New Skyrim Special Edition Gameplay Trailer Shows Off Comparisons to the Original

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Xan Krieger said:
All that time plus starting over for what? No new content? I don't even use mods, the game is great vanilla with the official add-ons.
The bold and the underlined rather point to a huge contradiction...
Buizel91 said:
I've heard it also runs in 60fps (for PC anyway not sure on consoles)

Doesn't that give way to new options with the modding community etc? Less limitations etc.
As has been pointed out; it could run 60 and then some. And no, framerate wouldn't affect what could or couldn't be done with modding.
Zhukov said:
Looks like current Skyrim with a HD texture pack and one of the overzealous lighting mods.

Seriously, they could have jumped on Nexus Mods and paid some folks there peanuts and got the same result.
Well, as as been fairly glaringly established it's not really for the PC crowd given ENB's and years of modding is there to overhaul it. Mods have never been available on console for Skyrim, so if nu-Skyrim's supported well then it's pretty much a completely new game.

Even being a--- well, 'fan'/regular player of TES as well as a console gamer, I personally don't see much reason for it to exist even for those reasons. I'm skeptical whether it'll be supported as well as Fallout 4 has, given it's an old game, and Fallout 4 had the added novelty of being the first game on console to run mods. Bethesda have clearly enjoyed the success of modded Fallout on console XB1, so if they can knock out a slightly fancier looking Skyrim and add mods, then that's pretty much a no-brainer, even if we're just considering the potential profits. Plus, Skyrim wasn't BC, and I wouldn't have minded firing it up every now and then. Nu-Skyrim + mods should ensure I at least have some reasons to start a new character [and finally do some virtual camping in a properly dark vritual night].

Plus, the more popular modding becomes on consoles becomes the better for everyone. It'd, y'know, help if Sony stopped being morons but hopefully they'll see sense eventually.
Contradiction? Why? I didn't consider the official add-ons to be mods, I view them like the DLC they are. To me mods are what the community makes, those wonderful things that add so much to games that it can make the developers jealous.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Bindal said:
Poetic Nova said:
No safe transfer sadly means i'm not getting it. Doesn't seem to be much of a graphical upgrade anyway.
And 10 to 1 it is broken for 2 years.
On PC, safes apparently should transfer, if the game isn't too modded.
Well... looks like I'm starting a new save.
Which would be good. I haven't touched Skyrim in probably a year and it's really nice to hear it's free for PC (with conditions).

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
Contradiction? Why? I didn't consider the official add-ons to be mods, I view them like the DLC they are. To me mods are what the community makes, those wonderful things that add so much to games that it can make the developers jealous.
You were effectively complaining about "no new content", yet this version will provide potentially endless new content (content you've apparently had access to - yet spurn), at least for one console.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Xan Krieger said:
You were effectively complaining about "no new content", yet this version will provide potentially endless new content (content you've apparently had access to - yet spurn), at least for one console.
Alright let me rephrase that.

"I'm on PC, now I probably won't even download it. All that time plus starting over for what? No new content for PC? I don't even use mods, the game is great vanilla with the official add-ons."

Also I didn't always spurn it, I just found it made the game crash more often so I quit using them. I love mods, just not for Bethesda games.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Xan Krieger said:

"I'm on PC, now I probably won't even download it. All that time plus starting over for what? No new content for PC? I don't even use mods, the game is great vanilla with the official add-ons."

Also I didn't always spurn it, I just found it made the game crash more often so I quit using them. I love mods, just not for Bethesda games.
Fair enough, that is certainly more clear.

Out of curiosity: if you've played Skyrim and like modding, then what is it about Bethesda's games and modding you don't like? The entire series has been embracing it since Morrowind.

...wait, you edited the last line. Surely crashes/stability couldn't have been the only reason? If you were getting serious issues, then there would've been a solution given people can run scores or hundreds of mods and not cause fundamental issues.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Xan Krieger said:

Fair enough, that is certainly more clear.

Out of curiosity: if you've played Skyrim and like modding, then what is it about Bethesda's games and modding you don't like? The entire series has been embracing it since Morrowind.

