Next-Gen CPUs Will Likely Require Windows 10

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Next-Gen CPUs Will Likely Require Windows 10

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/882/882435.png
Microsoft is doubtful that next-generation CPUs will run on Windows 7.

Microsoft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/windows%2010?os=%20windows%2010] discussing Windows 10's compatibility with Intel's sixth-gen Skylake CPUs, suggests that it will be next to impossible to get the chips working on Windows 7.

"Windows 7 was designed nearly 10 years ago before any x86/x64 SOCs existed. For Windows 7 to run on any modern silicon, device drivers and firmware need to emulate Windows 7's expectations for interrupt processing, bus support, and power states-which is challenging for WiFi, graphics, security, and more," wrote Windows and Devices Group Executive Vice President Terry Myerson.

"As partners make customizations to legacy device drivers, services, and firmware settings, customers are likely to see regressions with Windows 7 ongoing servicing."

For those of you worried that Microsoft will straight-up drop support for the OS, Myerson assures us that Windows 7 will be supported for "security, reliability, and compatibility" on previous-generation CPUs until January 14, 2020. You just probably won't be able to upgrade to the shiniest newest stuff. As an example, he said that Intel's upcoming Kirby Lake, Qualcomm's 8996, and AMD's Bristol Ridge will only support Windows 10.

Source: PC Gamer [https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
They're being really vague about what "support" means here too. Most likely, it'll continue to work, but they won't provide any formal support, such as graphics drivers (which could definitely be an issue if you're using integrated graphics) etc.

P.S. Thanks

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Covarr said:
They're being really vague about what "support" means here too. Most likely, it'll continue to work, but they won't provide any formal support, such as graphics drivers (which could definitely be an issue if you're using integrated graphics) etc.

P.S. Thanks
What this guy said. "Emulating Windows 7's expectations for interrupt processing, bus support, and power states" likely won't happen, but if you fail to uphold 7's "expectations", then what? Probably just a loss of minor features and some functionality.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
I feel Microsoft is increasing their use of scare tactics to forcibly encourage people to accept the windows 10 update they installed last week when we weren't looking. If they simply mean you need software that makes use of the newest fanciest hardware, that has been the case forever.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
drkchmst said:
I feel Microsoft is increasing their use of scare tactics to forcibly encourage people to accept the windows 10 update they installed last week when we weren't looking.
"We do worry when people are running an operating system that's 10 years old that the next printer they buy isn?t going to work well, or they buy a new game, they buy Fallout 4, a very popular game, and it doesn't work on a bunch of older machines. And so, as we are pushing our ISV [Independent Software Vendor] and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems."

This was a quote from Chris Capossela, Microsoft's chief of marketing. Not technology, not research- marketing. Microsoft isn't even trying to disguise their desperation to get everyone on Win10. I wonder how hard they leaned on these manufacturers to get them to dump support for anything previous?

Mr.Savage

Apr 18, 2013
Absolute. Bollocks.

It'll all most likely work just fine with Windows 7, as that's still the largest market. And the thought that these new CPU's won't also support Linux in any way is laughable.

Microsoft is extremely nervous that people aren't making the plunge into Windows 10 all at once like they wanted. I've seen article after article from various tech sites such as PC Gamer, praising Windows 10 to no end! This being one example.

Windows 10 offers NOTHING to users except DirectX 12 being exclusive. But even that is pointless, with Vulkan being widely accepted by the entire industry. Even flippin' Nintento has signed on with Vulkan!

This is all a ploy to get you used to the idea that switching to Windows 10 is an inevitability. But it isn't. Windows 7 will continue to work fine until 2020, after which your best bet will be switching to Linux, which is already gaining HUGE ground when it comes to gaming. In fact, a third of all games released on steam now are Linux compatible, which is simply astounding considering there were 0 just a couple years ago.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well duh, this is Microsoft we're talking about. They've been pulling the whole "planned obsolescence" con since Windows 3.1.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Mr.Savage said:
This is all a ploy to get you used to the idea that switching to Windows 10 is an inevitability. But it isn't. Windows 7 will continue to work fine until 2020, after which your best bet will be switching to Linux, which is already gaining HUGE ground when it comes to gaming. In fact, a third of all games released on steam now are Linux compatible, which is simply astounding considering there were 0 just a couple years ago.
Indeed. I use 2D and 3D painting and animation software that only works on Windows but getting Photoshop and Corel Painter to run on Wine is supposedly easier than ever with minimal performance impact and 3DS Max 2014 will probably be far outstripped by Blender 3D by then. Maya already runs on Fedora so the transition to Linux should be painless, except for ZBrush. I hope they get that working on Linux.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Not entirely unexpected. Microsoft has been making it clear that they want the entire Windows ecosystem under a single version rather than having to deal with the very fractured nature of Windows right now, where a version from 15 years ago still holds about 10% market share! The fact that Windows 7 is even receiving support this long after release is quite amazing. Apple and most of the major Linux distros (or at least Ubuntu and its derivatives) would have stopped caring a long time ago.

