New Power Rangers image

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
I actually kinda like this promo image. Its a pretty well framed colorful visual interesting picture. Hows the movie gunna be? No fucking clue, I can't even make a safe bet. The design looks pretty colorful, like each suit is made of a space gem, and that gives me hope that the movie will be a cool colorful fun action fest.

I might be more hyped right now than I ever have been for power rangers. That said, this movie is likely gunna be total shit. The power rangers are one hell of a thing to make a movie out of, like, how do you even do it? The power rangers are silly as fuck, and the Voltron short film only got away with being serious until the idea clicks in at the end that 5 robot lions are connecting together to make a SUPER ROBOT MAN!

This image gives me hope they might make a fun movie, but realistically, nobody actually makes good movies out of cheap old properties, they go for money then go home.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
erttheking said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
erttheking said:
Is it weird that the thing I'm most bugged about is the fact that they're open faced helmets. Doesn't that kind of go against power rangers design? The only time I remember those helmets opening was when they were damaged.
The helmets do close, earlier promo pics show it. So it's probably for down time and breaks in the action.

Gotta show them actors' faces or you aren't getting your money's worth.

I never got into Power Rangers (it was the one thing I wasn't allowed to watch growing up), so I can't muster up any nerd rage. And I'll give props to the movie for following Iron Man's example and having semi-fullface helmets.

Apart from that, the real problem with these costumes is that they look expensive. Expensive and Power Rangers do not go together.
My problem is more along the lines that they open in the first place. They never did that in the show. It just feels like Venom in Spider-Man 3.

Yeah...no one can just do a Deadpool

It is a step up over the norm I suppose.

Expensive and power rangers. *Snort* No. No they do not. That's kind of why I think this is doomed to fail. Power Rangers is silly and cheesy, but it's what makes it Power Rangers. This feels like it's trying to be like that dark fan film without any of the irony.
erttheking said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
erttheking said:
Is it weird that the thing I'm most bugged about is the fact that they're open faced helmets. Doesn't that kind of go against power rangers design? The only time I remember those helmets opening was when they were damaged.
The helmets do close, earlier promo pics show it. So it's probably for down time and breaks in the action.

Gotta show them actors' faces or you aren't getting your money's worth.

I never got into Power Rangers (it was the one thing I wasn't allowed to watch growing up), so I can't muster up any nerd rage. And I'll give props to the movie for following Iron Man's example and having semi-fullface helmets.

Apart from that, the real problem with these costumes is that they look expensive. Expensive and Power Rangers do not go together.
My problem is more along the lines that they open in the first place. They never did that in the show. It just feels like Venom in Spider-Man 3.

Yeah...no one can just do a Deadpool

It is a step up over the norm I suppose.

Expensive and power rangers. *Snort* No. No they do not. That's kind of why I think this is doomed to fail. Power Rangers is silly and cheesy, but it's what makes it Power Rangers. This feels like it's trying to be like that dark fan film without any of the irony.
The Helmets actually did open in the series, The helmets opening have been a constant for 20 years.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
erttheking said:
Winnosh said:
Isn't that just the visor though?

Though...still...*Goes and sits in the corner of shame*
Not just the visor parts

But yeah everything I'm seeing and the design of the suits leads me to believe that most of the combat will be CG similar to Ironman with the helmets opening up for stuff where they stand around and converse.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Captain Marvelous said:
Dear god, I hate that armor. Just... too much for the cheese that is Power Rangers. I'm afraid the movie is going to take itself way too seriously.
Never seen Power Rangers In Space then, I take it?

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
ArcaneGamer said:
Captain Marvelous said:
Dear god, I hate that armor. Just... too much for the cheese that is Power Rangers. I'm afraid the movie is going to take itself way too seriously.
Or Power Rangers RPM That one dealt with the Earth being a Post Apocalyptic wasteland and 90 percent of the human population being killed off in a machine war. The show followed the remaining 10 percent hiding out in a city constantly under seige

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
erttheking said:
Winnosh said:
Isn't that just the visor though?

Though...still...*Goes and sits in the corner of shame*
But wait, there's more!

Roughly half of Deadpool was Wade Wilson pre-op, so we still got to see Ryan Reynold's face.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Winnosh said:
ArcaneGamer said:
Captain Marvelous said:
Or Power Rangers RPM That one dealt with the Earth being a Post Apocalyptic wasteland and 90 percent of the human population being killed off in a machine war. The show followed the remaining 10 percent hiding out in a city constantly under seige
I think 10 percent is being generous.

But even with its most serious there was a fair bit of silly moments. Need I remind you THAT IS NOT SPANDEX!

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
erttheking said:
Winnosh said:
ArcaneGamer said:
Captain Marvelous said:
I think 10 percent is being generous.

But even with its most serious there was a fair bit of silly moments. Need I remind you THAT IS NOT SPANDEX!
and also Did anyone ever notice when we morph there are these weird explosions behind us?

Viking

May 11, 2014
Their amour design makes me worried that this is going to be another grimdark-with-no-actual-depth superhero film.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
erttheking said:
My first thought as well. I know movies think we're paying to see actors handsome facial figures but we're not, we're paying to see the Power Rangers.

I'm still going to keep an eye on it, but so far it's looking like every other recent remake of something from my childhood, like the guys in charge don't know anything about what made the original work.