Valentine's Day - Update 2

I know I want a New 3DS as a Valentine's Day present.

Update 2: There has been some concern over the lack of an included charger with the New 3DS XL. Nintendo of America told IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/14/new-3dsxl-doesnt-include-charger-here-are-some-options] the company made this decision to save money for consumers who already own a 3DS or DSi as those chargers are compatible with the New 3DS XL. "Rather than raise cost of New Nintendo 3DS XL by charging consumers for a component they may already own, we are giving them the option to only buy if they need an AC adapter," Nintendo stated.

Update: Nintendo of America spoke with Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/nintendo-sorta-explains-why-the-smaller-new-3ds-is-mi-1679500252] on availability -- or lack of availability -- of the smaller version of the New 3DS. Nintendo of America stated, "Different territories make their own business decisions regarding individual products and timing. We think New Nintendo 3DS XL makes the most sense for our market. Nintendo makes different systems at different price points for a whole range of consumers, and New Nintendo 3DS XL simply expands those choices even further." Well, everything is bigger in the U.S.

Original story: The latest in Nintendo's 3DS line, the New Nintendo 3DS XL, will launch in North America on Feb. 13, Nintendo of America President Reggie announced during today's Nintendo Direct.

The new XL handheld costs $199.99 and is available for preorder starting today. A Majora's Mask-themed version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139458-Majoras-Mask-Launches-Feb-13] was announced as well for release on Feb. 13.

The New 3DS XL does not come with an AC adapter, but it is compatible with earlier adapters. The handheld comes in red or black, but there's also a Monster Hunter special edition including Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate. This information was first leaked from an advertisement. [http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970775]

The New 3DS, which is not so aptly named, has face tracking so that you can view the 3D from multiple angles, as opposed to the current 3DS systems that only allow you to take advantage of the 3D effect when viewed from the center. It also includes faster loading times and the new C-stick to replace the Circle Pad Pro. So far the only exclusive game announced for the handheld is Xenoblade Chronicles, a port of the Wii game, which releases in April.

A February system update will add amiibo support [http://escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/amiibo] for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

Nintendo did not mention the smaller version, the New Nintendo 3DS, which is out in Japan.

a hands-on look at it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137129-New-3DS-with-Xenoblade-Chronicles-Coming-2015]

Source: Nintendo Direct [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6zgkp1YBRw]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
roseofbattle said:
A Majora's Mask-themed version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139458-Majoras-Mask-Launches-Feb-13] was announced as well for release on Feb. 13.
Unfortunately for everyone who works, doesn't instantly check the internet, or those who actually watch the Nintendo Directs, this bundle has already been sold out and is being sold again by scalpers all over Ebay for ridiculous prices. Between this, Amiibos, and the Majora's Mask Limited Edition I can safely say this: fuck retailers and fuck Nintendo of America for continuing with retailer exclusives. Nintendo really needs to come out on a stance when it comes to scalpers. Hell, if Sony could do it, then Nintendo should too because this is just bullshit.

Apparently the preorders went live before the Nintendo Direct even finished... >.>

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
......The New 3DS is out?

Also, while I know the new Fire Emblem (and probably new Pokemon) will be on this new system, why should I buy this system if a new upgraded handheld (4DS?) that'll most likely be backwards compatible anyway is right around the corner?

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
No standard models with swappable faceplates? *sadface*

Oh well, I'm not too bummed about it. Now I'm just trying to decide which version to get. I know there will be no way in hell I could get the Majora's Mask one, and I'm don't really like its design anyway. The Monster Hunter edition looks sweet with its brushed metal-like appearance, but I'm not a big fan of Monster Hunter so I don't know if it would be worth it. I was hoping for a regular blue version but all we've got are red and black.

Dammit Nintendo, why don't you ever give us more color options for our consoles!?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So it's now got an official date. I just really, really hope they treat it like the DSi/GB Color, where they only release games exclusive to it that need the extra hardware. That's what it currently looks like they're doing, since the 3DS has the massive install base. Oh well, I guess should stop by a store with a demo unit and see if the 3D still looks like blurry layers of cardboard, at any angle.

I also guess the XL is what people what, since they finally released them at the same time in the first regions and then only the XL in North America. I sure prefer the bigger screen.

Neronium said:
Apparently the preorders went live before the Nintendo Direct even finished... >.>
It's getting to the point where you have to have a tab with the Ninty Direct open and a few other tabs with stores known for game preorders also open, if you want the neat stuff. Good luck if you're at a workplace with strict internet policies or only have access via mobile.

Twitter is going crazy Nintendo Scalpers again, and they ignore it while counting their DS cash. I'm glad they didn't have a limited edition Metroid New 3DS, because I chose the sleep in an extra hour instead of watching today's ND. Next time I'll do the tab thing, just in case.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Wait it doesn't come with a damn AC adapter? What the hell kind of shilling is that? Who releases a portable system with the CHARGING METHOD separate? Consider most folks will be trading in their old 3DS XL's to get the new one, which most places only accept with a damn AC adapter included, means you'll be stuck buying a $20 charging cord separately. Dammit all Nintendo, this does not sound like you.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Screw it. Canceled my Collector's Edition preorder and preordered a Monster Hunter edition. It's not like it's as popular as the Majora's Mask one, but my paranoia has really set in about these things.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Oh for the love of...

