New Silent Hill Worst One Yet?

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Mr Somewhere said:
No, please don't watch that let's play, it's awful. Those guys didn't even give the game a chance, you can tell they went into it wanting to hate it. They took the most minimal thing and nit-picked it to hell. That let's play was infuriating to say the least.
Yeah, thats the attitude i got from them aswell. A lot of the things they picked up on i had no problems with. But like news, saying good things about stuff is not entertaining and does not interest people -.-

Downpour, even with its not-quiet-there ideas was good. There is hope yet people!

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
ChaosStep said:
I started up my second playthrough of Downpour to finish the last achievements. I had to restart it 4 times because I kept spawning in the elevator wall right at the beginning.

I'm not sure which part of Downpour you're referring to as great, but I don't see it.
All of Downpour was great... It was easily the most visually inventive, the combat felt like SH combat and to top it off it was really creepy and weird...

I don't understand why you'd dislike it so...

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
I'm a pretty huge Silent Hill fan and I think it looks alright to me. Don't see what the big deal is.

I hate the "Only Japanese can do good horror" stance because by that logic you can give the IP to the people behind Harvest Moon and they'd shit out the most scariest game imaginable.

Silent Hill is a Western IP now. Either get used to it or shut up and move on.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Austin Howe said:
Silent Hill is going to continue to be shitty until someone starts developing it without a modern Western idea of horror. Now I realize much of Silent Hill is inspired by select works of modern western horror, but the Japanese are WAY better at the psychological horror thing, whereas your average American horror fans just likes the blood and guts of the equation. The Japanese like that too, but they give it substance. Now I'm not saying the series has to be made by an eastern or Japanese developer, but it has to be made with that aesthetic in mind.

This . . . this goes against everything Silent Hill ever stood for.
Oh man those stupid Americans are to blame for everything....it's not like the last two terrible games were made by developers from the UK and the Czech Republic, oh wait.
And I'm sure the publisher is some evil company like EA...oh it's Konami.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
wow... okay at first i was thinking "don't be so harsh" than seeing the video i was like D=
and than thinking about it even more i was like )=
well... hopefully this is just a spin-off kinda game and it won't effect the future SH titles. SH is still one of my favorite games. However i won't be getting this one at all.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
you all are just bitchin cause it is different then what you are used to. Im looking forward to it. as is my friend who is a hardcore silent hill fan.

Edit: i understand why you are angry about it but... it doesnt seem like that bad of a concept.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
The funny thing is that everyone is completely missing the real problem this game has, customization. Silent Hill has always been about groups of characters who were made specifically to enhance the narrative. If you can make your own character you're immediately alienating the story by disjointing it's relevance to the character you create. It's no longer about them dealing with important aspects of their lives head on but rather just going through the motions of trying to survive a very impersonal experience. Although I have to admit that this is not the worst Silent Hill game to have come out, Shattered Memories is. It takes everything that makes Silent Hill what it is and turns it on its head, then beats it mercilessly.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
As a fan of the series, I think it's sad they feel the need to attach the Silent Hill name to it just to try and live off the hype of the old games.

I mean, I liked some of the newer ones (surprisingly enjoyed Shattered Memories), but they need to realize that newer titles will probably stand up more on their own merits if they weren't being connected to the older games. Try something new, along with a new title.

Being generous here, but Book of Memories could be an interesting game in its own right, and have some interesting ideas, but as a Silent Hill game, fans will hate it because of the direction they're taking the style, seeing it as Silent Hill in name only.

Also, please stop reusing Pyramid Head. Fanservice already ruined his significance.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
I have not been interested by Silent Hill since the third game. The downward trend of quality is unsurprising. Irritating and a little sad...but expected.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Yassen said:
A new Silent Hill is in the works and the trailer was just uploaded to Machinima. It's called Silent Hill Book of Memories.
Wow. Just... wow.

I had heard of this game previously but this is about as much as I have seen of it to date. The whole concept just looks awful. When has Co-op EVER been scary? Silent Hill is about being alone, in a twisted world created from your own personal idea of hell. No backup, no chance, no survival. So now you can select your character's appearance from the get-go? That's not the spirit of Silent Hill.

