New Space Marine DLC Blasts Down In December

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New Space Marine DLC Blasts Down In December

Get ready to join the forces of Chaos with the new DLC for Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.

Well, that didn't take long, did it? Hot on the heels of the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113553-Free-Space-Marine-DLC-Launching-in-Late-October>free downloadable content that came out last week, THQ has announced yet another addition for <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-40-000-Marine-X360-Xbox-360/dp/B003S2MXRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320272428&sr=8-1>Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine. This new add-on features a slew of content, though it won't be free when it comes out.

The new DLC pack will sell for 800 Microsoft Points ($9.99 on other platforms) when it's released. It'll include a new Exterminatus co-op mode called "Chaos Unleashed." This mode will cast players as Chaos Marines who are going up against both Orks and the Imperial Guard. There are also going to be three new multiplayer maps, boss battles, and a new enemy unit: the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyker#Imperial_Guard>Imperial Sanctioned Psyker. Additionally, it sounds like the game will also receive a free Capture The Flag mode when the update comes out.

Finally, Space Marine is also getting some new skins for Alpha Legion, Blood Angels, Legion of the Damned, and Salamanders; the skins will sell for 240 MS Points.

Neither THQ nor Relic has revealed exactly when the DLC will arrive, though they have stated that it'll be released simultaneously for Windows, Xbox Live, and the PlayStation Network. Currently, "December" is about as specific as anyone will say.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-02-new-warhammer-40k-space-marine-dlc-announced>Eurogamer

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Legion of the Damned.

My face lit up when I found this article earlier. I wonder how they will implement that. As you can recruit Legion of the Damned troops for both Imperial and Traitor forces in the tabletop game.[footnote]Correct me if I'm wrong about that, but it certainly used to be the case[/footnote]

Anyway, New maps, new modes, new chapter skins.

Now where's a good "take my money" pic...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
EverythingIncredible said:
They should have Shas'O Kais as a DLC character to use in co-op.

That'd sell copies. Hell, I already have planned out how the character could work in the game. :3
You mean this guy?

This guy who is so hilariously overpowered in a straight shooting match that it's not even funny. Yeah he would be hacked into tiny pieces if he was hit by a small rock but that's basically like saying; "Let's take an Assault Marine, and merge it with a Devastator, then add more weapons, then add support drones. Then add rocket pods and face it off against a horde army."

Then all challenge in Exterminatus is thrown out the window as the main drawback and balance for having a Jump Pack is that you can't shoot your way through an Exterminatus match as an Assault marine. You have to get back into combat eventually to make a difference. A Shas'O Kais could just jump around a map, merrily blasting away with no challenge whatsoever.

Sorry, I really wasn't meaning to sound rude there but I honestly don't see any way that this idea wouldn't screw over the balance system.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They shouldn't make it paid, the player base isn't quite large enough to do paid content like that, the skins are fine but it should really be a free mode.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Worgen said:
They shouldn't make it paid, the player base isn't quite large enough to do paid content like that, the skins are fine but it should really be a free mode.
But you forget: Xbox Live's policies.
True, but I play it on the pc.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Balances would be applied, naturally.

Axe the support drones. Make him acquire weapons by picking up the Space Marine equivalent, replace the melee with a flamethrower that uses ammo but has a longer rage and you can use guns while it is active. And have maps that occasionally give players jump packs. The Shas'O Kais version would axe the ground pound but allow him to hover in the air for longer than the Space Marine. And he would slowly regenerate core health over time.

The drawbacks would be that he has no execute attacks, enemies being up close means that he's at a much greater disadvantage than others.
Marines don't get an execute attack in Co-Op anyway. Personally, I would remove all but one weapon, however, make it changeable through some in-game means I can't think of at the moment. Replace the ground pound with a blast attack that does no damage but stuns enemies upon landing. Keep shields but decrease health by about half. Meaning punishment for being foolish enough to lose shields and get mobbed to death. And yeah, take out the Drones too.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Worgen said:
True, but I play it on the pc.
More Microsoft policies than just the DLC one. In particular, it'd make the Xbox 360 version inferior and hinder the chances of Microsoft allowing THQ to publish on the Xbox 360.
Yeah cause that totally happened with valve and cod4 and several other games whose names escape me.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Worgen said:
Without the cost, There can be no skins.
It has purpose
The cost has no purpose if not enough people buy it for a player to be able to play it when they want. Besides, they make money with skins, dow2 has been making good money by selling army skins.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Worgen said:
Without the cost, There can be no skins.
It has purpose
Really?

You know, days after the release of the Space Marine Demo, I saw skin mods for Salamanders, Blood Angels and more. I imagine it takes talent to do that, but I think they're kind of BSing us.
They have said that they are going to alternate between more free and more paid DLC in the future. They have to make money for a sequel somewhere. I for one, being a huge fan of the game, will buy everything. Because THQ did a great job catering the atmosphere of 40K and small details to the 40K fans. I gladly give them my money.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Good news. I've been enjoying the Exterminatus DLC despite it being late (on 360). I'll probably get this too. I seem to be buying a lot of DLC with little remorse these days. I should probably avoid that because the lack of a physical transaction is keeping me from thinking frugally.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Seems rather reasonable. Three new maps, a new Co-Op mode, boss battles and a new enemy.

Now to get back to my clan if they still play >.>