Next Gen, is anyone really done with their current consoles?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I have a backlog of PS3 and Xbox 360 games (well not specifically since they're almost all multiplatform) games that I want to get into and plan on grabbing since I haven't had a chance to play them yet. I'm also really worried about the X720 and, PS4's features and functionality so I'd rather watch those to see what they're like before I spend money on them. Why spend $500+ on new consoles after all when I can spend half of that to catch up on Gears of War 3, Lollipop Chainsaw, No More Heroes and 2, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored, X-Com: Enemy Unknown, Metal Gear 4, Uncharted 1 - 3...etc etc...

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
PissOffRoth said:
Buckle down everyone, the second great gaming collapse is coming.
If so it'll be exactly like the last crash, which was not a total crash but instead only for consoles as homecomputing went through a major boom period, especially for the UK industry where all the longstanding UK names like Eidos, Bullfrog and Codemasters were born from the bedroom coders making games for the Spectrum and C64.

TBH given how stale AAAs are nowadays I can't say I wouldn't welcome another repeat of the mid 80s given just how creative that time period was.

Another similarity is that both now and then were in the deep grip of a economic recession.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
As someone who got a PC 2 years ago i've been done with this gen since then. Once you go 1080+ 60fps, massive draw distances and actual high res textures/AA/better shadows/lighting it is painful how bad consoles look. I still enjoy playing consoles its just kind of frustrating, knowing how good something can look.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
Maevine said:
Unless Sony decides to make the PS4 backwards-compatible, I'm completely disinterested in the next-gen consoles. Instead, I think I'll spend the next few years working on my Wii collection, what with used Wii games being phenominally cheap and all.
It's not really a decision they can make. The PS4 will more than likely not use Cell, which would make backwards-compatibility unfeasible.

OT: Bring on the new consoles. God knows we need them.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
PeterMerkin69 said:
I'm ready for the PS4 myself. The current generation console graphics are looking really dated compared to the stuff I play on my decrepit PC and I'd welcome the increased processing power for new physics/AI.

I know I could just throw another PC together and hook it to my television but the huge cases clash with the decor in my living room and besides, there's nowhere near enough privacy in there. Nah, I'll take a console.
M-ITX form factor. These are not huge, and the cases have enough variety that I'm sure you can find something you like. Any HTPC case from silverstone will look perfectly at home next to an amplifier from the last.15.years.

I have been ready for consoles to move on for a couple of years. Having less RAM than a phone to work with is holding back all gaming. Except PC exclusives and phone games I guess.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm not ready for it, simply because I can't afford to buy a new console, and I have only just replaced my old PS3 which can't read disks any longer. I don't want to have five different consoles all at once just because they have no backwards compatibility, and I feel really guilty if I see any games that I haven't played for a long time.

I won't be changing over any time soon.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Well knowing Japan they'll keep creating their games for the PS3 for a few years now so I'm good to keep going for awhile.
My backlog's still pretty huge too... I should probably get onto that.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Hell the N64 is still my console of choice. I saw the Xbox 1 as a waste of money and didn't buy any console after that.

I might have got a 360 if it had proper, full backwards compatibility, but it didn't... so I didn't. Just migrated to PC after that.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
This generation has pretty much hit the ceiling. There's really only so much you can squeeze out of the systems and while it looks a-fucking-mazing sometimes, the ceiling is still there and they just don't have the power to break it.

This has been an excellent run and the longest generation we've ever had. I am giddy with excitement to see what they will be pumping out with the next-gen.
This and my 'console' being my PC mean I can't wait for the next gen, if only to see what devs can do with all that extra power.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Shinsei-J said:
Well knowing Japan they'll keep creating their games for the PS3 for a few years now so I'm good to keep going for awhile.
My backlog's still pretty huge too... I should probably get onto that.
There's a very good chance that we will see a repeat of the 8bit / 16bit cycle where the same games were ported to both gens.

That period took ages for the majority of gamers to fully move from 8bit to 16bit.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I just want backwards compatibility with the PS4. With all these new blockbuster games coming out this year it would be stupid to not include it in at least some form or another. Failing that I guess I will have to shell out for a new PS3 seeing how my current one is making noises now and death cant be too far behind lol

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I, for one, can't wait and see how shiny we're going to make the next series of turds.

Hardware is becoming pretty meaningless to me.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I've been playing on a 360 lately, and while the graphics are good enough, I can not stand the load times. I clocked how long it took me to load into the Erridium Blight in Borderlands 2 from my PC's desktop, and it was shorter than most games can boot to the main menu on the 360. I can't imagine how much time all the console players are wasting just waiting to play their levels.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Not while Bioshock Infinite, Gears Of War: Judgment, The Last Of Us, Watch Dogs, etc. are all coming out on current consoles.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I didn't even purchase a "current gen" console. The last one I bought was a Playstation 2 that eventually crapped out on me after about 3 years of service.

I've always been a PC gamer to avoid this type of thing and because I love modding far too much.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I'm definitely not. I feel like the PS3 still has a ton of untapped penitential.

And I'll never be satisfied with the console until they release a certain game from a certain excellent franchise.

Ya know, Persona 5.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]...and Kingdom Hearts III. Get on dat shit, Square.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The Wii I'm sick of, so I'm alright with the move to Wii U, the rest is fine as it is I reckon. The best experiences I've had are all in old games so hardware means fuck all to me really.