New Total War

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
SacremPyrobolum said:
gof22 said:
I would like to see a more modern day Total War game. It would be nice to see a medieval III Total War as well.
If they did do that they would have to re-write their formula a lot. The Total War games seem to favor fights with companies of soldiers being the standard unit than using small squads. It would be interesting to see how they manage it.
That is true. It would also be cool to see them do a fantasy setting or steampunk setting Total War game.

Lawbringer

Oct 7, 2009
Well it comes down to a sequel or a new period altogether. Here are my thoughts on both:

Sequels: Honestly I would absolutely love to see a Rome II. Medieval was a favourite of mine, but that's had two games so he can back off for a bit. I've never understood the hate Empire received as I enjoyed the change of pace from swords to guns, but perhaps that's just me. Nevertheless, Napoleon was a pseudo-Empire II, so we don't need to revisit that, yet, either.

New Period: This is going to be more of a wishlist than a specific pick.

Varied and large Geography:
Shogun 2 seemed small after the sprawling lands of Empire (3 theatres) and Medieval II (seeing as America opens up in endgame). It is the fact as well that, unlike Europe, Japan is just this kind of straight line from one end of the map to the other. Sure you can get in a boat and sail and there is a little island on the west side but it is still dull.

Something that involves a blend of cultures works best:
Again with Shogun II here. I did enjoy the game, but variety ended up cutting my total play hours short. Every team was more or less the same, with some minor differences in stats (Shimazu special unit being a badass version of Katana Samurai. And what was it? ...drum roll....SHIMAZU Katana Samurai...yawn...) It might be an easy game to balance the factions, but made it as boring as hell to play more than once.

Does not need to be familiar, only bloodthirsty:
If Shogun has taught us anything it's that we don't need to be spoonfed something we know about in order to find it interesting. (For example the constant Americanising of world folklore for American audiences in Hollywood). I personally think that's kind of an insult to the American viewer, but then I don't commission expensive studies to analyse consumer behaviour. Just give us the chance to field huge armies that butcher each other over 20-40 minute periods and we're happy.

Something unique:
In a way, this counterpoints the previous point. Sure we want bloodlust (That's why we buy a game called Total War) But we also need something that makes it special. Something that makes it so it's not a basic reskin of a previous game with different maps. As long as the period/place allows unique mechanics, then I am sold. (Think Shogun's Ninja assassinations; Medieval's Royal marriages and Papal Decrees; Rome's three families vying for public adoration and political success; and finally Empire's revolution dynamic).
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway. Those are my four main points I wanted to make. As long as it doesn't go further forward in time than Empire (as the RTS element would not really work in that setting) then I can almost guarantee a purchase from me - CA have built a lot of positive karma with me and I am willing to try almost anything with the Total War name behind it, trusting they will do a good job. Something Sid Meier also did before that SHITE that Was Civilization V. But...that's another story...

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
samwd1 said:
Oliver90909 said:
As long as it doesn't go further forward in time than Empire (as the RTS element would not really work in that setting)
well I was thinking a WW1 era would be good to some degree as it still involves cavarly and infantry charges but with a few machine guns thrown in, they would just have to add more fortifications. but anything later than that wouldnt do seen as large aircraft, tanks would be to much of a change for total war.

WHy cant we just have total war ancient era or something? I love the romans, egyptains, greeks, chinese and pretty much a lot of asia, europe and africa during these times so it would be cool if they were all in one game so no nation/group is neglected.
Do you really, really, REALLY want to dig trenches as a part of your total war experience?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I'm hoping it'll go for ancient China. Seeing as how they went for a small scale with Shogun 2 it would make sense.

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
there is a thread like this every other day

but yeah something to do with Ancient China like Irridium said earlier

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
Medieval 3 or rome 2. If they were to do a new property instead, I would love to see more ancient warfare or world war I.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
samwd1 said:
Do you really, really, REALLY want to dig trenches as a part of your total war experience?
you did have the ability in other total war games for pre defences like spikes to prevent cavalry or sandbags to prevent bullets. and the maps could have premade trenches with out maps like grassy plain where the enemy are in plain view.[/quote]

But the war at that front was stuck. The line only moved a few hundred meters at best, people were dying constantly, damn trench foot, at the end they even got to the coastline.
That was not an interesting front....
They should do the middle east, or the orient.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
ancient china, and after that either keep adding numbers or pick a fictional scenario( i could imagine scifi game where you command small spaceships in big units, so space battles that handle more like land battles than those horrible sea battles)

Vandenberg1

May 26, 2011
SacremPyrobolum said:
So I hear that the Creative Ensemble started working on a new game right after they released Shogun II. What Total War would you like them to do next?
One that does NOT runoff steam so I can actually play it. Iwastedalotta life on Medieval. Rome would kick assssss. Go GERMANIA!

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
Everything you want has already been made if you bothered to look:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=386559
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=417435
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
I would love something like Victoria: Total War. Commanding colonies all over the world, or doing battle on the high seas with fleets of ironclads, it would be awesome.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I'd like to see anything as long as there's a focus on cavalry, large melee battles, and a royal family. I've been waiting anxiously for the All Under Heaven even though all signs point to it never being finished, so a game set in Asia right before the Mongols invade China would be awesome.

gof22 said:
I would like to see a more modern day Total War game. It would be nice to see a medieval III Total War as well.
No. No you don't. The TW controls couldn't handle all the stuff modern war is about. Tanks and infantry, maybe, but air forces and carriers would be right out. Plus the battlefield would have to be so big your computer would probably crash. The range of artillery built past 1900 is ludicrous compared to what CA is used to making.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I'd love to see one that combines different time periods. Rome, Medieval, Feudal Japan, maybe even early gunpowder armies. Base the stats on accurate test data. Like the samurai katana might be great against unarmored fellows so it would have a high attack, but low anti-armor score since it wouldn't be able to get through knightly plate. Warpicks would have a high AA stat, but suffer against unarmored infantry. Maybe even give a trio of attack and defense stats (slash, blunt, and pierce) to each weapon and armor. While chain mail is great against slashes and thrusts (real riveted mail is, reenactment butted mail is easily pierced), it doesn't do much against blunt force. While a katana maybe have high slashing, it would have average blunt force and below average piercing.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
a WW1 total war could work. Anything more modern than that would be problematic to keep in the style of total war.