New Terminator: Genisys Trailer Reveals Major Plot Twist

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Some day I hope to be able to glimpse into an alternate universe where Terminator and Highlander films were left the fuck alone.

I would pay 3D ticket prices if they just re-released those films on bigger screens instead of adding more films into the mix.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
So instead of presenting us with a decent plot, which they know they can't, they decide to just plot-twist us into submission.
Which is how we know they have no faith in the film. They're throwing darts at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't get all the negativity. I don't expect a sci fi masterpiece. I know it's a sequel to a sci fi masterpiece, so it will never stand up. I don't mind John Connor being the bad guy, but as the author noted, it would have been much better to be surprised by it. What idiots the marketing department is. But that seems more common these days.

My biggest gripe is the guy playing Kyle Reese needs to leave Hollywood. He is not a good actor in many bad movies.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Casual Shinji said:
So instead of presenting us with a decent plot, which they know they can't, they decide to just plot-twist us into submission.
MC1980 said:
Also, fuck off Jai Courtney.
No, no, we gotta keep pushing him -- people are bound to take a liking to him eventually... Right?
The funny part is he's essentially Sam Worthington 2: Even Worthington-er. Who's blockbuster leading man decline began with Terminator Salvation.

But yeah did anyone ever have high hopes for this movie? I generally hate being too cynical preferring to give movies a chance but come on? an aging Terminator? Getting excited about an installment in a franchise that's about 50% pure shit?
Sam Worthington's been doing much better now he's gone back to smaller roles in his native country. He's actually quite a good actor when he's not trying to force his mouth around an American accent.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I'm scared at this point. Basing one trailer on spilling the big shock plot twists is fine, but two, with unique plot twists in each? I'm afraid the biggest, stupidest most what the fuck plot twist is still in the movie, and it will make heads explode.

This'll be one for he rifftrax books.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
That looks awful, but I don't know what people were expecting from the reboot of movie with three sequels and a TV show.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
I am honestly curious with what this film is doing with the Terminator story, aside from the "WE HAZ 2 STAHP JUHDGMONT DAY HAPPNIN" which hasn't worked in any of the films so far.
The franchise is practically its own metaphor. If only Paramount's own efforts to revisit the past and butcher everything you hold dear were as easy to thwart.

Apr 17, 2009
I think the line "Not man, or machine. Something more." is what annoys me most in that trailer. You're a big ol' killer robot, so you're a machine. Nothing more. Bad enough you gotta be a villain, you can do it without being pretentious about it

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I really do hate trailers in which I watch the whole movie.

Pallindromemordnillap said:
I think the line "Not man, or machine. Something more." is what annoys me most in that trailer. You're a big ol' killer robot, so you're a machine. Nothing more. Bad enough you gotta be a villain, you can do it without being pretentious about it
Sounds like it's a man who has imported himself into machine. So he's not one or the other but both.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Scrythe said:
Some day I hope to be able to glimpse into an alternate universe where Terminator and Highlander films were left the fuck alone.

I would pay 3D ticket prices if they just re-released those films on bigger screens instead of adding more films into the mix.

I'd like to see an alternate universe where Kyle Reese is an Immortal headhunter sent to kill time-traveling Terminators. :p

piscian said:
I'm pretty torn on seeing this. From an action perspective, yeah some of the CGI still looks messy, I'm confused as to why John/terminator looks good yet helicopter fight looks fakey, but I'm very happy with the *smash* *boom* *bam* of it. I'm already fulfilled just by the sheer amount of terminator fighting were gonna get to see. From a plot perspective I'm so not with the direction. Like it or not T3 ended the main story, war was gonna happen going back in time is just a looping paradox. Salvation, while I've settled on just being terribly directed, was the start of the pre-sequel trilogy we wanted. This just feels like a rehash of T2 trying to be bigger and bolder. They've confirmed its a trilogy but idk they do that with every nerd movie they want to hype. I remain mildly optimistic. This trailer didnt make things better or worse just more confusing for fans.
Lightknight said:
I really do hate trailers in which I watch the whole movie.

Pallindromemordnillap said:
Sounds like it's a man who has imported himself into machine. So he's not one or the other but both.
Agreed. I think John Connor plugged himself up to a machine so he could control some Terminators with his mind. Either that, or he was killed/critically wounded and had his brain/mind transferred to a Terminator body.

Honestly, I'm seeing undercurrents of pretty much everything Terminator related here. The Connorbot looks similar to the T-X. A scene in the trailer looks like Sarah Connor's saying goodbye to a young John Connor (my thoughts there being that maybe they sent John into the future like in the TV series). T-800s and T-1000s galore. The Connorbot reminds me of Worthington's character in Terminator: Salvation.

Plot prediction: Reese is sent back in time to protect Sarah Connor, only to find that she's been protected and trained by a T-800. The timeline wound up altered due to this T-800 being sent further back in time (perhaps to play into an endgame plan by John or some desperate attempt by future John to survive). The time-travel facility (formerly Terminator controlled?) was likely assaulted by Terminators during one of the time-traveling attempts, and John probably wound up cornered at some point, so he uploaded his consciousness into the central computer to try and protect himself by controlling as many Terminators as he could get access to (otherwise, it was part of an endgame plan to stop the war). He probably planned to jump-start the plan by traveling back in time as Connorbot to get this "Genisys" thing going which would lead to humans and Terminators merging into a single unified race, thus thwarting Skynet's attack on the human race. In any event Connorbot thinks this fusion of man and machine is a good idea, Sarah, Ahnoldnator, and Reese don't like the plan, and the whole thing comes down to four Terminators and two humans having a deathmatch.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
MC1980 said:
The stupid title neatly encapsulates my feeling about this whole thing. Y?
"Genisys" is a contraction of "General Identification System". What's wrong with that?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Anyone else like me and just not giving a shit at all about this movie? Seriously I haven't bothered to watch a single trailer, and I doubt I will. I've lost all interest in this franchise. Anyone else?

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I liked T1. I loved T2. T3 was amazing except for the ending.
The Christian Bale Terminator I liked too despite hearing criticisms.
I think the TV series was pretty lame.
I'm probably sure I'll enjoy Genisys despite the mispelled Genesis.

Oh, wait. Geni.sys? It's a pun! :(

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
It looks horrible on all acounts and yet I'm curious.
Might watch it when it ends up for 5 euro's on DVD.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I'm pissed that this trailer came up on my facebook feed, one of the promoted things, and without thinking i watched it. Hopefully they still have some stuff saved for the movie, I might see this on my own if I just want to switch off for a night, but they are making it more and more unlikely.