Next Super Smash Bros. Gets a New Developer

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
I'm optimistic because the Tales series could very well be my favorite RPG series.
I trust Namco to not derp it up.

Sean0925

Nov 8, 2010
We can only hope it turns out well. Brawl was hyped hugely before it came out and while it was still fun it just didn't feel as good as it should have been. To be honest one thing I hope they improve on is the online because I feel they really missed out on that last time because Brawls online is terrible.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
My only concern is that they will keep the random tripping from Brawl. That was the only really annoying thing.

Considering the online capabilities of the WiiU and 3DS, the starting balance isn't THAT important. They can patch it later. That means not that I wouldn't like the game to be balanced from the start. Just saying it's not a huge problem as it was on the Wii. And while I'm on the topic of the improve online capabilities of the 2 consoles... the new SSB should finally have a proper online experience. I loved the SSBB online playing, but having to wait for over 5 minutes when the game came out to play... well, that's was not really promising. Now I can't even play against random player because their is no one, or when someone joins, they aren't patient enough to wait for other 2 player.

Also, Namco Bandai has a great record for fighting games. Their games are either masterly balanced, or extremely funny and addictive. And everything in between. Maybe they have some bad fighting games, but I don't know of any.

And considering the fact that the creator and his team are also working on it... I'm full of optimism. SSB is a system selling game. So as long as they don't make it really awful, the game will sell faster than beer on the October Fest.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Does this mean we will get Pokémon vs Digimon? Agumon vs Pikachu?

Calumon: And I can come in for his final smash and make him stronger? :D

Jack: I WANT TO BUY THIS!
Pshhh, no one like Digimon. Yeah I said it.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Does this mean we will get Pokémon vs Digimon? Agumon vs Pikachu?

Calumon: And I can come in for his final smash and make him stronger? :D

Jack: I WANT TO BUY THIS!
Pshhh, no one like Digimon. Yeah I said it.
I like Digimon... Am I... Am I no one?

Calumon: Just like you around girls-URK

Jack: ONE DAY WITHOUT SNIDE COMMENTS!

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Hmmm... This was certainly unexpected...

I remain cautiously optimistic.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Oh fuck off. Namco Bandai US is one of the worst companies right up there with EA and Capcom.

Watch as the DLC for Lloyd won't come over cause they're gonna throw a hissy fit over it being a Tales character, which Namdai hates.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
I just hope they don't bring in anyone from Dark Souls.
That has nothing to do with Namco Bandai that's From Software. Namco Bandai doesn't own From Software they just work with them.

OT: This confuses me a bit but hey I enjoyed all of the other ones so I'll keep an eye on it.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Oh sweet a new Smash Bro- Oh fuck its going to be for the Wii U isn't it. Fuck it never mind I'd rather just shoot myself in the leg than spend money on that.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
A team that is very experienced making fighting games working along with the guys that made the original games.
Daystar Clarion said:
It should be fine, I mean, Namco know their fighting games.
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
At least the developer has a good track record.
This is the same developer that brought us SoulCalibur 3: Memory Card Eater, and SoulCalibur 4: Really Boring Edition with the lamest character "creation" tool ever, right? Here's hoping they only bring guys in from the Tekken side of the company. Or *maybe* Digimon Rumble Arena.

P.S. Thanks

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Oh for... When I read they were changing the developer I almost yelled "YES! No more Sakurai!" but it was not to be... I hope he gets his shit in gear for this installment, because I don't know a SINGLE PERSON that liked the tripping mechanic. And while I respect his decision to make the game as uncompetitive as possible (though I'd prefer if he at least considered that demographic...) I hope he will at least try to keep the characters moderately balanced (so as not to have another Meta Knight incident).

*sigh*

Oh well...

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
The way I see it, with two experienced teams, one with fighting game experience, and one with smash bros experience, they can't go wrong here.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I'm going to be very cautious with this one. If they don't muck around too much with the Smash Bros. formula, it should be fine. We may even see some more third-party characters. The problem with third-party characters is that they have to fit the setting; Smash Bros. is a humorous and quirky series. Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia? I think he'd fit right in. Nightmare from Soulcalibur? Not so much.

Still, I think I'm being a bit paranoid here. Chances are it's going to be fine. Sakurai is still supervising things, and I'd doubt he'd let Namco do anything too drastic. Hell, Namco may even make the game better, especially in terms of balance. We don't want another Meta Knight, now do we? I just hope that there's no more tripping...

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
The funny thing is that if there was 3rd Party Characters in the game, Namco-Bandai might be ENTITLED to having at least 1 or more character of their own since they mostly made it....high chances probably being something like Pac-Man....

....The bad side of things is if they pick a Tales character....which isn't bad, but chances are it'll be a character that has only been from the latest game in the series...in Japan, or they'll make the game so rare that you'd have to buy it Online.

But keep out Gundam though...they've been associated with their Anime than other forms of media, they would stand out too much...even when standing to the naturally Sci-Fi Samus, Star Fox or even Pokemon or Mario, just feel that including Gundam may change it from a classic mascot fighter into some sort of advertisement.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
There's that awkward tension where I want to buy a few of the nintendo exclusives but don't want to own the console. I must learn from the Wii, in the long term it doesn't pay off to me! D:

....must, be.... strong.

Captcha: good riddance - you're right captcha!

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
Um, Ninty? Remember what happened the last time you handed one of your beloved. most popular franchises to an outside developer?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Who was it that made Super Smash Bros. Brawl? And why exactly are they not being allowed to make the next one? Because, personally, I thought it was amazing.