Newton Residents Vote to Tear Down Sandy Hook Elementary, Rebuild for $50 Million

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Ha, taxes for the rich would skyrocket, and yes government control would too, I'd buy industry and have it government controlled. Everyone would be equals, paid similar wages and things would be free because taxes would pay for it, no matter if you work or not. Until I got assassinated by some dickhead who would pervert the system and make it a dictatorship.
Marx my words.
Agayek said:
The existing parties would hate you for the bolded bits at least. If you manage to seize enough power for them though, they may well forgive you for it, especially if it involves pouring money into projects that really don't need it but you want to rack up the debt anyway.
I'd cut back on Americas military to save America from debt, I'd make wall street pay back what they did to the economy as well. I'd be such a good leader.
You are going to get your ass shot, evil smurf. But hey, at least if you are assassinated that puts you in a very exclusive presidential club and you will be famous :)

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Ryotknife said:
Evil Smurf said:
Ha, taxes for the rich would skyrocket, and yes government control would too, I'd buy industry and have it government controlled. Everyone would be equals, paid similar wages and things would be free because taxes would pay for it, no matter if you work or not. Until I got assassinated by some dickhead who would pervert the system and make it a dictatorship.
Marx my words.
Agayek said:
The existing parties would hate you for the bolded bits at least. If you manage to seize enough power for them though, they may well forgive you for it, especially if it involves pouring money into projects that really don't need it but you want to rack up the debt anyway.
I'd cut back on Americas military to save America from debt, I'd make wall street pay back what they did to the economy as well. I'd be such a good leader.
You are going to get your ass shot, evil smurf. But hey, at least if you are assassinated that puts you in a very exclusive presidential club and you will be famous :)
I don't mind dying, dying for a cause? Even better!

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
Unless the old buildings actually sucked, either from severe wear and tear of age or really poorly designed in general, this is dumb.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
chiggerwood said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Adam Jensen said:
Classic American way of avoiding real issues. The entire country is immature. They think like 12 year olds. It's not gonna solve anything. It's not gonna fix anything. It's just going to cost more.
Absolutely. I wish they did something about the gun thing instead. But then people get so defensive about their right to own them.
Actually I'd say it's less of a gun issue and more of a mental health care system issue. The mental health care system is what failed. He was supposed to be going to a mental hospital two days after the day of the shooting, but he went off before they could have him in treatment. My question isn't about the availability of guns, but why if it was deemed necessary to put him in a mental hospital did they wait so long. I am mentally ill myself (Bipolar disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and as a mentally ill individual I find myself horrified of this country. What if I break? Will I be able to get the help I need before I take the Hemingway express out of this life? unfortunately the answer is: Probably not. We need to stop focusing on guns and start focusing on the completely broken mental health care system in the U.S. That's where the solution lies.
I'm more unnerved by guns than by Generalized Anxiety Disorder, whatever that is, to be honest. Anxiety I can deal with.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
What I find immature is blaming an inanimate object for murders: cars kill more people a year than guns do and there is no talk of banning those.

The underlying problem is in the lack of mental health treatment for people with no insurance: this will not be a problem after January as all insurance will be forced to cover mental health treatments and nearly everyone will have insurance.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
this is amazing, it's a perfect horror movie setup, just never tell the children and at some point start haunting the school and when some spunky ten year olds try to investigate their parents will be all cryptic about what happened to the school

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
It's a waste of money but at the same time, a whole class of little kids were slaughtered.

The sentimental side of me agrees with taring it down and building a new one.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Adam Jensen said:
Classic American way of avoiding real issues. The entire country is immature. They think like 12 year olds. It's not gonna solve anything. It's not gonna fix anything. It's just going to cost more.
Absolutely. I wish they did something about the gun thing instead. But then people get so defensive about their right to own them.
Boston Marathon Bombing happened with Pressure cookers.

I don't see any of you calling for a ban on Pressure Cookers.

Ever see Jurassic Park? LIFE FINDS A WAY.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I graduated from Columbine. They tore down the library (where most of the dying happened) and built a new one, but they didn't raze the school. Many of my teachers were there that day, still teaching in the school despite what happened. And they weren't crazy or constantly breaking down.

You know why? Because the thought was that if they did, the shooters would win. And you know what? They would get what they had wanted. I don't see how this is any different.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
such a dumb decision. first of all, building it in the same spot doesnt make any sense. youd think they would choose a new location.

also, in several years, every kid who went to that school will all have moved on to middle school. i think they should just convert that first grade classroom into a storage room or something, that way no kid will ever need to go in there.

its bad enough that mass murderers are made famous by the media, so it only gives them more power if we start spending millions of dollars in tax payer money in reaction to what theyve done.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
It's a waste of money but at the same time, a whole class of little kids were slaughtered.

The sentimental side of me agrees with taring it down and building a new one.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Adam Jensen said:
Boston Marathon Bombing happened with Pressure cookers.

I don't see any of you calling for a ban on Pressure Cookers.

