New Smash Bros won't have story or cutscenes because of... the internet

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah well makes my decision to buy Smash Brothers games easier. I'll not bother because the developers are idiots.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Good, not that i hated the Subspace mode, just that the game felt cinematic...there wasn't anything simple such as a regular adventure mode or whatever, and stuff like Stickers seemed pointless but extremely collectable, with that said, i wonder what's stopping people from leaking the Pokemon X/Y pokedex this time, i mean there's an Eshop release, assuming that Nintendo doesn't add some No-Copy thing for specific games, that literally opens it up to savefile editors, trying to figure out what makes the game tick. (as of writing, i assume there's no action replays)

Not to mention the inevitable flow of people making bad captions in Gary's Mod using models extracted from X/Y on sites like deviantart spamming the search results.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
After Brawl's godawful story mode, I'm perfectly fine if they don't waste time on stuff like that again.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Brawl didn't have much of a story anyway. Nor was it that great. Most people don't play Smash for the story. Or hardly any fighting game for that matter. This is good news. I'd rather Nintendo focus on gameplay modes that actually get used a decent amount.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Dragonbums said:
The reasoning is very stupid.

But come on people. Is this really going to break the game? Is this really gonna keep you from getting a WiiU?
Well, a lot of us are hoping they put that money and effort to improving on other things.

Even though I don't understand why people would find the Sub Space Emissary or cutscenes the best part of the series (then again I find Brawl pointless), I do find a lot of people really need some form of a story to motivate them, or prefer the cutscenes as the rewards. It is now a thing and the ambition to go for such lengths was extraordinary.

I personally think they should try to make a story but keep most of it in a communication screen if that makes sense. Then again, I would be really happy with some Adventure Modes filled with interesting challenges.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
That's like a restaurant not opening because someone ate a piece of their bread once.
Or an album not releasing because someone snatched the cover art.

Cutscenes aren't a reward, they're stuffing to give the good parts context. Nothing more.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
That is absolute bull! If only I knew just how many times I have have watched the cutscene where everyone in Brawl takes on that fortress and is finished by Kirby destroying the thing with the dragoon.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Dominic Crossman said:
Am I alone in enjoying the story mode two player coop.
I loved the stupid little jokes and random character combinations like pikachu and samus.
No you're not!
I loved smahing my way through enemies with my friend :D

PN8

May 14, 2013
We all know that the real reason to cut down on the development costs and time. Nintendo really should learn how to efficiently make HD games, it's making them look pathetic when they they something like "oh we didn't know this would take this much time".

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Sleekit said:
[small]i feel like Captain Kirk in Star Trek V...[/small]

o/ excuse me...but why does a fighting game need cut scenes ?...
Because more and more fighting games are having more robust story modes. People these days want more than just a little scrawl of text at the end when they beat the game with each character.

I for one will miss having a nice story mode with cut-scenes the next Smash Bros. I loved what was done with Brawl and it's story mode. I loved the cut-scenes in Brawl; I liked how it linked all the characters in the game together to at least loosely explain what was going on and why they were fighting.

I like fighting games, but I'm more of a single player person, and it is hard for me to get a good online connection or friends that want to regularly play against me. Plus, online multiplayer fighting communities are really stupid and sometimes nasty. I was kicked many times from online Soul Calibur 4 matches because I wasn't "playing right" or they didn't like me using made characters that the people in the room didn't like.

So, having a robust story mode with cut-scenes and getting new story bits and cut-scenes with each character makes the game much more enjoyable and keeps me playing for at least three times or more longer than if it was just a wham-bam credits kind of fighting game.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
SouthernStar said:
Aren't you guys tired of playing as the same characters for the last 20 odd years lol? Nintendo is gonna beat this horse until its eyes fly 4254636364 million miles past the sun.
SouthernStar said:
I guess but for the millionth time? I'm a big brawl fan but I wish Nintendo would just come up with at least 1 new idea besides rehashing the same thing repeatedly
Considering what is out there in the fighting game scene, especially franchise fighters, Nintendo has been doing an amazing job.

I got all three iterations of Smash Bros. When they came out, and each one feels different compared to each other.

Different levels, different items, and new characters added.

I just can't take your fan status seriously. Especially with the millionth time comment. So far there is only three games in the franchise with two side by side games on the way.

It is hardly the millionth time. Of course you probably mean fighting similar battles over and over, but really, that is what fighting games are about. Smash Bros. has slowly evolved into a platform fighter, with a heavy platform story mode in Brawl. There isn't much else that can be done beyond that with out breaking franchise and creating a whole knew one, which isn't what most people are wanting. Like me, they just want a game with a majority of the old characters back, along with some good new ones(which I will definitely be playing as Mega Man first if he is unlocked in the beginning, which I highly doubt).

Insertclevername

Apr 17, 2013
SouthernStar said:
Neverhoodian said:
Really? That's your reason? Because I'll have you know that's a stupid reason. Don't they realize that stuff like this is essentially free publicity? I'd bet good money that at least a handful of people decided to buy the game after watching the cutscenes on Youtube.

SouthernStar said:
Aren't you guys tired of playing as the same characters for the last 20 odd years lol? Nintendo is gonna beat this horse until its eyes fly 4254636364 million miles past the sun.
But these games take those cherished icons and let us beat the everloving shit out of them. Surely there's some appeal to that?

I guess but for the millionth time? I'm a big brawl fan but I wish Nintendo would just come up with at least 1 new idea besides rehashing the same thing repeatedly
Wonderful 101.

There's your one new idea.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Wait... where did it say they were removing the story stage mode? And when did the 'story' mode actually have a story anyway? It was just a series of stages that put all the characters you didn't pick in somewhere and you just progressed... there was no actual compelling story. The only reason you played it was to unlock stuff!