Nexon: The $60 Model Has to Change

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
GeneralFungi said:
Das Boot said:
This guy is an idiot. You cant apply mmo pricing structures to non mmo games. Besides that unless you are 12 or dont have a job $60 is not a lot of money to be dropping on a game. If you are 12 or dont have a job then you dont have any right to be complaining about game prices.
I think you are forgetting the demographic of people who need to support families, and that's just one example. Just because you have a job, it does not mean you can easily dish out 60$ every time a game you want releases. Gaming is EXPENSIVE.

60$ for a lot of people isn't chump change, and just because a few people either make a lot of cash or don't have responsibilities they need to spend cash on, it does not mean that this cash model is working out for everyone. I'm sorry if your idea of what price is acceptable is different from a lot of other people. Some people have other things that they need to spend money on, like clothing themselves, groceries, electricity..

Either you don't have these expenses, or your just rich. And in that case, I envy you.
It is still one of the cheapest forms of commercial-free media by far on an hourly basis.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
llamastorm.games said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm reasonably certain kingdoms of Amalur is currently on sale on origin.
No idea if that's true, but I don't use Origin so it wouldn't matter anyway.
yay!!! :D i get to drop knoledge

fun fact, Amalur dose not require Origin, in fact EA is not even mentioned on the PC release page on steam, so i assume its the same for the box

Title: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?
Genre: Action, RPG
Developer: Big Huge Games , 38 Studios
Publisher: 38 Studios
Release Date: Feb 7, 2012
Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish

this was copied form the steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/app/102500/ in case your require further proofs

EA is only handling it for the consoles, that's all

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Baldr said:
F2P games severely lack quality and usually end up cost more to have nearly the same experience as a full or subscription based game.
>.> wow, on a roll for posts on this thread ..... BUT .... i feel the need to correct ... again ...

this would be Vindictus (and me playing it)

this would be DFO (not me playing)

though ^^;; admitedly, you right about MOST F2P games just being the same as full sub games, but that's changing, and far more rapidly then the pay 2 players are

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
I prefer "60 bucks model" and standalone 30-35 bucks expansion packs.

More content than DLC, campaigns have somewhat "episodic" feel and can be produced by "sister developers".

15 euro for cosmetic items is a complete rip off.

Nouw said:
Free-to-play isn't the future, pay-to-win is ;).
This.

The only thing Nexon has any credibility in is in creating overpowered items and sell them for months, then nerf them in favor for new OP items.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
I probably just misunderstood the idea here but I don't see how gaming companies like Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony could go free to play. I mean, all systems can download items so they could go along those lines but I really don't see this happening anytime soon.

Though I guess I also can't count anything out either.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Nexon usually like to charge the hell out of cosmetic items along with storage expansion for your characters.

I think that if you bought all Storage expansions it came down to 100$ or so. Ludicrous to be honest.

Magnicon

Nov 25, 2011
Pointless drivel. There is room for all models. $60 for a 10 hour game is fine if its a great game. The real problem these days is that more often then not, the game isn't anywhere remotely close to great.

The ONLY thing anyone in the gaming industry should be concerned with is making the highest quality entertainment they can. If they do this, they will make more then enough money. Although thats kind of redundant considering how much the gaming industry is worth at this point.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Huh. I played a Nexon shooter game. It was infested with cheaters and gave paying players a gigantic advantage.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
You misunderstand, I knew it was on Steam and that it didn't require Origin. I was referring to that even if it was on sale through Origin it was a moot point because I don't use Origin.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Lunar Templar said:
You misunderstand, I knew it was on Steam and that it didn't require Origin. I was referring to that even if it was on sale through Origin it was a moot point because I don't use Origin.
ah, ignore me then :)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I wish I could get a quality 40 hour experience for $60 in a Nexon game.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Imagine and Elder Scrolls game with a free to play model.
Did you vomit in your mouth a little, too? Now, if they were saying down with the $60 game + DLC separately, then yes. But getting an unwinnable game that you have to infinitely grind to do anything while everyone else is light years ahead of you because they dished out real cash, then that's bullshit. Pay 2 Win is NOT the future.
Now, if only DLC could be free...
Edit:
GeneralFungi said:
Das Boot said:
This guy is an idiot. You cant apply mmo pricing structures to non mmo games. Besides that unless you are 12 or dont have a job $60 is not a lot of money to be dropping on a game. If you are 12 or dont have a job then you dont have any right to be complaining about game prices.
I think you are forgetting the demographic of people who need to support families, and that's just one example. Just because you have a job, it does not mean you can easily dish out 60$ every time a game you want releases. Gaming is EXPENSIVE.

60$ for a lot of people isn't chump change, and just because a few people either make a lot of cash or don't have responsibilities they need to spend cash on, it does not mean that this cash model is working out for everyone. I'm sorry if your idea of what price is acceptable is different from a lot of other people. Some people have other things that they need to spend money on, like clothing themselves, groceries, electricity..

Either you don't have these expenses, or your just rich. And in that case, I envy you.
Bargain bins (which are not used), sales (especially on digital platforms) and the oldest in the book: waiting for the price to drop. Just play what you have for a while and wait to get COD # when its price drops... or just keep playing previous COD # until nobody plays it anymore... which takes a while, if your on PC. Can still hop on to COD4 and find a good match.... not a full one, but its there.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"If your mind is just set on keeping the current model of buy a game for $60, play for 40 hours, buy another game for $60, play for 40 hours, that model I think is eventually going to change," Kim continued."

A $60 game that you can play for 40 hours?!
With the current -mega crap- 4-8 hours average on single player I'd call that a GREAT game.
And also an exception, unfortunately... This guy must be huffin' paint, so who cares what else this biased madman has to say? :O