New Persona 5 Trailer and information

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
StormShaun said:
Rozalia1 said:
Naoto uses a gun... unless you mean just the main.
I mean the main character.
I don't remember a Persona game (that I've played at least) that allowed the protagonist to use a gun.
And boy, he sure used that gun in the trailer.
guns were apart of a different element in other smt games like smt iv. basically instead of being weak to fire or whatever a demon might be weak to pierce damage which is what a gun does. I think thats what we are getting here.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Complete aesthetic change?

Hype OST that sounds like it's ripped from Lupin?

STEALTH Dungeon Crawling?

Demons are back?

BECOME A PERSONA?!

.... phew... I'm sold. Kudos Atlus, you made a worried fan incredibly happy!!!

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Sploosh. Sploosh everywhere.

I love the style. I love that the characters change appearance at night. I love that they changed the old dungeon crawling aesthetic (my only complaint about the old one) for something more lively and dynamic, with more mechanics. I love that the protagonist may be somewhat amoral. I love everything. It's funny, I thought the protagonist seemed like a mild mannered bookworm. Apparently he's got more swag then the other two combined. I'm happy that they're going for something entirely different. That was always the strength of the series, that it was willing to take risks.

I'm not sure about the demon thing, though. It doesn't really fit the Jungian aesthetic of the other games. I have faith in the team, though. It's well earned.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
StormShaun said:
I mean the main character.
I don't remember a Persona game (that I've played at least) that allowed the protagonist to use a gun.
And boy, he sure used that gun in the trailer.
In persona 1 all main characters fought with a different type of gun (handgun for the MC, shotgun for the punk, etc) kind of like DDS, they used the gun in addition to the melee weapon, and some enemies were exclusively weak to them. good times, those were.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I wonder who that guy with the thick tail was. He/She was the sillouette jumping off the building in the beginning.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
I am very interested in this series but did not bother to buy them yet. This may be my first time then. The trailer looked very cool tho.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
StormShaun said:
Well ... pardon me.

*Faints*

In all seriousness, I like what I see.
And I don't blame everything for hyping the damn thing even more.
I have been looking over the video for more details ... I'll probably miss many, so hopefully some people can fill in those blanks. :p

- MC is a master thief with damn good style.
- Transforming cat mascort characters (shadow?)
- Tsundere (princess-like?) character.
- Bro character is punk. Seems to be like Kanji.

- All characters become criminals somehow.
- Cafe/main base (like Junes).
- Dungeons will be like heists (the map in the cafe).
- We will play much more of each day. It looks like it won't simply skip to school each morning.
- Life seems more lively. With more people, and such events as getting chalk thrown at you.

- More action out of battle gameplay. Involving stealth elements and platforming.
- MC uses guns. (finally we can use guns for battle).
- Personas come from masks (?)
- MC doesn't need mask.

EDIT:
- Twin Velvet Room assistants.
- Igor is even more creepy.
- It's in a jail cell/interrogation room.
Not sure where you got "tsundere" from the blond girl. She was smiling most of the time, not grouchy and mad. If anything she's like Ginko from p2 or some other variation of the "charisma-to-woo-style" popular girl. Never mind her being like a princess. She has pigtails, not drill-hair.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Dansen said:
The twins don't have eye patches, if you pause you can see they have both eyes its just dramatic lighting.
Well thanks to pausing that bit I noticed one of them has her hair in a braid while the other is sporting a bun. I wonder what their boss fight will be like O.O

-the cat uses a rolling pin as a weapon, I wonder if the MC will be able to do that?
Pause at 1:58. They are clearly wearing eye-patches on their models.
Also the cat uses a giant slingshot. Pause at 2:06 where they start the All-Out attack.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
deserteagleeye said:
Dansen said:
The twins don't have eye patches, if you pause you can see they have both eyes its just dramatic lighting.
Well thanks to pausing that bit I noticed one of them has her hair in a braid while the other is sporting a bun. I wonder what their boss fight will be like O.O

-the cat uses a rolling pin as a weapon, I wonder if the MC will be able to do that?
Pause at 1:58. They are clearly wearing eye-patches on their models.
Also the cat uses a giant slingshot. Pause at 2:06 where they start the All-Out attack.
My apologies, didn't see that. Its just that when you first see them you can see some blue outlines that look like eyes on what I guess are their eyepatches.

Also about the slingshot, yes the cat uses it initially but then it switches it out for a cutlass in the following scene. Perhaps a new gameplay mechanic at work?

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I don't believe I could possibly explain the amount of JOY that I've experienced after watching that trailer... I mean, HOLY FUCKING SHIT DOES IT LOOK GOOD!
So, instead of expressing myself, let me share a little theory.
Ok, we can assume that our characters are some sort of criminals, most probably thieves. And, as I assume, they all are Persona users. What is also almost agreed upon is that game takes place in 2016 in Tokyo. So, what if the people chasing our heroes are in fact SHADOW OPERATIVES?! I mean, that would make so much sense. There's no way a bunch of Persona users could perform number of crimes in major Japanese city without Kirijo noticing! That would create a really nice conflict for old players, forcing them to run from or fight against their allies from previous games.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
Stray observations:
1. Very slick trailer. But Atlus really knows how to rock the trailer sequence, so I'm not surprised.

2. It seems to have a focus on "masks." This is awesome considering, ya know, the word "persona" originally meant "mask."

3. This trend of incorporating non-human characters is getting a bit stale, I think. Maybe they'll mix it up. But for a game which revolves around people and human relationships, it's kind of an odd choice. I suppose the marketability of a mascot is just too much to pass up.

