Next TF2 Update is More Than a Fancy Hat Party

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Next TF2 Update is More Than a Fancy Hat Party

The next update for Team Fortress 2 is going to include some major new content, including item trading and a new game mode.

Valve sure seems to love creating updates for <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Xbox-360/dp/B000R0PLK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281600652&sr=8-1>Team Fortress 2. Now that extra content has been released for each of the game's nine character classes, the developer has revealed that the next upgrade for the shooter is going to be pretty massive. The list of new content includes "around twenty new weapons and hats," item trading, and a completely new game mode.

Speaking to TF2 creator Robin Walker, PC Gamer got some exclusive details about the incoming update. As <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102119-The-Next-TF2-Update-Isnt-Just-From-Valve>detailed last month, the new weapons and hats are from the Polycount Contest. Meanwhile, players will have the option to swap items - like the <a href=http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Pyro's_beanie>Pyro's Beanie for the <a href=http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Safe'n'Sound>Safe'n'Sound - with their friends.

The items from the Polycount Contest are different from normal community-designed items in the game, as such content tends to be largely cosmetic. However, Walker explained why these hats and weapons will be different from other community content.

"It's a reflection of the amount of time we had to spend on them and us being very safe," he explained. "I think the Crit-a-Cola was designed the day before it went out, to be honest, which is terrifying. But sometimes we can think of something that you can make a pretty educated guess on, yeah, this is going to work out. We definitely have lowballed [those items] in the past, in that we've chosen something that's more underpowered than overpowered, because we can just make it a little better later. The Polycount items have had a lot more time on them as a whole, so, we're doing more interesting stuff there than in general we have with the other items."

Of course, the biggest piece of the update is the new game mode. Unfortunately, Walker wouldn't say anything other than to confirm its existence. "We'll probably start talking about that stuff once we've figured out how to talk about it," he said.

According to Valve, the update is due out in roughly a month. PC Gamer's interview with Walker, as well as a lot more information about Valve's upcoming plans, will be published in the September 1st issue of the magazine.

Source: PC Gamer (thanks to Sir Kemper for the tip)

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Hmmm...interesting. But unlike other people, I never get items or hats, so I don't really care too much. However a new game mode sounds fun.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Valve: "...Roughly a month."

What they said: "Sometime around mid-September."

What they mean: "Sometime around Q3 of 2012."

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
One month Valve time, which roughly translates to never.

Also HATZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I'm kind of indifferent to this update, but if Meet the Medic or Meet the Pyro were to come out alongside it, my opinion would no doubt change.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Item trading! Finally! A new game mode, you say? Interesting. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
More hats to add to the worlds best War Themed Hat Simulator! I linked this to the tf2 group about 22 hours before Sir Kemper found and posted it, but never thought to send it to one of you guys. :p

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
So, no Xbox 360 update on the horizon then?

*Moving forward to news I care about* New gamemode? Awesome! and itemtrading? Which the fans have demanded for more than a year? Valve, you are too kind![footnote]Anyone wants a hatless Sniper for a Soldier drill saergent hat?[/footnote]

Bobipine

Jan 22, 2010
More ten a Fancy Hat Party you say? We all know it will come down to that again, or so the people will keep blabbering about soon after, though many inevitable complaints about the new weapons and mode will at least delay the hats, so it is more then hats I agree. More seriously, it is quite intriguing, I wonder if the new game mode will be reworked version of current modes, like payload race is to payload, King of the hill to arena; or will they implement a brand new concept, like payload was, maybe some boss things (like the many idle maps have) or a hunted mode, who knows other then them? And for item trading, I can give my friends the weapons they lack so they might play again! apparently there is also an unannounced polycount winner, I have some suspicions, but they are most likely wrong.Hi.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
AkJay said:
Valve: "...Roughly a month."

What they said: "Sometime around mid-September."

What they mean: "Sometime around Q3 of 2012."
According to the article on Valve Time [http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time], they mean october this year.

Player 2

Feb 20, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
So, no Xbox 360 update on the horizon then?

*Moving forward to news I care about* New gamemode? Awesome! and itemtrading? Which the fans have demanded for more than a year? Valve, you are too kind![footnote]Anyone wants a hatless Sniper for a Soldier drill saergent hat?[/footnote]
I've got the Soldier drill sergeant hat, got anything better to offer?

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Hey vansau, I hate to do this, but I think it would be a good idea to link to the official TF2 wiki, http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Main_Page , not only because it's more official and updated, but because I have a history with the adds on TF2wiki.net trying to give me viruses, and lots of them.