New X-Com Shooter Coming From BioShock 2 Studio

Crosshead

Aug 24, 2009
Repeating this from a duplicate thread...

The base simulation, resource management, UFO interception, research system and everything else not directly related to combat can be left exactly as it is in the original X-Com. It works fine. Upgrade the graphics and you're good.
Then do the battle sequences as small squad based combat. You can model that off a number of different games, "Republic Commando" being the first I can think of, and somebody mentioned "Space hulk". On maps featuring a mixture of random generation and pre-made ships. Swapping between your troopers as you go. Upgrading your armour mission by mission, till you're flying around in power armour with a guided missile launcher and psychic powers. Are you really telling me that doesn't sound fun? Taking on Chrysalids in first person?

I agree that that it will not be the classic X-Com games (1 & 2), but they haven't gone anywhere. I've got both on my laptop. This thread makes it sound like a lot of people just want the old games with a graphical facelift and some more features. I'm not bothered about this. If I want to play the classics I still can.

I loved Fallout 3, and I heard a lot of people moaning about it betraying it's roots. I think this might be the same. It won't please the hardcore fans, but the rest of us might get a good game.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
You guys sure are doing a lot of pissing and moaning for a game that was just announced yesterday. If you're that firmly trapped in the early 90s, get DOSBox and have at it. Expecting the rest of the world to come to a screeching halt at some arbitrary point chosen by you is just silly.

Especially since the game was just announced yesterday.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
But of a histrionic reaction to a bloke who just isn't that excited about new FPS announcements don't you think. There are other games out there without even resorting to Dosbox. Maybe I would rather follow Elemental, Frozen Synapse or Civ 5 instead.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
You guys sure are doing a lot of pissing and moaning for a game that was just announced yesterday. If you're that firmly trapped in the early 90s, get DOSBox and have at it. Expecting the rest of the world to come to a screeching halt at some arbitrary point chosen by you is just silly.

Especially since the game was just announced yesterday.
You might have a point, but imagining this as a good xcom game is really hard. I guess it can be done, but if it was, they'd not have used the wording they used. In the statement it is in my eyes quite clear this'll just be an FPS, maybe with RPG elements. No tactical squad based combat, no research, no base building. That might leave random generation of maps and destructable environments as good xcom points, but that's hardly enough.

No I have to agree with the whiners, this just sounds like a kick in the nuts for all gamers over 25 or so.

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
This could work... If they made it as a tactical shooter, e.g. H&D2.
[small]Please dear god make this work!
If it won't I will be mad AND YOU WON'T LIKE ME MAD!!
Or sumthin...[/small]

ManiacEskimo

Mar 31, 2009
Awesome, yet another new game announcement which fails to peak any sort of interest, because the market doesn't have enough bland FPS games.

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
Could be interesting, I'm a big fan of the old X-Com series. Still though, there's more than a small possibility that they'll absolutely kill it, due to the "cheese" factor that the original X-Com games had, of course, in the 2D era, this was fine, but with modern day graphics?

Oh yeah, for anyone who's looking for a nice remake of the original X-Com game, check this out:
http://ufo.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/
It's pretty damn close to the original, I've been playing it a lot recently. A little advice though, don't buy the gold version off of steam, get the original if you can, and mod it yourself with bmans mod.

RedShift

Dec 5, 2009
Mmmmm, X-Com. I loved it when I played it years ago, one of the few games I remember from the computerize part of my youth (The other game being 'Out of this World').

tidomann

Jul 15, 2009
Pity, I just replayed the old X-com and, Terror of the deep lately. I'll keep an eye on the FPS, but I don't have high expectations at this point.

We'll see if the devs are able to amp this up properly.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
This will be balls. I'm going to play some JA2 or Silent Storm or something. *mutter muter no respect mutter mutter*