New site look for Cracked

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
So I was over at Cracked.com, and the site has changed colors, fonts, and button layouts. I've gotta say, not to good.

The color change to a white with the new font makes it look generic, and little too professional. Professionla is not something a site mainly based around "5 coolest animals that piss blood" type lists should be going for. Plus all the white is kind of hard on the eyes.

The top links to the new articles no longer fits in one row so the third link wrpas to the bottom, which lookms kind of dumb, like they just didn't know what they were doing.

I liked the older color scheme since it seemed more appropriate for a humor site, and it made it look distinctive. Now it just looks like a generic site.

Anyone else who visits cracked, what do you think.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
Could you post a picture of the front page so I can see please?

Unfortunately Cracked is blocked on my computer (my friend has the password) because it was taking up WAY too much of my time, so I can't see it.

It's ok though, because I can use all the time saved to post of the Escapist...which isn't much more profuctive, and there are photoplasty competitions here.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
San Martin said:

Unfortunately Cracked is blocked on my computer (my friend has the password) because it was taking up WAY too much of my time, so I can't see it.

It's ok though, because I can use all the time saved to post of the Escapist...which isn't much more profuctive, and there are photoplasty competitions here.
Question...why did your friend block it?

OT: Yeah, I miss the old layout.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
Kenbo Slice said:
Question...why did your friend block it?

OT: Yeah, I miss the old layout.
I downloaded a programme to block a load of websites that eat up a load of time because they're kind of addictive, for example Cracked, with the intention of being able to study more efficiently. Surprisingly, it actually worked. My friend came up with password so that I can't go unblocking the websites when bored and waste all my time.

Tacticity

Jun 1, 2011
I go a lot on my phone (app) instead of the site, so it doesn't affect me too much. I like the timeline thing they did, and the "infini-scroll" or whatever it's called is a neat feature if you're trying to catch up on articles.

I do miss the red, though. Without it, it doesn't feel like Cracked as much.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
San Martin said:

Here ya go.

As far as my opinion, I really don't like it. Too much damn white, and they changed the font. It really does feel like a 'professional' redo of the site. I thought that Cracked had an identity, but now it looks no different from the thousands of other sites that have sprung up in the last year

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Lionsfan said:
San Martin said:

Here ya go.

As far as my opinion, I really don't like it. Too much damn white, and they changed the font. It really does feel like a 'professional' redo of the site. I thought that Cracked had an identity, but now it looks no different from the thousands of other sites that have sprung up in the last year
Good gods that looks generic.

And its got that 'around the web' bs links.

I suppose its a good thing time management-wise for me, but then again there is alway TV Tropes!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Hate it. Everyone seems to be changing to the exact same, sterile white background. Removing the colour schemes that created their identity in the attempt at morphing into the same gelatinous glob. Cracked had a great background, there was absolutely no need to change it.

Maybe it's just me but trying to read black text on a pure white background gives me headaches. And watching videos on a pure white background is distracting unless you can dim the lights, which YouTube only did once as a gimmick.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
It reminds me of the way The Escapist looked for awhile, with painfully bright white backgrounds. Everything else about it is fine by me, other than the reported commenting bugs that seem to be plentiful.

cori

Jun 29, 2013
I personally am not a fan either. It feels like cracked has been stripped of its personality and has become "just another website for the LOLs." Why Cracked why?! Perhaps I'll get used to it in a couple of weeks but then and again, probably not.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Yeah, I liked the previous layout a lot better. Just so damn generic now.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, all the After Hours stuff seems to have disappeared. Which was the only decent stuff on the site. Ah well.

Nemusus

Jun 10, 2013
I dropped out of the closed-beta for the new site because it was so bland and generic, hoping they wouldn't put it up for a couple of months... Seriously, what where they thinking? The site is just so much less eye-catching now. I really hope they go back to the old colour scheme, it really made Cracked different to all the other sites out there. Here's hoping the Escapist let us keep customizing our backgrounds: the only white thing I want on the sides of an Escapist article are Yahtzee's little white gremlin things.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I saw they changed their site, but I honestly can't tell the difference, and I read Cracked everyday. The most noticeable change is that they ditched that red banner in favor of a grey-blueish one. Other than that, it's like they never changed anything.

Can anyone post a picture before the change? I'm googling pictures of it and to be honest, it doesn't seem that different to me.

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
Not a fan at all. I would usually chalk it down to the fact that most layout redesigns seem bad to begin with because it messes with familiarity, but this is just a step in the wrong direction.