Ever see Jurassic Park? LIFE FINDS A WAY.
Well aren't you quite the satirist. No man, guns cause more deaths than fucking pressure cookers, for about 500 years now. That's kind of what they're built for. Why don't we tackle murder tools first before moving to kitchen appliances, yes? If this is about people's rights to be bored and shoot stuff, I'm sure they can get toy guns.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
They shouldn't rebuild on the same spot as it will offend the ghosts of the dead.... Hey it doesn't sound any more crazy that what they are doing.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Oh goodie, people arguing about gun laws again. I wonder if this won't end like every other gun related subject...

Guns are only half the problem; the country's mental health care is awful. The system is more like a revolving door than actual help.

To answer OP, no, tearing down the school will not get rid of the memories of the massacre; it's called therapy and moving on. Building a new school with an exorbitant price tag is wasteful and could be partially used to renovate the old school and then used on any other projects that need the money.

Vale

May 1, 2013
IT HAS BEEN TAINTED WITH PRIMORDIAL EVVEHL! YEH DAMN FOOLS WILL ONLY BRING DOOOOOOM UPON YOUR HEADS IF YOU LET CHILDRIN IN THAR!
DOOM I SAY!
Seems a bit silly if the school wasn't in a shitty condition.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
schrodinger said:
Oh goodie, people bitching about gun laws again. I wonder if this won't end like every other gun related subject.
No, Erin, not bitching, arguing. Here's another part of the problem: dismissiveness.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
schrodinger said:
Oh goodie, people bitching about gun laws again. I wonder if this won't end like every other gun related subject.
No, Erin, not bitching, arguing. Here's another part of the problem: dismissiveness.
If you're saying I'm being dismissive about gun control issues, i'm not. I know how gun control arguments go down on this forum, and they often get nasty. I'm merely state what can eventually happen, nothing more and nothing less.
I can't change anything about about guns, or the people who handle them. This type of issue is a long and slippery road that neither side is willing to budge. I advocate for strict gun safety and better mental health care, and that's as far as I am willing to get into this matter.

edit: I will retract 'bitching' from my op.

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
I live in CT, mere miles away from Newton. I didn't realize people were so against the idea of rebuilding a school, that now students are traumatized to go back to it. I mean, if my sister or my friend was shot at my school I would never go back to school there, it would be too painful. It's expensive yes, but I think it's probably the only way some of those kids would ever set foot in there again. I think it's part of the healing process. After something that crazy happens, I really can't see kids going back into that building, nor seeing it renovated for future use.

Shame that people are calling it irrational. Wasteful, perhaps, but not irrational or crazy. It wasn't like congress (which is clearly made of crazies, though that's another story entirely) made the decision, the residents of the town voted for it.

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
soren7550 said:
http://news.yahoo.com/newtown-votes-demolish-sandy-hook-school-155625493.html

New students likely won't know what happened there to make the town want to tear the place down, unless told and/or they see a big memorial there. So what's the point? Remodel if you must, but tearing down the place and putting up something new won't change things.
That's why everybody forgot about Columbine, right?

I don't think anybody's trying to change anything. I think it's about the children, who are traumatized from exposed to a horrific incident. Nobody wants to come back to the classroom and think "that's where my sister was shot".

No amount of remodeling is going to make anybody want to go back into that school. And it's expensive, yes. I'm sure there's been countless donations and charity drives that are going to help balance the expenses out a bit.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Robot Number V said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I wish they did something about the gun thing instead. But then people get so defensive about their right to own them.
Do you guys REALLY think there are no Americans who support gun control? Because then this will blow your goddamn mind: I'm American, and I support gun control. Frankly, I don't think anyone should own anything bigger then a pistol, and even that should be fucking hard to get.

I mean, I'll be the first to admit that my country is ruled over ,and largely populated, by ignorant, stubborn, borderline-insane cunts. But please, don't insult me by grouping me in with them just because I had the misfortune of being born here, and because I don't have the money or means to leave. I mean...It's kind a big place, guys. There are a lot of people. We absolutely do not just agree on fucking everything. I can't believe I even have to EXPLAIN this.
Well I'm nonplussed. All I said was that people get pretty defensive on the subject, and here you are, getting pretty defensive on the subject.

Yeah, I...think you should read my post again. I wasn't being defensive about my "right to own guns". I support gun control, and I am not remotely defensive about my right to own a gun. If the 2nd Amendment was revoked tomorrow, I wouldn't give a shit.

No, what I was being defensive about was you and the other guy deciding that, simply because I'm from America, I MUST believe that guns are my "God-Given right as a 'MURICAN!" I don't like it when people assume things about me that aren't true. So yes, I got defensive.

Look, the primary message you should be taking away is this:

I AM AMERICAN AND I SUPPORT GUN CONTROL. FURTHERMORE, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT DOES.[footnote]Caps lock for emphasis, not to denote any sort of emotion.[/footnote]

I can't make it any clearer then that. Look, as far as guns go, I'm actually trying to agree with you. Please try and understand that.