New Nvidia Chip Features 3 Billion Transistors

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
3 billion? We have reached ridiculous levels. Also... you must construct additional transistors!

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
As awesome as this is I am very afraid of the price and also the release date because if the price is right I might have to suppress myself from buying it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Ranooth said:
MOAR TRANSISTORS!!!
We need EVAR MOAR!!!

Anywho, this graphics card does sound sweet - might get in whenever I upgrade or replace my box, heh.

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
I have £400 to play with as Xmas spending money. Will this be enough for this new toy or should I save a bit more?

Dauntlessidiot

Crazed Obsessive Musician
Oct 26, 2008
I would have expected at least 5 billion the way technology is going lateley. I mean my laptop is shit, and it has at least 4bn transistors in it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
ZakCanard said:
I have £400 to play with as Xmas spending money. Will this be enough for this new toy or should I save a bit more?
I wouldn't recommend buying this yet, unless you already need to upgrade your card, or you want to prepare for the Blu-ray 3D disc/games that will probably start coming in in a year or 2. Probably. But be aware, at the moment, there's no certainly Blu-Ray 3D will be wide spread before download on demand services.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Will it support DX11? I remember Nvidia sayig they won't support it a while back. If it doesn't, I'll go ATI.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
I don't get it either... Maybe people like blurriness? I prefer sharpness and higher frame rates; I must be crazy.
The blurriness is mostly due to non-fullscreen postprocessing (both DirectX 9 and 10 work at a quarter resolution for that sort of thing), DirectX 11 work with full resolution postprocessing which means there isn't any of the blurriness you'd normally see, check out screenshots directX 11 enabled Dirt 2 compared to the directX 9 version.

One thing I did notice though, nowhere does it say that it'll support DirectX 11. Everyone assumes it will, but I'm not seeing any direct evidence of it yet.

nVidia parts are also ridiculously expensive on release, so my guess is that ATI will be the best bang for your buck the whole generation.

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
3 billion is great and all, but might I be allowed to ask exactly how much this increases performance over their older cards? Computer parts have ridiculous amounts of transistors in them now; 3 billion is just another number to me.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
JusticarPhaeton said:
3 billion is great and all, but might I be allowed to ask exactly how much this increases performance over their older cards? Computer parts have ridiculous amounts of transistors in them now; 3 billion is just another number to me.
The ATI HD5870 has 2.1 billion transistors, a GTX285 has 1.4 billion. So compared to the previous generation model they more than doubled it, and it's about 40% more than ATI's current top end single chip offering.
As for how much faster it'll be... that depends on how well it uses all those transistors and what they're all getting used for. We won't know much about that until there are actual physical specimens in the wild for testing.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
LoopyDood said:
Whew, can't wait to see the performance of these things compared to ATI's 5800 series, or ATI's response. Price drops all around!
I think that ati already responded with the 5970 and hopefully the 5980/5990 soon. All nvidia has been doing is mashing more and more 8800's together on their "new" cards. And really? 32x antialiassing? The difference between none and 2x is massive and that's what making console games so ugly, the difference between 2x and 4x is also large, you need to be a serious gamer to see the difference between 4x and 8x and going from 8x and 16x is hardly noticeable at all so this change is only going to be appreciated by people who like useless numbers and those who look at the RGB values of each individual pixel.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
the ati 5970 has 4.3 billion transistors. However it's a dual gpu card. Having 3 billion in one card should be interesting for when nvidia decide to make a dual gpu card of this chip, if they can overcome their massive power consumtion.