New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Now thats not fair. I'm all for chewing out Nintendo over their faults, but they have released some new story driven IP's in the last ten years. Eternal Darkness springs instantly to mind.
Eternal Darkness was from Silicon Knights.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
e_e why is the only thing that comes to mind when I see this is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpMP06YElc

AncientYoungSon

Jun 17, 2009
Jeronus said:
How about the motion gaming curve?
As much as I hate motion gaming all around, Kinect is far ahead of that curve.

But I still think it won't matter. I'm not convinced that motion gaming is here to stay. Much like the Guitar Hero fad, I wouldn't be surprised to see it end at some point in the near future.

How about being the only console maker actually interested in making games for kids?
Leapster.

And last I checked, 3rd parties still release plenty of E rated games on the PS360.

How about the handheld curve?
The iPhone is a better handheld gaming system than the DS or 3DS. In fact, the iPhone is the sole reason we've seen so many new DS iterations lately, including the 3DS: Nintendo is scrambling under Apple's pressure.

Nintendo is further ahead than you give them credit for. While I don't like the Wii, I consider myself a strong supporter/critic of the big N. Nintendo is the only reason Sony and Microsoft are trying to do something different. Right now, Microsoft and Sony are following a trend set by Nintendo several years ago. So the "Macarena" may be disappearing but we won't look back and ask ourselves "Why did we like that?" We will be saying "That's where it all started."
Nintendo delayed the inevitable, especially because they didn't use their monetary advantage to follow through after becoming #1 again. They missed the boat on online play and online content delivery and how badly they've shafted 3rd parties is going to come back to haunt them when no 3rd party is going to offer anything better than cheaply made garbage for Nintendo's next console (or they'll port 5 year old next gen games to it. The Wii will FINALLY get Bioshock, lawl).

You know who the REAL innovative forces in the gaming industry are right now?

Apple and Valve, because they both provide a dirt-simple platform that independent developers can create games for, something Nintendo claimed they were going to do with WiiWare then wound up fucking WiiWare developers over by never advertising the fact that the service exists and investing next to nothing into the service.

More innovation is happening on the iTunes store and Steam than Nintendo or any other dev has done with all of the motion-controlled crap out there, ever.

OutrageousEmu said:
AncientYoungSon said:
It's not the new story-driven IP curve, considering they haven't released a new character-based franchise in the past 10 years (unless you count Professor Layton).
Now thats not fair. I'm all for chewing out Nintendo over their faults, but they have released some new story driven IP's in the last ten years. Eternal Darkness springs instantly to mind.
Eternal Darkness was developed by Silicon Knights and only published by Nintendo.

Nintendo has as much to do with the creation of the game as they had with the creation of Professor Layton, hence why I said "if you count it".

The last NEW Nintendo IP was Pikmin, released in 2001. That was the LAST new internally developed franchise that wasn't a "Wii _____" game. Nintendo has not dared to create a new character-based game in roughly 10 years now.

How sad is that?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It's not a gimmick like the Wii he says? The Wii didn't have to be a gimmick, it's mainly the fault of the developers who barely did anything with the technology. The same can just as well happen with this new console.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
AncientYoungSon said:
Eternal Darkness was developed by Silicon Knights and only published by Nintendo.

Nintendo has as much to do with the creation of the game as they had with the creation of Professor Layton, hence why I said "if you count it".

The last NEW Nintendo IP was Pikmin, released in 2001. That was the LAST new internally developed franchise that wasn't a "Wii _____" game. Nintendo has not dared to create a new character-based game in roughly 10 years now.

How sad is that?
This is somewhat long okay.
That's like criticizing the comic book industry for using the same character for 60 year and not using anything new when in reality they had introduced many characters throughout the comic that have to do with that character.
Others have done it GoW,Gears of War,Halo,etc. Tons of people do it.
The Nintendo characters just have to much potential because they don't try to be realistic.

They can make their characters out of yarn or paper if they want to, now could the other companies get away with that?
Or maybe the fact that the most of the games you say they rehash are actually one entire story line have anything to do with it.

As for zelda they are trying to do damage control.
And most Mario games have no timeline even the paper mario games.
Though being able to adapt a character to nearly anything given means you may as well not make another one. Though if you can tell me the time that Sony and Microsoft produced a game that had 10 yr old boy fighting something that can destroy universes you call me over on character development.
Personally Nintendo needs to retcon Zelda and start over and pokemon as well the games they have can be much better if they follow this.

Though I don't know what you are talking about with characters when the things they mostly release at Sony and Microsoft are super soldiers and the fact that Sony and Mirosoft just buy company's and have them make the games for them

It's not that Nintendo needs new characters it's that they are not using them to their full potential as they should,however they are bring out characters that they rarely used now.
Hopefully they are going to actually bring out the full selection of games to the US and
other places. For every game that makes it over here there are 5 that don't make it over here :/ Though I mainly blame folks that are so jaded.

