New ThunderCats Series Coming to Cartoon Network Next Year

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I won't forgive Cartoon Network until they bring back Samurai Jack.

:mad:

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
I've gone back to watch episodes of stuff like Silverhawks, MASK, Bionic Six, and even Jem and the Holograms recently. The verdict: way superior to a lot of stuff that's been released from about 1995 on.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
Pandalisk said:
So...Cartoon network will actually start having Cartoons now?..Whoa...
Ha, I know what you mean.

ThunderCats is executive produced by Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Batman: The Brave and the Bold). Michael Jelenic (Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Wonder Woman) and Ethan Spaulding (Avatar: The Last Airbender) are the producers.
None of those shows are really that bad. Action cartoons of our age are okay - it's the shows of the last decade (2000-2010) which base their humor entirely on zaniness and nonsense that really suck. Shows like this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chowder_(TV_series)] and this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Time_(animated_series)] and this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marvelous_Misadventures_of_Flapjack]. And then there's this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Lazlo] Rocko's Modern Life rip-off and this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grim_Adventures_of_Billy_%26_Mandy] POS that makes me wanna barf. Can a brotha get a holla up in here?
Agreed, at least they're putting a clear effort in not making it terrible (let's see if it comes to something before we make any more judgements).

As for those cartoons that you cited, I think the problem is more related to the fact that we view those shows that ruled the 90's (Rocko's, Angry Beavers, Pinky and the Brain, and, with a little latitude, Invader Zim) in a way similar to pretty much anything we view from our childhood/the '90s: un-believeably rose-tinted. The current crop's biggest problem is a realization that cartoons essentially passed their zenith in the late-90s and have spent the last few years trying to replicate that success.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
This reminds me, did they ever find out what happened to that one writer of Thundercats who disappeared with that bloody van nearby?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Never understood the appeal for Thundercats beyond the awesome intro, still makes me laugh.

At the same time, I think it would be better for a lot of these cartoons from the 80's to be brought back in TV format rather than get their own film or something. Theres more nostalgia to be had if you pad things out and make a decent effort to revive the show, rather than trying to contain it poorly into a movie.

TV show a step in the right direction, even if I may never watch it

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Man, there's been a lot of articles as of late about the Thundercats, it was only a few weeks ago that I was reading the James Lipton, the Inside The Actors' Studio guy, wrote the lyrics to the theme song.

vansau said:
The ThunderCats brand has been seeing a gradual resurgence in popularity every since it was rebroadcast on Cartoon Network, with DC Comics running a series of comic books under its Wildstorm imprint that have generally been well-received.
I thought their resurgence in popularity had to do with several skits involving them on Robot Chicken. Learn something new every day.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
That is a heavy hitting lineup for a production crew. I don't know how to not be excited at this point.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Eliam_Dar said:
Why do they have to ruin my childhood memmories? I doubt it will be at the same level than the original
Complete with "awesome" 80s animation and the "stellar" 80s voice acting? The original Thundercats was fun to watch when we were kids, but I dare you to go back and sit through it again objectively.

5 bucks say your nostalgia goggles shatter themselves. Yeah, I've got fond memories of Thundercats too, but at least I don't delude myself, lol.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Part of me says, "yaaaay, thunder cats is awesome". Another part says "they'll just screw it up. Why can't they try and make original things and only make re-makes/adaptations/sequels to everything".

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Spinwhiz said:
"Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!" I cannot say what I see, for it is too gruesome for any other mortal to view. I shall bear this burden myself.
Mumm-ra in the shower?

toy soldier

Mar 19, 2010
Irridium said:

Anyway, sounds awesome! I managed to catch the show when it was on Toonami (All hail Toonami!). Hopefully they don't muck it up.

Thunder, Thunder, THUNDERCATS!

[HEADING=1]HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/HEADING]
Schnarf

Sep 14, 2009
Tenmar said:
Oh god no...stop making older shows grow up and let them rest in peace and be part of history. I swear this is just like some demented necrophilia we have going on in the entertainment industry. No real risk is being made to be innovative with daring new ideas or concepts.
have you seen some of the new cartoon shows on these days? some of the early 2000's weren't bad, but its had a major downfall, they are fucking horrible. the worst ideas i have ever seen. rehashing the thundercats and hopefully improving it is perfectly fine with me.

Apr 17, 2009
FungiGamer said:
This reminds me, did they ever find out what happened to that one writer of Thundercats who disappeared with that bloody van nearby?
I think the police confirmed the remains they found were his. Which kind of mars the whole "It's coming back!" thing