Newell: Valve to Replace Single-Player With "Single-Player Plus"

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
am i the only one who does get a heart attack in excitement every time coop or some social connecting thing for singleplayer is announced?
playing games in single player is like reading a book, i prefer to do it alone to preserve the experience. Plus i was never a coop guy, i prefer to shoot people in the face or act as part of team but just teaming up with one of my buddies never appealed to me, it's either me on my own or with a bunch of friends.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
What if I enjoy playing games completely alone? Nowadays everything has to be connected to one another...you have to be available for others all the time. It is exhausting, to be frank. Let me enjoy my games in peace and quiet if I wish to.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
As long as they make games that I can enjoy BY MYSELF, as in NOT require other dipshits to play with me, I see no problem with this.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
You're ALL missing the point. All thats really been announced is Co-Op all around and more social aspects if you WANT them. There not forcing Co-Op or Facebook on any of socially lacking amongst us. Stop being so paranoid seriously.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Christ, the forums really have been easily angered recently.

I find it hard to believe Valve's new feature will make it mandatory to talk to your friends while playing a game. If you don't like the feature, I see no reason why you can't just ignore it.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I'd tend to disagree with how they're seeing it - whilst I can see where they're coming from, what with all games made by them being distributed by Steam which has its own Community features (IM, profiles, whatnot), I personally don't use them much when i'm playing a single-player game. Immersion is pretty important for me, I don't necessarily want to be talking to someone whilst i'm playing a good immersive single-player game- for things like TF2, then go ahead.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
More multiplayer bullshit.

I feel like a relic nowadays.
Me too.
When I'm immersed in a single-player game, interacting with people is the last thing on my mind.
OhJohnNo said:
I find it hard to believe Valve's new feature will make it mandatory to talk to your friends while playing a game. If you don't like the feature, I see no reason why you can't just ignore it.
Curious idea :)

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I despise playing single player campaigns when others are around or with chat available, it completely kills immersion for me unless I tune them out, and in that case I may as well play it alone.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
As long as you can ignore it I'm cool. There's nothing wrong with adding more options, as long as Facebook-less people like me don't have to bother with it all. I just want my solitary singleplayer experience thank you very much. No need for all the social mumbojumbo, I'll get that with my clan in proper multiplayer games.
Kevlar Eater said:

Have you even read the article? It's about social connectivity. Judging by their description you have to think about auto-uploading some kind of blog post thing to your Facebook account, intergrating screenshots, chat functions and achievements with social media. Maybe insta-join co-op modes, but that's stretching the meaning of this article.

danhere said:
The only problem here is that they will then be a game developer, a digital distributor, and a significantly large social network. Good for them, but bad for competition.
Then again, they're not stopping other people from trying to do it better.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
As long as it's all optional, I don't really care. Annoying my facebook friends with constant updates on my progress in a single player game does not sound like fun.

KFalcon

May 5, 2011
Bloodstain said:
What if I enjoy playing games completely alone? Nowadays everything has to be connected to one another...you have to be available for others all the time. It is exhausting, to be frank. Let me enjoy my games in peace and quiet if I wish to.
Levethian said:
Kevlar Eater said:

Me too.
When I'm immersed in a single-player game, interacting with people is the last thing on my mind.
I agree. I don't get why everything has to be connected to a social network, just let me play SP games alone if i want to.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Every gamer is instant messaging
eeyup, IM a lot to :p

every gamer has a Facebook account.
bull, fucking, shit. not only do i not have a failbook account, i'm never gonna :D

but meh to this i say, i like my single player games thank you very much

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
This really makes that scream Vader makes at the end of Revenge of the Sith quite appropriate (in my head any ways)

Dec 14, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
My GOD people... what the hell?

He said, pretty clearly, there will be "SINGLE-PLAYER"... not multi-player or Co-op, but SINGLE PLAYER!

What I believe he meant was further exploiting the steam interface so that it allow you to Integrate games and the social platform they provide. This is distinct from the current setup in that its not just a glorified DRM with bonus game cataloguing and friends list.

Things like Time trial ladders in Single player, or achievement hunts... and of course, extra Co-op and competitive features.

The single player will be there, standing on its own legs, supporting its own weight... but will have a fully integrate social system that you can choose to embrace or ignore.

Jesus... say boo on this forum and people think you killed all their most loved relatives.
I'm in agreement. Its just them giving people the option to integrate the social aspects of their lives with, what is usually cosidered, the more non-social aspects, not mandatory multiplayer. The entire community always pulls this shit when ever Valve tries something new to please their fans, be it including customizable apparel or making ANY game other than a Half-life sequel.