New Vegas Help

googleit6

May 12, 2010
*Spoiler Warning: Just in case, if you don't want even minor spoilers of New Vegas, tread carefully.

This is not a thread ripping on New Vegas. I do not know if what I am encountering is a bug, or an actual element of gameplay, and I would like to know if I need to suck it up, or there is something actually wrong with my game. (And I mean more than the usual bugging out, if it is a bug.)

I am playing as a girl, with Boone and Rex as companions. I have a pretty high karma level, and am villified by Caesar's Legion, and working with the NCR.

The problem is, I need to go visit Caesar to continue with the main quest, which is getting the Platinum Chip back. However, even if I am wearing Legion armour, I am attacked once I am inside the actual fort. (Sometimes, I am not attacked until I'm actually in Caesar's tent.) For example, I made it into the first part of the Fort from Cottonwood Cove. Once I entered the inner part, though, where Caesar's tent is, I will make my way there, with everyone showing up as allies, and then without me doing anything, they will become enemies and attack me.

For anyone who has played New Vegas, you will probably know that Caesar sends a messenger to you early in the game, telling you to come visit him, promising your protection. Of course, I was wary, and when I finally got around to visiting him, (wearing Legion armour) I was attacked on the way to his tent. I pushed my way through, though, and finally ended up talking to him, with about ten guards waiting to kill me the moment our conversation ended. In the conversation itself, Caesar told me that my protection was guarenteed, and gave me the Platinum Chip, telling me to go into the bunker and destroy whatever was in there. I'm going to assume that's what everyone has to do.

But I can't possibly continue this quest with the whole Legion at the fort attacking me. Sometimes I get killed before I can even exit the tent.

So my question is this: Am I screwed? Or has anyone else experianced similar problems to this? Or, is this just part of the game, and I need to fight my way through the Fort, even if I am supposed to be helping Caesar at the same time?

An important note would be that the game tends to lag a lot when I am around the Fort, and oftentimes, if I try to talk to one of those slaves on the cross, I won't be able to, and then afterwards switching from 3rd to 1st person gets completly screwed up. I usually end up stuck in 1st person view for a good while before I go into another area.

If anyone actually read this, thank you so much for reading until the end. Hopefully you guys have some input for me.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
This sounds like a glitch; I had a similar type on another quest, though not as key as this one. I don't know how you could fix this save for modding it through the console if you're on a PC

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Dogs can see through your disguises. Yes, you're screwed, same thing happened to me. I just did sidequests.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Its probably Boones fault, if he killed any of the Legion near bye. You should ditch them for know, that might work.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I ran into a similar problem just earlier today. Guard dogs can see through your disguise and if you kill them, everyone else turns. The way I got around it was by murdering everyone and then taking the Chip of Ceaser's corpse. This doesn't seem to have affected the story line so far as I am currently at the climax of the game and it's progressing smoothly; Ceaser's horde and all. Just kill them all and you'll be fine. It's basically just a a design flaw that hits people who don't answer Ceaser's call sooner and end up Vilified.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
If you're vilified, you're going to get attacked no matter what. Just gear up and kill everyone who gets in your way at the camp. A bunch of us have done that anyway just because we wanted to. I wish I hadn't killed Caesar though. I kind of wanted all the leaders had been there for the final battle.

googleit6

May 12, 2010
Chech said:
I ran into a similar problem just earlier today. Guard dogs can see through your disguise and if you kill them, everyone else turns. The way I got around it was by murdering everyone and then taking the Chip of Ceaser's corpse. This doesn't seem to have affected the story line so far as I am currently at the climax of the game and it's progressing smoothly; Ceaser's horde and all. Just kill them all and you'll be fine. It's basically just a a design flaw that hits people who don't answer Ceaser's call sooner and end up Vilified.
You mind if I ask how you killed them all? Maybe I just have really awful weapons, but it seems to take a whole lot just to take out one guy, especially with armour on. I'm also a level 22, so that may have to do with something...

