New Trailer For Rise Of The Tomb Raider May Cause Chills

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Well I didn't need any more reason to hate Microsoft after Windows 8 and the XBone launch fiasco, but the new Tomb Raider being an XBone exclusive just so they can say a giant "fuck you" to everyone who didn't buy one has given me such a reason anyway.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Still that horrible voice actress, ey? *tsk tsk tsk*
Subjectivity, and all that, but I thought Luddington was superb in the reboot. And she wasn't just a voice actress, either, I recall she did a fair bit of the capture performance on the stage. I love this new Lara (and I was playing TR when the original came out [on the PS1]), and part of the reason I think she was so well realised was that it wasn't just script + voice actor = character. Luddington was a big part of her movement, body language, as well as voice.

Redryhno said:
Or...you're more of a fanboy and are thus blinded to the overall bad nature of the reboot. The game itself was fun, just the story was way too focused on for what it was.
Perhaps you worded that oddly, but how can a story be "too focused"? That's usually not why game stories get flak. Or do you mean it shouldn't have had such a focus on story/character narrative?

What constitutes afanboy, btw? Am I one, and does that also thus make my perspective, seemingly, meaningless? I think the reboot was one of the best games of last gen (certainly one of my most enjoyed), but I see it had its flaws (no puzzles, no real tombs, predictable story which made the game characters seem peculiarly slow witted, a little too much combat, etc).

As for Rise Of The Machines Dark Knight What The Fuck's Wrong With These Reboot Titles--- er, that new Tomb Raider game: I adored the reboot, and still have an urge to replay the thing, but I'm worried where they might take the series after such a strong [and focused... ] start. The whole 'a survivor is born' angle has been covered, but what now? You can't craft another survival narrative which can have any real impact, because she's supposed to be past that. So do we just have a fairly dull Lara, now? No character narrative, but a 'better' game to play?

I'll probably/definitely buy it at some point, but I'm fairly skeptical about whether they can improve or not from the previous game. So funnily enough, my hopes aren't high at all. I was very surprised how good and polished the reboot was, and when that happens devs usually change something which pisses me off... One thing I do want, however, is far more of a challenge; TR was so easy you had to avoid perks and weapon upgrades to make it interesting.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Exclusive to the Xbone, eh? That's a shame, I really liked the reboot. I guess I won't ever be playing this, then.

*shrug*

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I was wondering where the chills would be until I saw "Xbox exclusive" (timed) at the end. Sure, enough, shudder.

What's going to be good for the Tomb Raider series? Launching it on a console that only has a quarter of the console market share instead of the one with over 50% now. And Ubisoft wonders why these don't sell as well as they'd like...

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Redryhno said:
Or...you're more of a fanboy and are thus blinded to the overall bad nature of the reboot. The game itself was fun, just the story was way too focused on for what it was.
Perhaps you worded that oddly, but how can a story be "too focused"? That's usually not why game stories get flak. Or do you mean it shouldn't have had such a focus on story/character narrative?

What constitutes afanboy, btw? Am I one, and does that also thus make my perspective, seemingly, meaningless? I think the reboot was one of the best games of last gen (certainly one of my most enjoyed), but I see it had its flaws (no puzzles, no real tombs, predictable story which made the game characters seem peculiarly slow witted, a little too much combat, etc).

As for Rise Of The Machines Dark Knight What The Fuck's Wrong With These Reboot Titles--- er, that new Tomb Raider game: I adored the reboot, and still have an urge to replay the thing, but I'm worried where they might take the series after such a strong [and focused... ] start. The whole 'a survivor is born' angle has been covered, but what now? You can't craft another survival narrative which can have any real impact, because she's supposed to be past that. So do we just have a fairly dull Lara, now? No character narrative, but a 'better' game to play?

I'll probably/definitely buy it at some point, but I'm fairly skeptical about whether they can improve or not from the previous game. So funnily enough, my hopes aren't high at all. I was very surprised how good and polished the reboot was, and when that happens devs usually change something which pisses me off... One thing I do want, however, is far more of a challenge; TR was so easy you had to avoid perks and weapon upgrades to make it interesting.
I put in the "ON" right after "focused" for a reason after all. The story was ok(basic B-movie plot honestly, enjoyable enough, but overdone and too much backpatting by the writers I think for what it was), but they spent too much time showing it to you. Too many cutscenes and collecting, not enough learning about the island itself or exploration. I know that the other TR are pretty damn linear, but this one FELT linear as all hell.

But if the last trailer they put up sometimes last year is any indication to go by, it's still gonna be about the survivor narrative, incredibly boring, except she's now in therapy or something in addition to doing what she did on the island in other places. Personally I'm hoping there's alot less gunplay, and alot more environmental puzzles. Something like the rope arrow business, but more thought out. Maybe even an actual stealth system, because the reboot's was a joke, GoW's feels extensive and amazing by comparison.

I will say that I enjoyed it however, it's just the parts I enjoyed were not the majority of the game. The guns didn't feel really any different, I swear I watched enemies respawning in the middle of a fight constantly, and the QTE's were there too much(though I will say I enjoyed some of the running from destruction QTE's) and unskippable death scenes...god those unskippable death scenes, so damn annoying past the first time you see them(sometimes even the first one, they're not that interesting.)