This is clearly Sony's way of trying to make the Vita look appealing as a console.

"Look! We have existing, popular franchises that are using the Vita! Please buy our handheld console this time! Please..."

Almost right Sony, but Silent Hill is a now ONCE popular franchise and I don't have very high hopes of ever seeing it restored to its former glory again.

Lt._nefarious said:
ChaosStep said:
I started up my second playthrough of Downpour to finish the last achievements. I had to restart it 4 times because I kept spawning in the elevator wall right at the beginning.

I'm not sure which part of Downpour you're referring to as great, but I don't see it.
All of Downpour was great... It was easily the most visually inventive, the combat felt like SH combat and to top it off it was really creepy and weird...

I don't understand why you'd dislike it so...
Downpour was definitely the best Silent Hill since the original 4, but looking at the most recent sequels that's not saying much! But seriously, Downpour deserves more praise than it gets. Vatra tried something different, they had some interesting ideas and although they fell short of actually following through with some of those ideas... the game still presented an atmospheric world and dealt us some solid gameplay. Hell, I was creeped out more than a few times during that game. I can't say that for Homecoming...

ThePenguinKnight said:
Although I have to admit that this is not the worst Silent Hill game to have come out, Shattered Memories is.
Woah, I'm going to have to call you out on that one. What makes you say that about Shattered Memories?

Sure, purely based on the gameplay Shattered Memories is indeed god-awful. Being unable to defend yourself sounds like a good idea but the monsters are not even scary/threatening. There's only one type of enemy, they're not imaginative in their design and their only behaviour is to rush at you rather than the more ambiguous stalking of previous enemies. The biggest problem is that fact that you feel completely safe for the majority of the game because you know there are only certain sections where you're truly at risk.

BUT... I thought the storyline and the epic twist at the end was a true Silent Hill stamp of authenticity. Shattered Memories was just another way of looking at a concept which had grown rather stale. Essentially, at its core, SM was about the troubled mind of an individual who was inflicting torment on their self through the horror of Silent Hill, something that appears to be missing from this latest installment. I was totally against SM from the very beginning because it should have made it's own story and characters rather than bastardizing the original game's characters, but for all it's faults, Shattered Memories certainly wasn't the worst.

Now Homecoming... in my opinion that's a game that proved to everyone that the West has NO idea of what makes a Silent Hill game tick.

Gorilla Gunk said:
Silent Hill is a Western IP now. Either get used to it or shut up and move on.
With attitudes like this it's no wonder that the games industry is drowning under a torrent of constant sequels and unimaginative copy/paste gameplay. Just because Silent Hill is handled by the western world now, doesn't mean we have to lie down and accept utter dross like this game.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Jim Sterling, just played it and previewed it on Destructoid, despite him being an avid Silent Hill fan he liked Book of memories.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
That looks horrible. Explore Silent HIll with up to three friends?? What happened to the cold icy grip of isolation creating an unsettling atmosphere? Nobody even owns a PSP VITA. It looks a little too much like an online free to play game to even BE a Silent Hill game.

Franchise, dead.

ContraBran

May 25, 2012
I still think that Homecoming is the worst of them all because it launched one of the worst and most arrogant developer studios of this millennium in Double Helix.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Rednog said:
Austin Howe said:
Silent Hill is going to continue to be shitty until someone starts developing it without a modern Western idea of horror. Now I realize much of Silent Hill is inspired by select works of modern western horror, but the Japanese are WAY better at the psychological horror thing, whereas your average American horror fans just likes the blood and guts of the equation. The Japanese like that too, but they give it substance. Now I'm not saying the series has to be made by an eastern or Japanese developer, but it has to be made with that aesthetic in mind.

This . . . this goes against everything Silent Hill ever stood for.
Oh man those stupid Americans are to blame for everything....it's not like the last two terrible games were made by developers from the UK and the Czech Republic, oh wait.
And I'm sure the publisher is some evil company like EA...oh it's Konami.
And I quote (myself) "Western idea of horror." The reference to "American horror fans" was a reference to the fanbase that the Western developers that have recently made Silent Hill thinks it's (primarily American) fanbase wants.