New Smash Bros won't have story or cutscenes because of... the internet

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-c-906856304

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai lamented. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

Can someone please send Nintendo a calender so they know it's, you know, 2013 this year.. all year?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
What an utterly stupid reasoning. I hope someone talks some sense into Sakurai.

By all means don't have them, they weren't all that important to Brawl. Just give us an actual reason rather then stupid drivel.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
"You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]."

Wow, then why bother to make them at all? It's like Nintendo doesn't want me to buy a Wii-U. Explain yourself Nintendo.

"I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

Well, hell there is your problem right there. Cutscenes being treated as "shiny rewards" are the cutscenes I don't mind skipping. Cutscenes should only be used to offer a purpose for the gameplay. I would think that playing the game is the reward for playing the game. Silly me, little did I know people only play games to watch cutscenes. Yeah, I can't get on board with that.

Man, this makes me think of a kid going "Dad, dad, dad, dad, dad" then dad going "WHAT?!?!" followed by "Well, nevermind." Go to your room and pout Nintendo, I don't want to listen to it.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Their excuse is rubbish, but I'm glad the next Smash won't have a story mode. Sakurai could put those development resources to better use anyway.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
So long as a more classic adventure/stage mode like Melee and the original is still present I'll be happy. I'll keep the challenge mode too, shame we probably won't have a boss rush mode now, I liked beating it with Jigglypuff.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
soo...will the next SSB revert back to the Melee style adventure mode? I can deal with that to be honest.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Savagezion said:

Wow, then why bother to make them at all? It's like Nintendo doesn't want me to buy a Wii-U. Explain yourself Nintendo.

"I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

Well, hell there is your problem right there. Cutscenes being treated as "shiny rewards" are the cutscenes I don't mind skipping. Cutscenes should only be used to offer a purpose for the gameplay. I would think that playing the game is the reward for playing the game. Silly me, little did I know people only play games to watch cutscenes. Yeah, I can't get on board with that.

Man, this makes me think of a kid going "Dad, dad, dad, dad, dad" then dad going "WHAT?!?!" followed by "Well, nevermind." Go to your room and pout Nintendo, I don't want to listen to it.
What you said made no sense . Try again .

OT: I think he's right . Youtube killed a lot of things in gaming in my opinion . There no longer any reward for doing anything when you can just say , fuck it , i'm watching it on youtube . However , while his reasoning is correct , it's misplaced on SSB . SSB, main focus is on the gameplay , not the story . Removing cutscene in a game like that changes little in regards of the actual game . HOWEVER , it will save them money . Cutscenes are not needed in SSB , and not having them will have little or no impact on the game itself and the number of people buying it . I sincerely doubt there are many people that are going to refuse to buy this game due to the lack of cutscenes . So this is a good move . Again this is all in my opinion.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The reasoning is very stupid.

But come on people. Is this really going to break the game? Is this really gonna keep you from getting a WiiU?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Sakurai YOU uploaded some of those cutscenes to your blog ya idiot. Also I'm increasingly convinced that you don't have what it takes to deal with a having a game this popular.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I look forward to the day when developers can make choices in their game without assigning blame. I have never really cared for the cutscenes in SSB so if it costs a ton of money for a feature I dont care about, dont we all win?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Dryk said:
Sakurai YOU uploaded some of those cutscenes to your blog ya idiot. Also I'm increasingly convinced that you don't have what it takes to deal with a having a game this popular.
Why yes.
I'm pretty sure the man behind creating these games have every right to upload his own content onto his own personal blog. However the people who upload said cutscenes to Youtube had no hand in creating any of the content of those cutscenes.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
The explanation is idiotic, but the end result is good. I hesitate to call what Brawl had was a "story" anyways.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Brian Tams said:
The explanation is idiotic, but the end result is good. I hesitate to call what Brawl had was a "story" anyways.
Yeah, and while it had its fun points, I won't miss it. But I hope the next one has a boss challenge mode, because I found the bosses really fun to beat!

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Am I alone in enjoying the story mode two player coop.
I loved the stupid little jokes and random character combinations like pikachu and samus.

