New Poll Reports Xbox 360 Failure at 42 Percent

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
My first 360 was an elite, mostly because I'd heard it didn't have the red ring problem. It actually did give me a scare once when 3 of the little segments went red, but apparently the power stuff just had a loose connection *whew*. Other than that I've never had a problem with the 360. These things aren't the tanks that the original xboxes were so I'm sure most of these "failures" are probably a result of mistreatment.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
brewbeard said:
5% would be unacceptable. 42% is stupid high. Where was their quality control team? What the hell happened?
just one of microsofts many userfriendly and high-quality products : D
Go buy another Xbox today, just to be sure ! the more the better !

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Every time I've seen someones XBox fail, its been their fault. You can not shove an XBox into a small cupboard and close the door on it while its playing. Stop. It.

Is their a problem with the XBoxs? Probably. But seeing as how mine is 4 years old and runs like a champ, and an estimated 5% failure of Xboxs from the people around me, I call crap on these statistics.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
I got my 360 a few months after launch and it's still going strong... just putting that out there.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
While that's still pretty high, im glad to see its dropping.

My Wii has fallen off its place on my TV Stand several times and it still works like a charm.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats still a fairly large percentage...huge, near half way.

They still have alot of work to do!

silentsentinel

Mar 16, 2008
Mine died after that big old update. NXE, I think it was called?

Up until then it had been working without a hitch.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
You know, it's odd, i've had a 360 for a couple years now, and only NOW has it re ringed, However there's people out there who's console will Red Ring within month's, and then there's people who claim "MY 360 RED RINGED BECAUSE IT'S A PEICE OF SHIT AND I HAD TO BUY 6, EVEN THOUGH I HATE IT!"

Although, the latter is useually some mindless douchbag, but really, it seems there' something wrong with these fucking consoles.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
So this is for overheating? The longest time my Xbox 360 was on for was when I was downloading a Game Demo that was huge.

If not, I got mine last year. This thing is never going to die.

"Come one Xbox 360! You wanna live forever?"

That should be an achievement for the Xbox 360!

Your Xbox 360 has lived for 3 years or more

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
Yeah it is pretty shocking. But at least they give them a 3 year red ring warranty.

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
I've only had to get mine fixed once. And even then, it lasted a year. And even then, I had it on for a median average of six hours a day. I find this study to be biased and/or falsely reported by the surveyed.

Rhino of Steel

Sep 29, 2008
I must have gotten extremely lucky with my 360 because I've had it since April or May 2006 and it hasn't died on me. It is getting some disc read errors at random times though. I may end up having to replace it yet.

soldier9501

Jan 15, 2009
I'm on my third console, the previous 2 didn't last more than 8 months. Both times, Microsoft sent back a replacement console, rather than repairing it. Hope this one lasts longer.

As much as I enjoy gaming, I would never consider my use of these consoles to be "excessive." I spend most of my gaming time on my PC anyways. And I always took care of them when transporting between houses.

42% is absolutely unacceptable. When Microsoft decides they won't replace the console for free anymore, I'm not spending the money on a new one. I've already stopped paying for Gold membership.

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
I'd believe those statistics. I'm on my sixth (yes, SIXTH) 360, all of the previous ones having the same problem of "simply doesn't feel like reading discs anymore". No one can say I didn't give this thing a goddamn fair chance. If this one craps out, I'm done with console gaming. I'm trading in all of my games and everything for PC titles instead, and then spending my money on upgrades for my laptop. I may be more than a little daft for holding out hope over six iterations of the same console, but it's still completely ridiculous how fragile these things are.

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
Everyone's missing the real "news" of this article.
Austin MacKenzie said:
While the numbers are lower, the No Fuss Reviews poll may have some flawed data. ...

The survey also failed to take into account the amount of time the consoles were used or how long they were played, data that was suspected to have inflated the Xbox 360's numbers in the Game Informer poll. Finally, the survey did not take into account the manufacture dates of the systems, another factor which likely plays a huge part in the Xbox 360 failure. The initial Xbox 360s used chips manufactured by Falcon, which were notoriously unreliable. In 2008, Microsoft switched to chip developer Jasper, and projections indicate that this change has made the constant failure that plagued the earlier consoles a thing of the past. That fact alone could very well have contributed to the decline in figures, as more new consoles are placed on the market, the likelihood of failure decreases.
Basically, this article is pointing out the existence of a flawed poll. When the article itself says the poll is bad, believe it. I'm glad they went into detail as to why it was flawed. I'd love to see a study that finds out the failure rate of the different chip developers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying, the 360's rock solid now. (Heck, mine's been in 3 times.) I'm saying we can't go by these numbers. All we really know for certain is exactly what we knew before: The 360's died a lot in the past, but the newer ones are more stable.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Wow. How can Microsoft be happy with themselves when their console has a 42% failure rate? That's far, far too high for a seventh generation console. I like how almost all of the guys in my dorm who own a 360 have experienced thr red ring of death at one point or another,
I am not kidding. I really like the 360, but the fact that it fails so much seems to be a testament to the fact that Microsoft didn't really did all that it could to make the hardware run as efficently as it should.