Oh about a new IP Nintendogs,Tingle(they did...) and several others come to mind.
Don't say the most recent was Pikmin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
googleback said:
interesting, I got a wii last year for about £50 (preowned) so it makes sense. I wonder if it'll just be the wii HD? probably not if history is anything to go by?
They didnt push HD on the Wii because it was still early days of HD and not many people had a HD TV. Now there a lot more affordable so I'd say it will be HD.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
thatstheguy said:
More powerful than the 360 and PS3?

Could we expect, say, CryEngine 2/3 on the platform? That's something I'd be interested in.
awww that's just gonna get my hopes up now
somonels said:
The Wee Too?

I guess they need to beef up their gear now that both competitors provide the same capabilities and are much more capable. Or, perhaps, they have a new gimmick planned.
I kinda like what a person on facebook said in calling it a wiiquel

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
"Moar powerful than the PS3 or the Xbox 360"
ROFLLMAO

I gave up on Nintendo when they abandoned the 3rd party...

mighty_wambat

Jan 26, 2011
Futurenerd said:
mighty_wambat said:
yes, this is great news. i skipped the wii, if the wii2 has full backwards compatibility to the game cube then i am in at launch. for sure. this is awesome.
You do know the Wii 1 was backwards compatible with the gamecube right? If so what are you talking about. If not, I'm going to look at you with the "are you a wizard" face.

the wii has like 20 good games, the game cube had dozens if not more then a hundred.

20 good games is not worth getting a console, if the wii 2 has decent hardware. as in ps3 + 5 years of development then real developers will make games for it. not bullshit dumbed down versions of cod, like, real cod and real shooters, real rpg. there are a few really cool games on wii i am upset i have missed out on, namely the marios and zelda, if the wii2 can play game cube games and all the wii games i skipped the first time around then i am so in.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
OOkay, smarty pants, who would you say is credible?
In this case, someone who can actually cite Nintendo themselves. These guys are citing unconfirmed rumours. SOOOOOOOOOOO CREDIBLE!

MASTACHIEFPWN said:
"Moar powerful than the PS3 or the Xbox 360"
ROFLLMAO

I gave up on Nintendo when they abandoned the 3rd party...
This is actually funny. The biggest complaint about the wii is a lack OF quality control for third party games.

Sometimes I wonder about the people on this site...

mighty_wambat said:
20 good games is not worth getting a console, if the wii 2 has decent hardware. as in ps3 + 5 years of development then real developers will make games for it. not bullshit dumbed down versions of cod, like, real cod and real shooters, real rpg. there are a few really cool games on wii i am upset i have missed out on, namely the marios and zelda, if the wii2 can play game cube games and all the wii games i skipped the first time around then i am so in.
The Wii has Monster Hunter 3. That alone is worth buying a system for.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
GrimHeaper said:
AncientYoungSon said:

How sad is that?
This is somewhat long okay.
That's like criticizing the comic book industry for using the same character for 60 year and not using anything new when in reality they had introduced many characters throughout the comic that have to do with that character.
Others have done it GoW,Gears of War,Halo,etc. Tons of people do it.
The Nintendo characters just have to much potential because they don't try to be realistic.

They can make their characters out of yarn or paper if they want to, now could the other companies get away with that?
Or maybe the fact that the most of the games you say they rehash are actually one entire story line have anything to do with it.

As for zelda they are trying to do damage control.
And most Mario games have no timeline even the paper mario games.
Though being able to adapt a character to nearly anything given means you may as well not make another one. Though if you can tell me the time that Sony and Microsoft produced a game that had 10 yr old boy fighting something that can destroy universes you call me over on character development.
Personally Nintendo needs to retcon Zelda and start over and pokemon as well the games they have can be much better if they follow this.

Though I don't know what you are talking about with characters when the things they mostly release at Sony and Microsoft are super soldiers and the fact that Sony and Mirosoft just buy company's and have them make the games for them

It's not that Nintendo needs new characters it's that they are not using them to their full potential as they should,however they are bring out characters that they rarely used now.
Hopefully they are going to actually bring out the full selection of games to the US and
other places. For every game that makes it over here there are 5 that don't make it over here :/ Though I mainly blame folks that are so jaded.

Oh about a new IP Nintendogs,Tingle(they did...) and several others come to mind.
Don't say the most recent was Pikmin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games
I love how you accused Gears of War of being a holdover series from a previous generation. Seriously, so little came to your mind, you needed to use a series made this gen.
The xbox came out in 2001 it's easy coming up with IP's when you are a new console company. Even sony is new compared to Nintendo the company that has to many IP's compared to them put together.
You didn't Listen Mario is so adaptive he can fill ANY genre making new IP's that are original hard to make now.
Nintendo has been around since 1889 lets see you come up with new IP's when you are that old.
They have done everything already that is the problem and for you to expect some new IP that they haven't done is silly.