New Star Wars: The Old Republic Novel Finally Finishes Revan's Story

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Mr Wednesday said:
Arg, really? I don't want them to finish the Revan story, I want to do it myself!
That has never stopped fan fiction writers before why would it stop them now?

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
lumenadducere said:
LA has made plenty of references to Revan in their comics and books, so there's no way they'd be able to keep the character gender-neutral and personality-void forever. At some point they were going to have to pick, and at some point their decision was going to alienate everyone whose characters went against their decisions. It's either that or never mention those characters with any specificity whatsoever, and given Revan's popularity there's no way that was going to happen.
Have you read the Knights of the Old Republic comics? Always referred to as "Revan," always hooded or wearing a helmet. Totally ambiguous. They should have just gone the minimalist route instead of indulging in fanboyish desire to know everything about the character.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
It boggles me that people are so profoundly interested in continuing on their own "personal experience" with a game to the point of barring the enjoyment of even an alternate telling of the same story in another format, by the very same creative people that made the game experience so enjoyable.

I think it must be some sort of narcissism-by-proxy effect with their game Avatars, or something else along those lines. In any case, it's kind of disturbing - think of it this way, there is such an intense association/identification with a game Avatar (or Character in general, because I believe this cross into other media as well), that any other alternate interpretation of this character is not only "not interesting", but to some people, down right abhorrent. It's like the identification is so strong that reinterpretation isn't just a curiosity, but a down right assault on their own self.

I don't know what to say here other than just maybe there might be a little bit too much "escapism" going on in some people's lives (Ironic I know, given the web site name here...). I admit that I have known some people who have gone through phases like this, and it's often been accompanied by deep depression and it's very worrisome how these two things go hand in hand (and how prevalent they are in people who enjoy sci-fi/fantasy genres).

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I've never bought a Star Wars book, but...*sigh*
Ok, I'm doing it. I'm crossing the nerd point of no return.

DarthYam

Dec 9, 2010
originally they were going to do a kotor 3. The company ran into a lot of financial trouble just when the ball got rolling so they had to axe it.

Mr Wednesday

Jan 22, 2008
PrinceofPersia said:
Mr Wednesday said:
Arg, really? I don't want them to finish the Revan story, I want to do it myself!
Wot?

I wasn't implying my measly post would. Revan, like any character from an RPG like Kotor, is very much the player's creation, and when you come in and write cannon fiction you stamp all over that.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
Bioware has made a novel for every one of their releases since Mass Effect, so this really wasn't a surprise. I don't really want a novel. I want a release date.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Male Revan saves the Republic? Nope, not gonna buy this.

Female Revan leads the Sith to conquer the Galaxy. That's a novel for me.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Mr Wednesday said:
PrinceofPersia said:
Mr Wednesday said:
Wot?

I wasn't implying my measly post would. Revan, like any character from an RPG like Kotor, is very much the player's creation, and when you come in and write cannon fiction you stamp all over that.
In an odd way I think that question goes both ways. Why let their book coming out, stop your imagination? Last I checked no one had a cease and desist order on that.

Oro44 said:
Bioware has made a novel for every one of their releases since Mass Effect, so this really wasn't a surprise. I don't really want a novel. I want a release date.
Agreed, I love KOTOR but let Revan's fate be revealed in the game.