New Star Wars: The Old Republic Novel Finally Finishes Revan's Story

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
HankMan said:
Adzma said:
Yeah that was my exact thought. Yes BioWare, I've been waiting nearly 10 years for the resolution to Revan's story. No BioWare I didn't want to read about it in a novel, I wanted to play through it in something called a sequel.
You mean like Dragon Age II?
I feel like I'm gonna see that kind of response a lot.

Then again you're probably right. In many ways BioWare is better off moving the franchise into the MMO-space, judging by how upset fans can get when their beloved games change in the sequels. Hard to compare DA2 to an MMO. I really hope they're able to live that down soon (even though I liked it).

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Need. Need now. I would have loved a release date but knowing that it's being written at all (and by Karpyshyn) is just fine. Can't wait to hear more about this x3

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Woodsey said:
Oh God, am I really going to break my vow to never cross the ultimate nerd-line (well, one of many "ultimate" nerd-lines that I refuse to cross)?
I know! The temptation.

This book will be what KOTOR 2 should have been, It should have at least told us about Revans story, let us unravel his post Starforge life, but It did not, there was no try.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
When I saw the title of the article I already decided to buy it. Can't freaking wait. My Revan was usually Light Side Male so this book will be incredible for me.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
I'll look it up on the wiki when it comes out. :) Also, Revan for me was lightside until he finds out that he was *the* Revan then goes darkside on Korriban. The Exile was a female lightsider. :)

The lightside ending in the first game was terrible and cliche. Yes, the same can be said for the DS ending but you know what? I don't care, it's just cooler to lift the blade of war and stab it into the heart of the Republic. Feh, the LS ending just makes him a Knight... Should have been a master after being a Sith Lord.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Woodsey said:
Oh God, am I really going to break my vow to never cross the ultimate nerd-line (well, one of many "ultimate" nerd-lines that I refuse to cross)?
I'm in the same boat woodsey.

Should I go into the abyss to see the truth? Or should I remain in the darkness, forming my own reality?

I weep for I will enter the abyss never to return.

John, I need detail on this guy. did he write anything else? Novels, Fanfiction hell even a book report from sixth grade.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
Woodsey said:
I'm in the same boat woodsey.

Should I go into the abyss to see the truth? Or should I remain in the darkness, forming my own reality?

I weep for I will enter the abyss never to return.

John, I need detail on this guy. did he write anything else? Novels, Fanfiction hell even a book report from sixth grade.
"written by Drew Karpyshyn, the Principal Writer at BioWare who wrote the scenario and much of the dialogue for the first KotOR - so for him, this is familiar territory."

He's certainly one of the most qualified people to write about it.

You know, all this stuff gets put up on Wookieepedia eventually anyway, so if its not all revealed in TOR...

GodEmperor47

Nov 12, 2010
There are still people stupid enough to believe Bioware was going to make KOTOR 3? You know, I have a bridge I'm looking to sell.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I expect this to be shit, because video game novels always are, but I'll try and find a plot summary on the internet once it's out anyway. I really want to find out what happened to Revan. :S

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Oroboros said:
(spoiler)

Jumwa said:
The canon version is of a male Light-side Revan? That evaporates my interest in knowing what happens.
And the canon ending for KoTOR II is Lightside female. Neither one matches up with my playthroughs. It feels like a big middle finger from bioware to me, waiting all this time to get a MMO instead of an rpg that is set hundreds of years after both the exile and revan are dead, instead of a continuation of their stories, and then canon got fixed to render 15/16 of the possible outcomes (having played through both games) irrelevant.
well, in all fairness it would be hard for KOTOR to make sense in the wider star wars universe without canon light side endings. otherwise you end up with things like the Republic being conquered by the sith, or the jedi being completely exterminated, both of which contradict the movies pretty severely.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
WANT. SO MUCH WANT.

I scoured KOTOR 2 over about 30 playthroughs looking for clues/hints/ANYTHING relating to the whereabouts and welfare of the characters from KOTOR 1, especially Revan.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Who the fuck is running LucasArts? Does anyone know?

Of all the times to decide to try and innovate with a franchise, they choose to do it after the somewhat cliff-hanger ending of KOTOR II? And then finish the story in a novel?

