New Study Finds Violent Games Do Not Desensitize Players

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I don't feel this conclusively proves anything... it's just another small-time study attributed to everyone rather than just their small group involved with the study.

I feel like playing video games has made it easier for me to accept panic situations, like when someone is bleeding out or hurt on the floor, I'm not going to faint or panic because I've played through fake scenarios of worse stuff. Though... come to think of it, I'm just a calm kind of person and it's probably more the number of horror movies I watch with fake gore in them. So, no point really.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Can has more of these please? It seems to be done alright, though it should be done quite a few times with a much larger sample group to be considered in any way valid. Does seem like a step in the right direction, though.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
gigastrike said:
I'm sick of these studies. First one comes out that says "video games make people violent", then another says "no they don't", then another shoots back and says "video games linked to violent behavior", then another says "there is no link, shut up". I just don't care anymore. It's like every other week, some guy decides that he wants to run the "end all" study to determine what the truth is because he's apparently more credible than the hundreds of other people who came before him combied.

Can we all just agree that the majority of video game users don't go around beating people up and leave it at that?
EXACTLY my thoughts. Thanks for posting that. When I read the title I was like "Huh. Again? Guess it's the others' turn now."

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
Yes, seeing someone get their head and spinal column removed in Mortal Kombat when I was 12 did not desensitize me towards seeing gaping wounds in real life. I don't see why this should surprise anyone. Can we move on, already?

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Yeah.
I can kinda attest to that. I most certainly wasn't indifferent when my dad died of a heart attack.
But you won't convince dumb people.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
These studies loose credibility when every other month yet another study makes claims that are diametrically opposed to some previous study.

IMHO all of these "studies" are way too simplistic. Something as complex as the human psyche can not be fathomed with a few simple practices followed by rather constricted interviews.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Yeah! It turns out I won't be a serial killer at thirty... Or a rapist. Or a goddamn accountant (that actually has nothing to do with this thread)

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
What? Really!? Games don't make us soulless monsters?

Does this mean I gotta stop raping people and farm animals now?

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
geekysage said:
so when i go into the woods and jump on all the mushrooms i cant blame mario?
In that case, I'd blame the other mushrooms, the ones you ate before that.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Well took them long enough to realize that huh.

like come did people really think that games! digital entertainment, that has been known to relieve stress levels, cause violence?!

i mean their could of been an easier way to find out, ask a gamer. simple. but no instead of spending money on finding a way to cure cancer they decide as usual to spend it on bullshit research when they could of got first hand resource instead.

i just dont understand the world anymore...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I have to say I disagree from personal experience. Manhunt 1 is is incredibly desensitizing, I noticed initially I was shocked by what I saw and then as it went on I had no emotional reaction to it.

But proper context. Manhunt 1 really pushed that line to the door. I don't think anyone would shocked by something like say Halo.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Man, are these people right. I'm a hardcore gamer and I routinely kill thousands of marines in Starcraft 2, but when I had to dissect a common earthworm past week I felt sorry and almost couldn't do it.

I'm glad studies are being done in this field. The more the better, as we can fill in all the empty puzzlepieces and hopefully stop the stupidity surrounding mature games.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Swerve said:
Astonishing, the ability to distinguish reality from non reality does not turn you into a psychopath!
I know it is like being smart doesn't make you stupid!
Finally some evidence, can we start shutting up the fox celebrity shrinks now?

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
gigastrike said:
I'm sick of these studies. First one comes out that says "video games make people violent", then another says "no they don't", then another shoots back and says "video games linked to violent behavior", then another says "there is no link, shut up". I just don't care anymore. It's like every other week, some guy decides that he wants to run the "end all" study to determine what the truth is because he's apparently more credible than the hundreds of other people who came before him combied.

Can we all just agree that the majority of video game users don't go around beating people up and leave it at that?
Yeah pretty much.

by this point everything that is posted with "Study" and "Violent Videogames" and "makes/makes not violent" has already lost any credibillity to me.