New Poll Reports Xbox 360 Failure at 42 Percent

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
Mine's never fucked up, knock on wood. And it was used, too. Bought it from a pawn shop. Lucky me I guess.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Un-fucking-acceptable. How did consoles get this popular when they break so easily?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Austin MacKenzie said:
The initial Xbox 360s used chips manufactured by Falcon, which were notoriously unreliable. In 2008, Microsoft switched to chip developer Jasper, and projections indicate that this change has made the constant failure that plagued the earlier consoles a thing of the past.
How do you tell which chip your console has?

I just got mine replaced by Microsoft

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
Yeah my 360 has never died on me, but then again I don't strain it too much. Like anything else, gaming should be taken in moderation.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
sinclose said:
OT:What's annoying is that despite this Xbox fanboys rant on PS3 owners and the 'yellow ring of death' when it's rate is extremely low
It's "Yellow Light of Death". Never had it happen thankfully. I think it has something to do with the glue they used on the CPU on the older models. I don't know about the PS3 Slims though. Hopefully we'll get more reliable consoles all round next generation.

Also, what's the Wii equivalent? If there is one.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Also, did they take into account the ages of the consoles in question? The 360 came out, what, four years ago? From what I hear, it's not at all unusual for any piece of hardware to have hardware problems by that time. Name brand electronics are built by the lowest bidder, after all. And all it takes is one part going bad. My hard drive died last October, and it wasn't even two years old. If it were the hard drive in a 360, that would be enough to red-ring it.

Given that, I'm more impressed by the low figures for the Wii and PS3, although technically they also aren't as old.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
It dropped to 42 percent and that good news? No, that's just slightly less crappy news. If your console has a 42% failure rate, it still means you haven't switched your manufacturing materials t something other than cardboard, matchsticks and cheap plastic.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Man, this is incredibad.
A normal company would not stand for more then 10-15% failures in a timespan of 2 or 3 years. (and that's still high) The factories they hired to produce/repair Xbox components must really be the cheapest they found.
If M$ would have just spent an extra 50 cents per console they probably ended up at different factories with much lesser failure rates as a result. Now all those extra repairs is making huge dents in the profit margins!
But i also can understand that 50 cents per console is a shitload of money if you have to produce... what? 50 million or so?
Still M$ should not have been so greedy. Whoever was responsible for dealing with the factories is probably fired allready or at least should be!
As a hardware enthousiast it is nice to know that all those fanboys are playing those games on overpriced and inferior hardware.

Xela Reko

Mar 31, 2010
ugh... I am cursed! every 360 I so much as touch almost immeadiately RRoD's. My friend dropped his down a flight of stairs and it still worked, but I jokingly touched it and within 20 minutes, it had passed on to a better place.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
sadx12 said:
Add me to that list my Xbox 360 just failed.
same here i gotta send mine in now. and warranty expired so im thinking getting an elite al together and im on my 3rd after i replace this one...

Mr. Mike said:
sinclose said:
OT:What's annoying is that despite this Xbox fanboys rant on PS3 owners and the 'yellow ring of death' when it's rate is extremely low
It's "Yellow Light of Death". Never had it happen thankfully. I think it has something to do with the glue they used on the CPU on the older models. I don't know about the PS3 Slims though. Hopefully we'll get more reliable consoles all round next generation.

Also, what's the Wii equivalent? If there is one.
im on my second slim... and i got my slim in november. also 42% is riciculously high.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
Austin MacKenzie said:
While a mere 1 percent of respondents reported the Wii failing.
I'm a bit skeptical about the accuracy of that number. I don't think many gamers would openly admit to having troubles with their Wii. That's a little bit too personal, don't you think?

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
42%.... Sounds about right for a microsoft product. Microsoft! The standard of excellence should never get in the way of profit.