New X-Com Shooter Coming From BioShock 2 Studio

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
IMO X-com just doesn't really... I don't know. I just can't see making it an FPS as like even worth bothering to do.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
[HEADING=1]NO![/HEADING]
This is the equivalent of saying:
"We decided that Chess needed a re-imagining, so we decided to put you in the role of a Bishop and allow you to move diagonally in a ultra-modern perspective that we have dubbed, First-Person. We think it's going to revolutionize the way people play games."
Why do modern developers try to can everything onto the same shelf? Why can't we have a modern, turn-based, NON-FPS strategy game? I loved X-Com and never thought "Wow, this would make a great First-Person game!"

This makes my heart flutter in the medical sense... as in from a state of emotional stress.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I agree with the position that it would not work well as a shooter. The whole point of the series was squad-based, tactical combat.

What's more I believe they already tried turning the franchise into an action game a couple of times with "Interceptor" and "Enforcer" and arguably I think that is what killed the franchise.

X-com mostly worked because it was an intellectual/strategic exercise as opposed to just "let's shoot the invading aliens!" which had been done millions of times before.

An X-com shooter is basically heading into the same basic territory as Halo and Gears Of War and honestly I can't see it doing the same thing better.

Claims of keeping it's strategic roots are a joke, because once you make something a shooter (ie things are resolved by your twitch reflexs) pretty much all meaningful strategy in the combat goes out the door since it's no longer about your mind, but how quick your fingers move.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
This is pretty shitty news, if I do say so myself.

No, it doesn't look promising. It looks like an FPS developer bastardizing one of the best tactical game series of all time. The game they are making is likely to have only token amounts of tactical or strategic choices, annd will likely be Bioshock reskinned.

Bioshock games were OK-ish as far as gameplay went and were only made noteworthy by their story and setting. The actual games were nothing special. Why is this relevant? Because I doubt 2K has the competence to make a tactical FPS game without it sucking. It likely CAN be done, but not by them.

The end result will either be:
1. A plain FPS.
2. A plain FPS with shallow attempts at tactics.
3. A shitty tactical FPS.

I understand that FPS games are the current dominant genre, but does everything have to be turned into an FPS?

Also, if they just wanted to do a game about aliens, why not make their own IP? Is there a single reason beyond cashing in on nostalgia that this game has to be called X-COM when it likely has nothing to do with the series?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
I'm not convinced that an FPS game will suit X-Com.

When my plan comes to fruition and I am installed as Beloved Leader Of the World, there will be a new X-Com game that is similar to Valkyria Chronicles.

nintendoeats

Jan 27, 2010
I've been waiting for somebody to do an Xcom sequel for years, because in case you hadn't noticed TBS games are the new adventure games: With one or two exceptions this once thriving genre is now completely non-existent.

So feth you 2K.

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
expand the rich lore of this revered franchise
But that's stupid. What game were they playing? The "lore" in XCom was forgettable, it was all about gameplay

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
This is odd news. On one hand, it's good to hear Xcom will be coming back. On the other hand, as an FPS?

I would have much preferred it as a strategy game or perhaps as a 3rd person team based strategy oriented shooter.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
swytchblayd said:
Meeeeh.... Didn't really quite like the first Bioshock (too close to what System Shock 1/2 was like I thought, and not really even half as fun in my opinion), though I haven't played the second one yet, but now I have to look up XCom to see what it's about >.>

Could be interesting, could be crap.
Just as long as Bethesda keeps it's grubby little bug-ridden hands off another great series *curses them for making Fallout such a faulty mess*
I didn't really like what they did with Bioshock either - its one of the few 'great games' I've never bothered completing, or even getting too far along it.

But seriously, Fallout 3 was fine and good.

As for this... I'm cautious - I don't know how they'll make an FPS out of a squad based management/tactics game. And given how much fail was in X-Com Enforcer, I'm not certain at all they can ever combine.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Other people have already covered the Fallout 3 thing so I'll just echo those comments: Despite the caterwauling from the offended minority who refuse to let go of 1997, Fallout 3 rocked the house. I'd be absolutely thrilled if XCom is that good.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Well I saw this coming from a mile away, just seemed to be the likely outcome of whatever their "secret unannounced shooter" was. As to people doubting if this can be done, an X-Com shooter was in the works back in the heydey of the series (called X-Com Alliance), so it's not an entirely unheard of concept.

Only thing I didn't see coming was I thought 2K Boston would be doing this.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
teh_gunslinger said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Andy Chalk said:
And for the record: My heart is aflutter.
Mine too [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5379-Review-X-Com-Revival-Package], let's hope they do it justice.
I really really wish I could say the same, but I am still hurting after Enforcer. So while I'll look forward to seeing what it ends up with I'll be a pessimist about it. I couldn't stand to be disappointed with something as awesome as X-com.
Exactly. The only thing Enforcer had in common with the original games, was that ihad some kind of aliens in them, and that was it. And now that someone has finally decided to make another x-com game, it will be a shooter.

Honestly, i often thougt about setting a X-com in a firstperson shooter kind of game, were you play from the perspective of one of your troops on the same kind of missions as in the original games, and when he/she dies, you gain control of another one instead. But this honestly looks like it's going to be a time typical generic shooter, where the main character is earths only hope og salvation, or something.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Why are they doing this...? Can't we just have a straight up remake? The last time [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/xcomenforcer?q=x-com%20enforcer] they tried making an FPS in the X-COM universe, it didn't go so well...

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Why are they doing this...? Can't we just have a straight up remake? The last time [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/xcomenforcer?q=x-com%20enforcer] they tried making an FPS in the X-COM universe, it didn't go so well...
Yeah I guess it didn't go so well seeing as how Enforcer was a third-person action game. Whoops.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Yeah I guess it didn't go so well seeing as how Enforcer was a third-person action game. Whoops.
Details, details... third-person, first-person - makes very little difference in my view. You still run around shooting things. The only difference is whether or not you can see your own ass while you're doing it.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Scypemonk said:
teh_gunslinger said:
I really really wish I could say the same, but I am still hurting after Enforcer. So while I'll look forward to seeing what it ends up with I'll be a pessimist about it. I couldn't stand to be disappointed with something as awesome as X-com.
Exactly. The only thing Enforcer had in common with the original games, was that ihad some kind of aliens in them, and that was it. And now that someone has finally decided to make another x-com game, it will be a shooter.

Honestly, i often thougt about setting a X-com in a firstperson shooter kind of game, were you play from the perspective of one of your troops on the same kind of missions as in the original games, and when he/she dies, you gain control of another one instead. But this honestly looks like it's going to be a time typical generic shooter, where the main character is earths only hope og salvation, or something.
The game you describe is spot on the kind of game I want if it absolutely has to be a FPS game. And it also reminds of all the fun I had with Space Hulk 1 and 2 on the Amiga and later PC back when I was young.

And I may be way wrong here but I seem to recall that Microprose or whoever it was attempted to do something along those lines years ago. I think the proposed title was Alliance. That kinda went nowhere.

SenisterDenister

Mar 19, 2010
Repent! The End is extremely fucking nigh!

First they ruin Command & Conquer, then Fallout, now they ruin X-Com; great job gaming industry, don't stop raping my favorite childhood franchises.

Neuromaster

Mar 4, 2009
I guess a modern turn-based tactics game would have been too much to ask for. Whole genres have died and I want them back.

Also for some reason without the hyphen I keep reading the new name as XCorn. I really need new glasses.