snintendog

Apr 7, 2014
MysticSlayer said:
Not entirely unexpected. Microsoft has been making it clear that they want the entire Windows ecosystem under a single version rather than having to deal with the very fractured nature of Windows right now, where a version from 15 years ago still holds about 10% market share! The fact that Windows 7 is even receiving support this long after release is quite amazing. Apple and most of the major Linux distros (or at least Ubuntu and its derivatives) would have stopped caring a long time ago.
A couple problems with that when you upgrade windows to a newer version there is NO guarantee for compatibility where as Linux keeps all compatibility from earlier versions with little problems somehow. And the less we talk about the process of updating Windows AT ALL the better(How is it that a clean install is easier than upgrading baffles me). Linux Distro Upgrade process, Click Software update-> would you like to install x.xx->yes->wait(Less than hour)->restart and done.
Price Linux(Free-20$) OSX(20$-New expensive Mac) Windows (200-500$ Full version can upgrade computers motherboard, 100-170 OEM AKA per motherboard version).
As for support can't blame you there Linux tends to support a LTS of 5 years and the in between 6 months-1 year depends on the maker for the distro and OSX is dropped once a new one comes out.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
snintendog said:
MysticSlayer said:
A couple problems with that when you upgrade windows to a newer version there is NO guarantee for compatibility where as Linux keeps all compatibility from earlier versions with little problems somehow.
No, it doesn't. Heck, from my experience (and the experience of almost everyone I know), hardware compatibility can't even be fully maintained from update-to-update, let alone from version-to-version. Even the Ubuntu community largely agrees that less experienced users should stay away from short-term releases and wait some time (I think at least 8-10 months) after an LTS release to give the more experienced users time to find and fix hardware compatibility issues (among numerous other bugs).

And sure, normally stuff works, but I know I've personally experienced far more problems with hardware incompatibility on Linux than I have on Windows, and I've used Windows far longer than Linux. And given the experience of most people I know who dual boot (i.e. don't use a VM), the same can be said of all but the most experienced users. Even then, I'd imagine the most experienced users are just less phased by problems and can fix them quicker, not that they don't run into them.

And the less we talk about the process of updating Windows AT ALL the better(How is it that a clean install is easier than upgrading baffles me). Linux Distro Upgrade process, Click Software update-> would you like to install x.xx->yes->wait(Less than hour)->restart and done.
Clean installs are seen as superior on every system. Even in Linux it is advised to always back up data and do a clean install with each upgrade.

Price Linux(Free-20$) OSX(20$-New expensive Mac) Windows (200-500$ Full version can upgrade computers motherboard, 100-170 OEM AKA per motherboard version).
Fair enough, but at least right now the upgrade to Windows 10 is free for Windows 7 users, and at least Microsoft is informing us of this stuff before that free upgrade period is over rather than after. If they had waited until the free upgrade offer was over, then I can understand the outrage. Even I would be outraged at such an anti-consumer practice, and I'm already on Windows 10! But under the current circumstance, at least consumers are being informed about the next four years (when Windows 7 officially loses support) so that they can make an informed decision about whether or not they'll wait until 2020 or take the free upgrade.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Misleading and taken out of context.

Of course new CPUs will work on old Windows OSs (all the way back to 3.1)
But the new features are something that won't be "supported"

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Last time I had this feeling in my gut all the L.I.M.B. clinics gave out bogus biochips. Why do I feel like as soon as enough people switch to 10 M$ is going to pull some kind of devious rug woven from sinister schemes and nasty plots?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
However, those of you holding out may not be able to do so for much longer, as a recent article from Microsoft [https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/] discussing Windows 10's compatibility with Intel's sixth-gen Skylake CPUs, suggests that it will be next to impossible to get the chips working on Windows 7.
Then why does the article you source guarantee Skylake compatibility until 2017?

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Ah, sure, Microsoft. I'll totally switch over to your completely not suspect OS. I mean, it's not like it tries to share my wifi passwords with people- OH WAIT.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have a good gaming rig and i keep win 7 on it for as long as possible. i have switched off updates just to make sure its not preventing me from using my stuff and also for giving me the option to update win to 10. i have read enough topics about people complaining about some games not working on win 10 so i stay far away from it.
however, i do have win 10 on my laptop since win 8 is just a disaster and so far no complaints. works faster too.

but this compatible talk here is just a forced scare marketing scheme to lure people to get the latest version. not falling for that.
hell, even lots of companies still use XP. only some use win 7. so i think this isnt going to change anyones mind soon.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Alleged_Alec said:
Ah, sure, Microsoft. I'll totally switch over to your completely not suspect OS. I mean, it's not like it tries to share my wifi passwords with people- OH WAIT.
[Citation needed.]

(And no, the pic with the damn HL2 metrocop doesnt count!)

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
BeerTent said:
Alleged_Alec said:
[Citation needed.]

(And no, the pic with the damn HL2 metrocop doesnt count!)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/wi-fi-sense-faq