New SimCity Will Require Always-On Internet - UPDATED

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Do these guys not listen to anything, Worce the DRM the more likly people will download it without it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So if my internet goes down while playing I just have to NEVER CLOSE THE GAME or I won't be able to play it again.

Sounds fair.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Well, I was interested in this game. Once they release an Origin-free version, I might look into it again. EA really needs to learn that jamming Origin down our throats isn't going to endear us to it.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Steam doesn't require always-on for single-player games. Your story is kinda wrong as written, or is written based on how Steam USED to be and not how it currently is.

LosButcher

May 19, 2009
I don't hate Origin but I won't accept the EULA as it's strips away all my rights.
This isn't the first game I wanted to buy but couldn't (BF3, Warp and now Sim City 5)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
chadachada123 said:
Steam doesn't require always-on for single-player games. Your story is kinda wrong as written, or is written based on how Steam USED to be and not how it currently is.
Never said it did. Origin doesn't require always-on either. SimCity was originally reported as requiring an always-on connection, which is an entirely separate thing from Origin, until EA Maxis clarified/corrected the next day.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Rouzeki said:
dogstile said:
I'm just waiting for the inevitable "but you're complaining online, this doesn't affect you!" argument I always get, because the other person hasn't considered my internet sometimes goes down for days at a time, usually once every two weeks.

I live in a well developed UK town to, I hate to think of what gamers in the EU have to deal with
...we should discuss our mutual annoyance over this with some sort of beverage and snack. I went batty counterpointing that. s'all over my post history from last fall.

it just adds an unnecessary mess. to be fair, I've never played Sim City, so i don't know in what manner its normally been playable, but it sounds to me another option when the nets down just got clipped, and outright denied- ooh, I wonder how this ones gonna monetize to account for it!
Here's a good quick counter point to anyone saying "you're online now" crap. And it applies to me.

Computer that is attached to the internet is in family room with internet and consoles. My bedroom has my high end gaming computer. Not near the internet even for wireless (too many walls/floors between for reliable connection)

Cheers.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Well, I was interested in this game. Once they release an Origin-free version, I might look into it again. EA really needs to learn that jamming Origin down our throats isn't going to endear us to it.
As someone wise pointed out the difference between Steam and Origin is simple yet very important.

EA makes you use Origin to play your games.

Valve makes you want to use Steam to play your games.

The idea EA doesn't get is that we should want not need Origin. That's why Steam kicks ass.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Its pretty popular to demonize companies for their anti pirate techniques. With good reason its a pretty big pain in the ass to anyone without stable internet, doesn't want to keep track of keys or user ID's, etc. And of course none of the anti piracy techniques work so there's that. But since when do pirates get a free pass? This all started because piracy exists. To deny that is to ignore the free for all that was the 1990's gaming world. So why don't we direct some well placed anger at the source of our problems. I'm not a SOPA proponent or anything like that but pirates ARE the source of our gaming woes. Its time they got a good bitching out for it.

I think this is actually a pretty fair attempt for gaming companies to compromise with the gamers. Clearly they hear that were pissed about DRM and have tried to meet us halfway with the multiplayer benefit that might actually yield some cool results.

And in case no one bothered to read the article and went straight to the comments EA commented saying your game will not be interrupted if your internet is out. So I don't know, hate it if you want Scream about how they need to get rid of DRM but they won't. It's just gonna raise your blood pressure and you'll miss out on a potentially fun gaming experience.

Me, I won't buy it cause I fell out of love with Simcity. The last one I played seriously was 2000 and the later installments just limited my ability to shape a world I created.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
FoolKiller said:
Here's a good quick counter point to anyone saying "you're online now" crap. And it applies to me.

Computer that is attached to the internet is in family room with internet and consoles. My bedroom has my high end gaming computer. Not near the internet even for wireless (too many walls/floors between for reliable connection)

Cheers.
I'm not gonna argue the "your online now" point because I agree that its stupid. But if your high end computer can't reach internet on a different floor you could buy a second modem. You bought the computer don't tell me you can't afford a modem? And if you have another argument then that one I'm sorry for you because your case is uniquely tragic.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
This 'update' is negligible.

The problem is Origin, its invasiveness, the DRM, and the fact that we'll get banned from playing a single-player game if we use mods. Saying an internet-hiccup won't interrupt our EA-violation fails to address the primary issue.

Enjoy your Maxis, EA.

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
The value of this game to me just dropped by $50. I'll probably buy it, but only when it reaches a price point that I am comfortable with paying. Considering that my internet connection is about as stable as a kayak in a thunderstorm, it would be useful to me only occasionally and I will pay accordingly.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
IMO there isn't any difference between phone home and always on.

Its my game, I'm not asking anyone's permission to play. And I'm not reporting my play times and durations, system statistics, or any other damn thing unless they ask nicely.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Shame being, it's on Origin, so won't show up on Steam.

Which is a shame, because come the xmas sales and many games being 75-90% off, some people might considering buying a game like this, riddled with the stupidity virus.

'I know it's got that horrible always on thing, but I'll give it a go now it's a fiver.'

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Well so much for this game. It had such great potential. Congradulations EA your destroying your own fan base. Great job. Did I mention this is damage you CAN'T repair? No? ..Oh well.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
CapitalistPig said:
Its pretty popular to demonize companies for their anti pirate techniques. With good reason its a pretty big pain in the ass to anyone without stable internet, doesn't want to keep track of keys or user ID's, etc. And of course none of the anti piracy techniques work so there's that. But since when do pirates get a free pass? This all started because piracy exists. To deny that is to ignore the free for all that was the 1990's gaming world. So why don't we direct some well placed anger at the source of our problems. I'm not a SOPA proponent or anything like that but pirates ARE the source of our gaming woes. Its time they got a good bitching out for it.

I think this is actually a pretty fair attempt for gaming companies to compromise with the gamers. Clearly they hear that were pissed about DRM and have tried to meet us halfway with the multiplayer benefit that might actually yield some cool results.

And in case no one bothered to read the article and went straight to the comments EA commented saying your game will not be interrupted if your internet is out. So I don't know, hate it if you want Scream about how they need to get rid of DRM but they won't. It's just gonna raise your blood pressure and you'll miss out on a potentially fun gaming experience.

Me, I won't buy it cause I fell out of love with Simcity. The last one I played seriously was 2000 and the later installments just limited my ability to shape a world I created.
No what I'm going to do is save myself some money. By not buying a nice looking piece of dog shit being pawned off as "art". If you support them, you deserve what you get. Ask recent Mass Effect 3 people how the last EA purchase they made went. If you want to blind yourself to the obvious thats fine. But don't expect anyone else to.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
CapitalistPig said:

im sorry but your name is correct.
piracy is not a cause of DRM. companies are the cause of DRM. If they had half a brain of baboon they would have realized its not going to work, infact, its going to work backwards, and im pretty sure they know that, after all, i wouldnt want to believe that half the gaming industry is mentally challenged baboons. but they want to treat their costumers like shit. piraciy is merely offering a better service. had the companies bothered with offering a better service piracy would be diminished. when pirating a game is 50 times easier than buying one money is not the reason people pirate, its the service. at least pirates dont treat eachother like lowlifes every turn they get.
they havent tried to meet us half way, they tried to shove their methods down our throats and anyone that disagree with them they called scumbags.
Sure we will miss out on potentialy fun gamign exeprience, because we are not some mindless sheep that allow whoever wants it to treat us like shit. i think its something worth fighting for, dont you?