May 10, 2013
krazykidd said:
Savagezion said:

OT: I think he's right . Youtube killed a lot of things in gaming in my opinion . There no longer any reward for doing anything when you can just say , fuck it , i'm watching it on youtube . However , while his reasoning is correct , it's misplaced on SSB . SSB, main focus is on the gameplay , not the story . Removing cutscene in a game like that changes little in regards of the actual game . HOWEVER , it will save them money . Cutscenes are not needed in SSB , and not having them will have little or no impact on the game itself and the number of people buying it . I sincerely doubt there are many people that are going to refuse to buy this game due to the lack of cutscenes . So this is a good move . Again this is all in my opinion.
I'm afraid you got it mixed up dude, what YOU said makes sense. I am so sick of everyone complaining about Youtube in reference to Gaming, it's like when fat people blamed McDonalds for their obesity, no McDonalds didn't force you to eat those Quarter Pounders, McDonalds didn't bribe you to eat those Quarter Pounders. Exercise RESTRAINT people. I don't own The Last Of Us yet but i have 20+ Youtube Channels i'm subscribed to that played it. Didn't watch a single video. Why? Because i want to play it, i don't want to spoil it and i know how to exercise restraint. Does no one else know how to?

NoMercy Rider

May 17, 2013
Okay, this sort of mindset by developers really pisses me off. Developers need to get the thought out of their thick skull that players may want to play the game differently than what they intended. Most importantly, a game should be fun for the gamer, regardless of how they decide to play the game. We get these folks designing games that feel like a game should only be experienced the way that the developer intended the game to be experienced.

This is a perfect example. So what if a player wants to "ruin" the game by watching cutscenes on youtube? What harm does that serve to the developer? I think most folks would want to play the game au naturale and experience the cutscenes as an accomplishment. But if someone lacks the motivation to beat the game with all characters, let them have the choice to view the cutscenes online if they wish, so what if the game wasn't played as you intended. So instead they just cut the scenes out altogether? WTF?

Another frequent example is developers intentionally leaving out manual save in PC games because they want to avoid "save scumming." If a player wants to save scum the game, making the game much easier and potentially ruining the experience, just let them.

I remember a Dishonored developer said that he wanted players to "break" their game, to find new and inventive ways to complete missions. That is the right approach IMO.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
You can only wow a person once with a story. After they've read the book, don't bother to make a movie or television show out of it, and get rid of the book after they've finished reading it.

Same reasoning, stupid reasoning. What if I liked the cutscenes in SSBB?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That reasoning is rubbish. I've actually watched the cutscenes in SSBB several times because I liked them. Besides since when were cutscenses rewards? I always thought they were there to deliver story elements that couldn't be delivered through gameplay.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
krazykidd said:
Savagezion said:

Um...no, not at all. I'm afraid it's you that has no idea what you're talking about, in regards to Youtube 'ruining' anything. I watch LP's on Youtube all the time, cutscenes and all, and many times it has made me go, 'okay now I need to play this game for myself.'

If you or anyone else has such a problem with Youtube ruining everything, there's always the option of, you know, not watching the cutscenes on Youtube if you don't want anything from Smash Bros. glorified fanfic story mode to be spoiled for you. This isn't like people standing by the queues outside Borders and shouting 'Snape kills Dumbledore' through a loudhailer; people have the choice to walk away.

Leaking the cutscenes on Youtube would actually be a smart move in Smash Bros. case, because it would be a good way to reveal new characters or gimmicks in the series, which would help generate interest and shift units; something Nintendo desperately needs to do, right now.

OT: What Nintendo have done here is insane, and serves as further proof that the company is being run by a bunch of bewildered old men who still think it's 1994.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Dragonbums said:
The reasoning is very stupid.

But come on people. Is this really going to break the game? Is this really gonna keep you from getting a WiiU?
Yes. The story mode was the only part of Brawl I actually played for any length of time, so if it's not in the new game then I have no interest in getting it and, as such, it's one less reason to pick up a WiiU.