...wait, you edited the last line. Surely crashes/stability couldn't have been the only reason? If you were getting serious issues, then there would've been a solution given people can run scores or hundreds of mods and not cause fundamental issues.
I've been having the problem since Fallout 3 which actually crashed more than New Vegas. That was all on my old computer which had issues anyway so maybe things would be different now. I remember a mod that added Warhammer 40,000 stuff to Skyrim, was pretty funny to smack a dragon with a pair of demonhammers or shoot it out of the sky with plasma pistols but it also made things a tad easy. Good times though.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
Definitely great on PC if you're running a fairly vanilla game. However, since SKSE will likely not be coming to the Special Edition, I will not actually be playing it. Still, some people aren't into heavily modding their games, so it's nice for them. Personally, I can't imagine playing the game without SkyUI or a bunch of others that require SKSE.
Wait what?
SkyUI better make it to this version or it'll remain basically unplayable to me.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
loa said:
RedDeadFred said:
Definitely great on PC if you're running a fairly vanilla game. However, since SKSE will likely not be coming to the Special Edition, I will not actually be playing it. Still, some people aren't into heavily modding their games, so it's nice for them. Personally, I can't imagine playing the game without SkyUI or a bunch of others that require SKSE.
Wait what?
SkyUI better make it to this version or it'll remain basically unplayable to me.
It doesn't sound like SKSE is coming to this version, and SkyUI needs that.... so ya, you'll probably be sticking with the original. Again though, for PC, that doesn't matter since you can already make the game look better than this. My version looks basically the same minus some of the lighting effects. I was mostly looking forward to this version to shorten my mod list by not requiring all the graphics mods. Seems that won't be the case.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Bad Jim said:
I think the 64 bit thing will be fairly significant if you like to mod the hell out of the game. In the future, when PCs with 128GB RAM are the norm, the difference will be pretty stark. And right now, you get a lot of stability from not needing a dozen mods to make it pretty.
Again, it would be great but I think there would be problems with the gaming engine long before you ran into that issue. Also there's a huge potential that making it a 64-bit architecture can cause different bugs compared to it's 32-bit counter part, this is Bethesda after all and should any these issues arise as of a result how long are they willing to officially support it?

I suppose if you're insane enough you could load the entire game onto the RAM but the performance benefit is questionable.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
A lot of the QoL mods I run need it, and unless Bethesda have made considerable alterations to how the game runs (besides a new coat of paint) then I won't be getting it either.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
loa said:
RedDeadFred said:
Wait what?
It doesn't sound like SKSE is coming to this version, and SkyUI needs that.... so ya, you'll probably be sticking with the original. Again though, for PC, that doesn't matter since you can already make the game look better than this. My version looks basically the same minus some of the lighting effects. I was mostly looking forward to this version to shorten my mod list by not requiring all the graphics mods. Seems that won't be the case.
From what I heard, SKSE is going to be made for Special Edition, but probably needs a lot of work due changes from 32 to 64 bit.
I personally, might download the re-release just to see how it does performance wise. After that, I go back to the original until most of the important mods are ported over.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
So, can we mod out the ridiculous way dragons speak in this game?

Also, it seems that the people at Playstation Access have done a better job at a comparison video than Bethesda;

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Bindal said:
RedDeadFred said:
loa said:
RedDeadFred said:
Wait what?
From what I heard, SKSE is going to be made for Special Edition, but probably needs a lot of work due changes from 32 to 64 bit.
I personally, might download the re-release just to see how it does performance wise. After that, I go back to the original until most of the important mods are ported over.
Good news, it actually seems that you're right. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1568922-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse/page-4#entry25167720 Definitely some uncertainty, but I'm a lot more hopeful than I was.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I continue to worry;
This will make wandering fairly pretty, and there's some crisper textures but not much has actually changed. Some rehauls of mechanics, some additions maybe. Why does this "Remaster" craze just translate to "download a hi-rez pack and call it a day"?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Zydrate said:
I continue to worry;
This will make wandering fairly pretty, and there's some crisper textures but not much has actually changed. Some rehauls of mechanics, some additions maybe. Why does this "Remaster" craze just translate to "download a hi-rez pack and call it a day"?
Probably because it's a "remaster" and not "improved remake" - which translates more to "port to new console generation and then prettied up within the capability of these systems".

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Is there any reason to buy the new consoles other than play old games with better graphics? I think I am going to play Skyrim on the PS3 on the a TV that doesn't have the latest HD quality graphics.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Looks like they changed the trees and added some instagram filter. I guess these remasters are a good way for game companies to make some money.

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
Zhukov said:
Looks like current Skyrim with a HD texture pack and one of the overzealous lighting mods.

Seriously, they could have jumped on Nexus Mods and paid some folks there peanuts and got the same result.
Are they not still giving away the game for free for anyone who bought the full game previously on PC? if that's still the case then it's cool of them to do, even if the same results could have been achieved with mods.