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Assassinate the dogs with a silenced pistol (holdout weapon), stay to the shadows. Stealthboys and sneak perks will help. If you have enough stealthboys try getting in with them, talking to Caesar and staying invisible the whole time as you go to the bunker.

Otherwise ignore them until you have enough combat skill to bring death to the camp. Do it from the entrance and save Caesar for last.

Worst case scenario, if the NCR likes you enough for you to get away with a few murders you might get the Legion to like you enough to let you in. All you need to do is be less then vilified.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
Its probably Boones fault, if he killed any of the Legion near bye. You should ditch them for know, that might work.
You beat me to it.. This is your problem, Boone clearly tells you he will kill any legion on sight, he isn't the lying type either.

googleit6

May 12, 2010
Snowalker said:
NeedAUserName said:
You beat me to it.. This is your problem, Boone clearly tells you he will kill any legion on sight, he isn't the lying type either.
Okay, I'll try telling Boone to go to the Lucky 38. (Though he isn't even wearing his beret. For some strange reason, he won't put it back on.) Thank you!

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
If you have Boone as an "active" companion (meaning they are either following you directly or you ordered them to wait) the Legion is hostile to you regardless of your personal faction alignment. It should be noted that they will only attack Boone if you have at least a neutral standing with them even though they will show up as hostile. If Boone kills the legion members himself, you will be awarded experience but will not have your standing penalized.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
googleit6 said:
Chech said:
You mind if I ask how you killed them all? Maybe I just have really awful weapons, but it seems to take a whole lot just to take out one guy, especially with armour on. I'm also a level 22, so that may have to do with something...
I was level 25, Anti Material Rifle, Boone and ED-E. I did have to drop the difficulty from Normal to Easy though but I could see no other solution.

Mar 9, 2010
If you're working with NCR then you're going to need to continue with their quests (For the Republic) rather than going with Yes Man's (Wild Card), Mr House's (The House always Wins) or Caesar's (Render Unto Caesar).

Alternatively, if you are going to go with Yes Man or Mr House, then you need to kill all of them and loot the chip from Caesar's corpse.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I had this happen too. I used stealthboy and made a run for it. 20 of my stimpacks disappeared on the way.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
yea do not wear faction armor for one, where you get your legion armor oh i killed some of your guys and put it on, now if your wearing faction armor in the camp your trying to infiltrate the camp and the ai guards think you are a threat. leave boon outside also boone is highly aggro towards legion and will start shooting the place up he even is supposed to warn you before you get to the boat to the place that taking him is not a good idea less you are going to kill the entire place, i could not even get boone near the boat wo him shooting the boat guy or the boat guy shooting him.

faction armor has special properties period wearing legion armor in a ncr base will get you killed, wearing ncr armor in a base will probably get you killed since you are infiltrating the base wearing armor that does not "belong" to you.

put on a neutral armor, when you get to the camp they will ask to disarm you, if you got high enough sneak you can get some piddily hold out weapons, you need armor piercing ammo for legions and ncr and foes that wear armor period, else it will take you 100 rounds to drop a person with hollow point ammo and probably slightly less using normal ammo.

if you are going to slaughter the camp probably best to level up and get good weapons and armor and raise your skills get some defensive perks like life giver, stonewall, etc. legion use very powerful power fists that will mess you up. fill up on armor piercing ammo cause the upper tier legion troops have very high dr and normal ammo, hollow will take way too long to drop them.

also might consider the disarm thing to start with talk to ceaser, then you get your stuff back to goto the bunker and then choose to kill them all since you are 2 or 3 on 4 or 5 and can pick off people form the bunker back to ceasers tent, but again leave boone behind less you are going to start shooting soon as you reach the place, getting to talk with ceaser just once is pretty entertainng tho the guy is a real delightful human being worth the price of admission. then it makes it that much better to kill him.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Snowalker said:
NeedAUserName said:
The only way i can describe Boone is 'Super Serious Marine Man'

XzarTheMad

Oct 10, 2008
I experienced the same thing. My solution? Kill everyone in the fort, including Caesar, take the chip, do your thing in the bunker, ???, profit.

I didn't have Boone, by the way. I was being followed by Arcade and ED-E.