New SimCity Will Require Always-On Internet - UPDATED

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
It's not like we didn't see this coming as soon as the game was announced. I didn't allow myself to get any hopes up for even a second.

And the defense of Origin in the opening post is just sad. Journalists are following publishers right down into the cesspool.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Hey EA, why don't you ask Monte Christo how well the online-multiplayer city-builder Cities XL did for their 15-yr. old company...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cristo_(company)

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I paid for and kept every sim city game since I was a kid and before Maxis was bought by those bastards at EA. Yea, Fuck you EA.

The best playing experience will be for those who pirate it. Not a good business decision on their part.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
But this isn't a question of Origin, which I have no problem with, but of requiring an always-on connection.
Maybe it isn't an issue for you, but you aren't the only one who gets to define the issue. I have a solid internet connection, so that doesn't bother me. Forcing me to sign up for a service I have no interest in, however, does.

Also the lack of single-player. I really have no interest in multiplayer SimCity. I was so looking forward to a new SimCity. Also, no Mac version? That's an odd choice with Mac marketshare rising and an avid app-buying community on that platform.

wolfister

Oct 20, 2008
neonit said:
i remember that someone has already tried to make "multiplayer sim city". if i recall correctly it didnt last a year.
sure! go ahead! i see absolutely no way how this could POSSIBLY fail.....

nah, maybe it will be good who knows, i played sim city 2000, it was awesome. i played sim city 3000, it was better. i played sim city 4, it was better. i see a trend here you know? - still, we cant judge the game yet, so lets judge their stupid decisions.
One thing about your chart of progression you are forgetting, SimCity Societies sucked.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"We're aware of how people play our games, but to be honest, we think you're stupid and should play the game in the way we want you to. We'll consider your complaints and such things as "responsibility to the customer", but we can't really hear you that well all the way up on top of the mountains of cash we're raking in."

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Everytime I start to get weak and think I might buy another EA title, something like this happens and reminds me why I should never ever give them money again.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
EA? ruining something people liked?! NO------

oh well, so much for maybe getting back into sim city ....

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The people who are OK with always on drm are missing the point.

It is nobody's business but our own what we play.
It is nobody's business but our own when we play.
It is nobody's business but our own how long we play.

If they want to ask me to voluntarily give up some information for the purposes of making the games I enjoy better than that is fine.

No company that feels entitled to automatically get that information is getting my money.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Well, looks like another game that I would buy it it weren't for the DRM. I can see no reason for an always on connection for what has always been, and always will be played by me as, a single player game. Just like I don't participate in the online, social aspects of the newest Sims release, I have no interest in an online Sim City. So, that's two great franchises that I won't be buying, Diablo and now Sim City. A shame, given that I pretty much own every Sim game made by Maxis and EA. This will be the first one I won't touch.

Unreasonable Man

Mar 28, 2012
I may have been able to stomach it being always online but requiring origin is going too far, origin will never befoul this system so welcome to my list of games I shall never pay for.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
PH3NOmenon said:
While my first reaction was "Oh boy, a whole not of needless whining about always on requirements. We're already always on people, get with it!, I don't really get the necessity of it for a Sim City game.

For Diablo, sure. It'd be too easy to cheat otherwise. But in Sim City? I never even considered wanting to play it in multi-player... And for this one, at least, it sounds like a poor excuse to add unneeded DRM.
I fully agree with this post. It will get compared with Diablo III a lot... but Diablo III seems to have more to do with WoW and it will feature real money transactions, this one? I don't see it being similar.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Looks like I'm sticking to Cities XL. Hooray for options!
How is that? I see it on Steam from time to time, and I haven't played a city simulator in years... could be fun.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Easton Dark said:
lacktheknack said:
Looks like I'm sticking to Cities XL. Hooray for options!
How is that? I see it on Steam from time to time, and I haven't played a city simulator in years... could be fun.
It's basically SimCity. Derivative? Yes, but it's now officially better than SimCity because of this news story.

I think it actually has more options and functions than SimCity 4, but I haven't played 4 so I'm not sure. (Could you make your own bus-routes in SimCity 4 and was there 360 degree rotation?)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
weirdguy said:
oh, and by the way, stop griping

[http://www.speedtest.net]
Why should they stop griping about it because you have a worse connection than they do?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt still, but this kinda crushed all interest I've had.

1st the 2 different versions thing and now always on internet needed.

I >love< the idea of playing sync'd with friends, but sometimes an introverted dork wants to play by himself :(.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Great, another game I simply will not play due to the expectation of always on internet. Keep going computer companies. Keep making games that require always on internet and I will continue not buying them. I'll save myself the $60 and see a movie.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
So it's basically SimCity the MMO? I'll grant them that's an interesting idea, although its not a game I'm the least bit interested in playing.