4. I'm kind of bummed it's set in a high school again. I get it, high school kids are finding their true identity. But I've always wanted them to take another crack at adult-life again ala Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.

5. I note that this is from some creative branch under Atlus. Does this mean they are ramping up their production? I honestly haven't been able to keep up with the spin-offs galore, but so long as they keep up the wonderful artistic quality, they can do whatever they want.

6. They seem to have spiced-up the overworld/dungeon gameplay. That's probably a good thing if it works well. It's been pretty much static since Shin Megami Tensei and it never was really that fun. More of just filler.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
It was a nice trailer. The 10 seconds of gameplay footage looked great. I look forward to playing it in Australia in 5 years time. Or not at all assuming it's on next gen consoles.

Aww, I'm so negative. I can't help it, all this hype turns me into Yahtzee Croshaw. I actually am looking forward to this, Persona 4 is one of my favourite games. But I just didn't find the trailer all that amazing. My initial response was "Yeah, it's a Persona game all right". Which isn't a bad thing, it's just not that exciting.

Ikasury said:
and i think the main MC is like what they were originally planning with Naoto, i find it funny he's a cat burglar... and looks an aweful lot like Pharos in that prison outfit~ ;3
That's who he looks like! I saw the dude in the prison outfit and was thinking "I swear this guy's in another Persona game".

Ikasury said:
though to be honest the moment i saw those masks i was thinking 'Joker is that you?' and at the end the MC looks an aweful lot like Philomon... so yea, i'm getting a lot more P1/P2:IS/EP vibes from this then strictly P3/P4 'happy fun time' :D
I'm getting a P2 vibe too. Which is great since P2 had my favourite story and characters out of all the Persona games.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
SmallHatLogan said:
It was a nice trailer. The 10 seconds of gameplay footage looked great. I look forward to playing it in Australia in 5 years time. Or not at all assuming it's on next gen consoles.

Aww, I'm so negative. I can't help it, all this hype turns me into Yahtzee Croshaw. I actually am looking forward to this, Persona 4 is one of my favourite games. But I just didn't find the trailer all that amazing. My initial response was "Yeah, it's a Persona game all right". Which isn't a bad thing, it's just not that exciting.

Ikasury said:
and i think the main MC is like what they were originally planning with Naoto, i find it funny he's a cat burglar... and looks an aweful lot like Pharos in that prison outfit~ ;3
That's who he looks like! I saw the dude in the prison outfit and was thinking "I swear this guy's in another Persona game".

Ikasury said:
though to be honest the moment i saw those masks i was thinking 'Joker is that you?' and at the end the MC looks an aweful lot like Philomon... so yea, i'm getting a lot more P1/P2:IS/EP vibes from this then strictly P3/P4 'happy fun time' :D
I'm getting a P2 vibe too. Which is great since P2 had my favourite story and characters out of all the Persona games.
PS3 is region free so you can just import the game. Or even buy it off of USA psn if they put it up.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Looks better than I had hoped, can't wait to play this in 2030 if I'm hopeful. I'm glad they aren't just making another happy-go-lucky romp like Persona 4, th game looks like the perfect mix between 3 and 4 (hopefully without the major flaws of each).

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Man, I was honestly worried for a while that Persona 5 wouldn't live up to the hype that Persona's 3 and 4 had set, being as good as they were. And I am very relieved to see that I was most likely mistaken. This looks amazing.

Now let's hope the game can live up to the hype that these trailers set.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
While this trailer looks awesome, I'm still wondering about how this trailer and the first reveal that said, "You are slave. Want emancipation?" tie into each other.

Every time I watch the new trailer, I get more confused about how that initial phrase and what the characters are actually doing in those game shots. I mean, I wonder if the whole thing's about subliminal messaging regarding society, or if there's more of a "lesson of the story" kinda thing.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing this game when it eventually hits the stores.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
While this trailer looks awesome, I'm still wondering about how this trailer and the first reveal that said, "You are slave. Want emancipation?" tie into each other.

Every time I watch the new trailer, I get more confused about how that initial phrase and what the characters are actually doing in those game shots. I mean, I wonder if the whole thing's about subliminal messaging regarding society, or if there's more of a "lesson of the story" kinda thing.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing this game when it eventually hits the stores.
Basically, slavery = the law and emancipation = being a cool thief with a cool mask and ice-skating on bridges.

Sounds legit!

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Dreiko said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

Basically, slavery = the law and emancipation = being a cool thief with a cool mask and ice-skating on bridges.

Sounds legit!
Granted, this is your perspective on the matter, but I have to ask: is that all? Surely, ATLUS wouldn't produce a game with so little of a statement, right? I would think that there is more to this than what it seems. I don't believe that the "law" is the only thing to be a slave to, if it actually is something to be a slave to. I mean...that's what criminals and outlaws are, right? People who disregard the law, right? I just wonder what they are trying to achieve freedom from. Is it society's collective views? The will of society? It could be any of these things and maybe more; but, in the end, I believe ATLUS are going to be giving us a bit more meaning behind that first reveal in the game than simply the "rulebreaker" schtick. I'm just completely lost in speculation without being able to piece the dots together from what we've seen.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
The producer spoke of the team of chars being people who "find their own justice". My quote above is a very very brief summary of that theme. Obviously they will expand upon this to humongous, 120-hour lengths in this game and give us a bazillion twists to the basic notion I expressed above.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

The whole "You are slave. Want emancipation?" thing had me hoping for some Orwellian themes. Not sure how likely that is though.