I hate them so, so, so, so, so much. But at least they're addressing it. AFter TOR was announced, I was sure they were just trying to brush KOTOR II under the rug and leave it forgotten.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
aashell13 said:
Oroboros said:
(spoiler)

Jumwa said:
The canon version is of a male Light-side Revan? That evaporates my interest in knowing what happens.
And the canon ending for KoTOR II is Lightside female. Neither one matches up with my playthroughs. It feels like a big middle finger from bioware to me, waiting all this time to get a MMO instead of an rpg that is set hundreds of years after both the exile and revan are dead, instead of a continuation of their stories, and then canon got fixed to render 15/16 of the possible outcomes (having played through both games) irrelevant.
well, in all fairness it would be hard for KOTOR to make sense in the wider star wars universe without canon light side endings. otherwise you end up with things like the Republic being conquered by the sith, or the jedi being completely exterminated, both of which contradict the movies pretty severely.
KoTOR is so far removed chronologically, I think that it was assumed (before the set the canon) that your actions were reversed eventually, considering nothing from KoTOR I or II has any impact or references on or in the six movies. Besides, by the time Reven and possibly the exile leave to go look for the true sith, the sith empire in republic space has crumbled. There really wasn't a need for a canon ending considering this, except to make more money. (but not my money) All they needed to do in a sequel would have been to give the same sort of dialogue option that KoTOR II did, since there is such a huge time difference between KoTOR and the movies, there would be no canon conflict (canon conflicts didn't stop them from letting you say tell atton that revan was dark side and female in II) by making the decision to make a MMO instead, the pretty much eliminated this possibility though, unfortunately.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Oroboros said:
aashell13 said:
Oroboros said:
(spoiler)

Jumwa said:
KoTOR is so far removed chronologically, I think that it was assumed (before the set the canon) that your actions were reversed eventually, considering nothing from KoTOR I or II has any impact or references on or in the six movies. Besides, by the time Reven and possibly the exile leave to go look for the true sith, the sith empire in republic space has crumbled. There really wasn't a need for a canon ending considering this, except to make more money. (but not my money) All they needed to do in a sequel would have been to give the same sort of dialogue option that KoTOR II did, since there is such a huge time difference between KoTOR and the movies, there would be no canon conflict (canon conflicts didn't stop them from letting you say tell atton that revan was dark side and female in II) by making the decision to make a MMO instead, the pretty much eliminated this possibility though, unfortunately.
The Star Wars geeks so desperately need their canon that it's irrelevant. Even if a sequel was never made to KOTOR, even if it was never even mentioned again in any other EU material, they would have a canon ending, damnit.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
The Bandit said:
Oroboros said:
aashell13 said:
Oroboros said:
(spoiler)

Jumwa said:
The Star Wars geeks so desperately need their canon that it's irrelevant. Even if a sequel was never made to KOTOR, even if it was never even mentioned again in any other EU material, they would have a canon ending, damnit.
Yeah, there is no real reason for them to attempt to tie canon of any kind to KoTOR, It might as well be an alternate universe in the SW universe for all the effect it had on the movies. But those EU writers couldn't let things lie like that, no-siree! Everything in SW has to be connected by a million billion plot threads! Nothing is allowed to remain a mystery! No SW game can have a dark side ending, it's not allowed, we'll have to make it so only the light side ending is allowed for any follow-up games!

This sort of thing (along with the prequel trilogy) all but ruined my interest in SW. Really, why bother giving a game multiple endings if you are just going to invalidate them later on? It's a real kick in the pants for people who didn't play the game through in a specific way to find out that what they did didn't count. I'm sure people would be angry if they started Mass Effect II and weren't allowed to import their saves from the first game, and were forced to use the default story. Somehow this sort of thing gets to fly all the time in Star Wars games though, I can't think of a single game that didn't have a 'canon' lightside ending.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
aashell13 said:
WANT. SO MUCH WANT.

I scoured KOTOR 2 over about 30 playthroughs looking for clues/hints/ANYTHING relating to the whereabouts and welfare of the characters from KOTOR 1, especially Revan.
So you used your electronic skills to hack T3-M4 and reveal a hidden message from Bastila Shan, which was intended for Revan?