I love you nintendo really. but WHY are you SO determined to make your consoles have highly ambiguous names that sound very similar to existing stuff?

Are you trying to stop people realising it exists? or what?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
T-Shirt Turtle said:
No standard models with swappable faceplates? *sadface*
For some reason the UK/Europe are getting the standard edition with the swappable face plates. While America are only getting the XL without the plates for some reason.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
whaaaat

the faceplate attachment thing is like, my most wanted feature :/ why even release the wallpapers early if the matching plates are never coming here, i was set to not have to have a gazillion different 3ds models to collect game styles

and yeah, they got a monster hunter 4 n3ds, but they priced it higher cause gamestop is the only source for it, or possibly that the game's preinstalled (hard to tell if that's the case for the zelda one)

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
otakon17 said:
Wait it doesn't come with a damn AC adapter? What the hell kind of shilling is that? Who releases a portable system with the CHARGING METHOD separate? Consider most folks will be trading in their old 3DS XL's to get the new one, which most places only accept with a damn AC adapter included, means you'll be stuck buying a $20 charging cord separately. Dammit all Nintendo, this does not sound like you.
In Europe the 3DS XL shipped without a charger and in the UK near launch no bundles came without chasring extra for an adapter, which sucks cuz I had a DSI charger :mad:

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm glad they finally announced this. I guess I will trade my original in now and get the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate bundle. Especially since one of the best RPG's of the last decade is coming out for it.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Urgh, I wanted the New 3DS so bad, but I don't want the XL version.
This kinda sucks.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Ah so it is really just like what I thought then. With the interchangable plates in the smaller versions, it'd render Nintendo of America's constant "New Limited Edition _ 3DS XL!" scheme moot since you'd be able to have any type of 3DS you really wanted. Now with only having the New 3DS XL (still a dumb name) and not the smaller one, they can continue to release their nonstop amounts of special edition consoles ad naseum. :p

weirdee said:
and yeah, they got a monster hunter 4 n3ds, but they priced it higher cause gamestop is the only source for it, or possibly that the game's preinstalled (hard to tell if that's the case for the zelda one)
I'm not sure about the Monster Hunter one, but it's been stated that the NTSC version of the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL will not have Majora's Mask preinstalled. Only the PAL version will actually have the game preinstalled.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
weirdee said:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2015/01/14/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-demo-release-date-and-limited-edition-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-revealed

The game does come preinstalled on the system... at 30 USD more than the regular models, it'd be kind of a ripoff if it didn't.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Neronium said:
Ah so it is really just like what I thought then. With the interchangable plates in the smaller versions, it'd render Nintendo of America's constant "New Limited Edition _ 3DS XL!" scheme moot since you'd be able to have any type of 3DS you really wanted. Now with only having the New 3DS XL (still a dumb name) and not the smaller one, they can continue to release their nonstop amounts of special edition consoles ad naseum. :p

weirdee said:
I'm not sure about the Monster Hunter one, but it's been stated that the NTSC version of the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL will not have Majora's Mask preinstalled. Only the PAL version will actually have the game preinstalled.
Wow. It's like Nintendo dosen't want to sell this game.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Wow.
I've never heard of any portable device being sold without a charging cable.
Even if it's really standardized non-propietary stuff like micro usb ports, my samsung s3 still came with a charger for that.

Imagine you just bought the damn thing as your first 3ds handheld but -oops, can't use it because lolnochargeadapter.
Seems really dickish, especially since that's the only option in some regions.

KisaiTenshi

Mar 6, 2014
loa said:
Wow.
I've never heard of any portable device being sold without a charging cable.
Imagine you just bought the damn thing as your first 3ds handheld but -oops, can't use it because lolnochargeadapter.
Seems really dickish, especially since that's the only option in some regions.
Funny, for decades we've been complaining about having too many dang chargers for devices, and can never get replacements for broken ones. So finally someone realizes that we can solve that problem by making the charger separate, and the smart people will just replace their existing 3DS with the new 3DS and keep using the old charger.

Though in practice, working older units are just hand-me-down'd to the younger kids/cousins. Nintendo should have at least included a USB charger.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
otakon17 said:
I bought the Super Smash Bros 3DS (with game preinstalled) in November from the UK Nintendo store and that didn't come with a charger either, however they shipped it with a free charger and case. I got a USB charger for my old 3DS a while back (before I lost it) and I predominately use that since I almost always have my laptop with me somewhere.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I don't see why people are so bent out of shape over the charging cable thing. If they did pack it in then it would add just as much to the package's price as it would buying it separately. Plus if you do have to buy an AC adapter separately you could just get a third party adapter. They are often cheaper than the official adapter and can come with extra features like compatibility with other devices or the ability to use it with a car charger.