New Study Finds Violent Games Do Not Desensitize Players

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Needs a way larger sample size b4 we can jump to any real conclusions here. As much as i like to shove something like this in all the anti-gaming politians faces, the study itself is woefully inadequate to be qualified definitive.
My thoughts aswell, as even though this is a nice finding, it needs a much larger sample size before it can be accepted as a valid peice of evidence in any argument.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
imperialreign said:
I'd like to see some more in-depth studies like this come out of the scientific field . . . it would help to comabt the scapegoatism and witchhunting going on within our media and political realms.

At least this is a start.
There are plenty of studies like this, if people don't like games, they just ignore them.

The UK government commissioned an independent study a year or two ago that came out and said there was no relation, and yet members of the press, and a few in government, still blame them for everything from the theft of some penny sweets, to the summoning of Cthulu.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Maybe it's somewhat coincidental that studies like this always seem to post their methods.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone from Fox post the methods of their studies *shifty eyes* >.>

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
Dexiro said:
Maybe it's somewhat coincidental that studies like this always seem to post their methods.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone from Fox post the methods of their studies *shifty eyes* >.>
This. So much this. Yes, the sample size is fairly small, and it may be difficult to generalise findings, but at least we know the method and sample size in order to make those criticisms. So often it's the case that only the 'results' from studies are printed in newspapers or mentioned on the news, with no way of knowing whether or not the study was inherently flawed

I'd say that therse findings are promising, and the fact that the researchers are looking into other aspects of the area and suggesting other potential studies is reassuring. Hope they find the same things then as well

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Rainboq said:
lostzombies.com said:
Yeah thats bullplop, video games desensitized the shit out of me.
Okay, now try watching someone get seriously injured or worse, see how you feel about it.

I play violent video games all the time, and I still can't watch someone get injured
Yea. I don't think video games are realistic enough to traumatize people. I've never had the violence in a video game make me react the same way I would to a movie like Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List.

I love those games where you can hack off limbs (remember Bloodrayne) but I would never be able to do those things in real life... not without vomiting profusely and probably crying a lot too.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
hansari said:
Keyword here being "some" gaming experience.

The alarmists will claim that desensitization occurs among those who play games very frequently, putting a good 10+ hours every week.
Uh... 10 hours is very frequently? My mom plays 10 hours total a week. My sister plays Sims 3 a LOT more than 10 hours a week. She's married and has a normal job. Not murdering people.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I guess it really depends on who the person is.

I've been desensitized quite a lot by video games and reading other people's posts they haven't. I can look at a good amount of blood and gore in movies (watching the Lawnmower Scene made me feel more like a man somehow) so that's just me.

Mista Miggins

Jul 23, 2010
This is pretty old news. But I guess this is relevant because of the recent "Gaimes ur baaaaad" thing fox news put out.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I'm sick of these studies. First one comes out that says "video games make people violent", then another says "no they don't", then another shoots back and says "video games linked to violent behavior", then another says "there is no link, shut up". I just don't care anymore. It's like every other week, some guy decides that he wants to run the "end all" study to determine what the truth is because he's apparently more credible than the hundreds of other people who came before him combied.

Can we all just agree that the majority of video game users don't go around beating people up and leave it at that?

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
This study alone should completely prove that video games don't affect the minds of young people... But I have a feeling that bigots like Jack Thompson will continue with their crazy jobs of losing court case after court case.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Now what do I blame my socipathic tendencies on?

Society? Yeah, like they're gonna shoulder the blame.

PurpleTartan

Feb 2, 2011
I've been playing Violent Video Games since I was a Kid and I must say Real Life Violence still effects me. I could never do any of things I've done in a game in real life.

Anyone Remember Blood Omen II when Kain punches through Sarafan Guards and drops their hearts on the floor? If I saw that in real life, I'd be puking over the floor or I'd faint. The reason I don't when playing Blood Omen II is because I know Its NOT REAL. It's just a game.

PurpleTartan

Feb 2, 2011
gigastrike said:
I'm sick of these studies. First one comes out that says "video games make people violent", then another says "no they don't", then another shoots back and says "video games linked to violent behavior", then another says "there is no link, shut up". I just don't care anymore. It's like every other week, some guy decides that he wants to run the "end all" study to determine what the truth is because he's apparently more credible than the hundreds of other people who came before him combied.

Can we all just agree that the majority of video game users don't go around beating people up and leave it at that?
You have a Good point there My friend.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
gigastrike said:

I've noticed this, too. Some studies say yes, other say no. But each time one comes out, we act like it's the first time research has been done on the subject. I think if the game makers/players and those who have something against video games would just start an open dialog between each other, they could actually make some headway to solving their differences. It's more an issue of miscommunications and misconceptions than anything else--along with the media's exploitation of all this, using stories and studies like this to keep video games nice and juicy as a topic.

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
gigastrike said:

I read a study once which said that people still produces the same amount of dopamine when around their loved ones no matter how long they've been around them. The conclusion of this study was that love doesn't diminish over time. I have read other studies which say that people produce the same amount of seratonin around the person they love for 3 years and then the amount of seratonin afterwards completely goes. I believe the latter study over the former considering what the study acually measures. Dopamine and seratonin are incredibly different neurotransmitters. Dopamine makes people happy and seratonin makes them more friendly and more prone to starting social relationships. People produce seratonin when they have an orgasm which is why people sometimes fall in love with the person they promiscuously have sex with. Dopamine is effectively used as a reward for making the relationship that is primarily activated by seratonin.

You need to make up your own mind based on the evidence given and what has been biasedly omitted. The study which exclusively measured dopamine didn't mention how ridiculously rare it is for a sexual relationship to last for 50 years, but they only compared these couples specifically against new couples and didn't mention the dopamine levels of people who had been together for 10 years. I can only imagine that this is because the study was done by American Christians who believe that love can last forever so they made the study as propaganda to support what they believed over contrary evidence. It is actually very common for couples of 10 years to have barely any dopamine left in them.

Consequently, I have made up my mind that you can be with a sexual partner but your feelings for each other should diminish after 3 years and that it can last decades but this is rare and has been shown unpropotianally in the study.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Back and forth and back and forth and back and for--ENOUGH!!! Will someone just say whether or not video games will make us murderers, rapists, and everything in-between? I'm getting sick of all of these "Studies" defending/going against games and what they do to our mind.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
This research tells me nothing new, but i guess it´s nice to see videogames getting credible support from scientific sources.