Next TF2 Update is More Than a Fancy Hat Party

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Irridium said:
And people wonder why people love TF2 and Valve so much. Its because when most developers say "supporting with DLC long after launch", they just put out one or two DLC stuff which is just two or three maps and charge $10 or so for it, put out a couple updates, and call it a day. Valve actually supports their games long, long after launch. By releasing shitloads of updates and free content.
As much as I love Valve (although I mostly love them for their singleplayer games; never actually played Team Fortress 2...or the original TF, for that matter), they don't support Team Fortress 2 out of the kindness of their hearts (well, not entirely anyway :p). Even if people don't pay for them with money, they do pay for it by having to use Steam and being constantly exposed to adverts and Steam sales.

You know what they say....there is no such thing as a free lunch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/view-from-the-road/7655-View-from-the-Road-No-Such-Thing-as-a-Free-Lunch].

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
TheTaco007 said:
Cool, now UPDATE THE 360 VERSION.
NO VALVE! stick to your guns and dont give into Micro$oft!!

also dude. if Valve did release there updates on 360 you would have to pay for them (like "The Passing")

Apr 28, 2008
Tom Phoenix said:
Irridium said:
And people wonder why people love TF2 and Valve so much. Its because when most developers say "supporting with DLC long after launch", they just put out one or two DLC stuff which is just two or three maps and charge $10 or so for it, put out a couple updates, and call it a day. Valve actually supports their games long, long after launch. By releasing shitloads of updates and free content.
As much as I love Valve (although I mostly love them for their singleplayer games; never actually played Team Fortress 2...or the original TF, for that matter), they don't support Team Fortress 2 out of the kindness of their hearts (well, not entirely anyway :p). Even if people don't pay for them with money, they do pay for it by having to use Steam and being constantly exposed to adverts and Steam sales.

You know what they say....there is no such thing as a free lunch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/view-from-the-road/7655-View-from-the-Road-No-Such-Thing-as-a-Free-Lunch].
Well yes of course I know that. But those adverts don't cost any money. Steam doesn't cost the consumer anything, the updates don't cost the consumer anything. Thats what I'm getting at.

Of course it costs someone somewhere something, but that should go without saying.
Its like when I say "everyone loves Mythbusters" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/7962-Stolen-Pixels-219-Mythbombers]. Of course not everyone likes them, but that goes without saying.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
vallorn said:
TheTaco007 said:
Cool, now UPDATE THE 360 VERSION.
NO VALVE! stick to your guns and dont give into Micro$oft!!

also dude. if Valve did release there updates on 360 you would have to pay for them (like "The Passing")
I don't care, it's TF2! I don't care if they sell it as a $60 game, I'll fucking buy it!

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Sure... They really love updating TF2... But not L4D!!! (The original one, of course!) And, OH! HL2:EP3!!

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Irridium said:
Tom Phoenix said:
Irridium said:

Well yes of course I know that. But those adverts don't cost any money. Steam doesn't cost the consumer anything, the updates don't cost the consumer anything. Thats what I'm getting at.

Of course it costs someone somewhere something, but that should go without saying.
Its like when I say "everyone loves Mythbusters" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/7962-Stolen-Pixels-219-Mythbombers]. Of course not everyone likes them, but that goes without saying.
That is the thing...they do cost the consumer...especially the consumer. Not monetarily obviously, but nevertheless, the consumer is still "paying" for it by being exposed to those advertisements and buying games off of Steam.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that, considering that the consumer is paying for the updates in a sense, it makes Valve's actions seem a lot less kind-hearted then most people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong, I love Valve and I am sure they would have updated the game a great deal even if there was no Steam. Still, these updates are as "free" as free-to-play MMO's; while you don't have to pay for them monetarily, you will be paying for them in a different way.

Plus, to be honest, I would be more then willing to pay for updates if it meant that I didn't have to use Steam. Yes, it is the least intrusive method of DRM.....but that doesn't equal to "not intrusive at all". But to be fair to Valve, at least they don't pull off the stunt of making you pay for updates AND still have to deal with the same kind of DRM, if not worse.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Sweet!!! Sure am looking forward to this new TF2 update!!! I really, really appreciate all the continuous support they've been giving this game, it's just stellar.

Apr 28, 2008
Tom Phoenix said:
Irridium said:
Tom Phoenix said:
Irridium said:

That is the thing...they do cost the consumer...especially the consumer. Not monetarily obviously, but nevertheless, the consumer is still "paying" for it by being exposed to those advertisements and buying games off of Steam.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that, considering that the consumer is paying for the updates in a sense, it makes Valve's actions seem a lot less kind-hearted then most people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong, I love Valve and I am sure they would have updated the game a great deal even if there was no Steam. Still, these updates are as "free" as free-to-play MMO's; while you don't have to pay for them monetarily, you will be paying for them in a different way.

Plus, to be honest, I would be more then willing to pay for updates if it meant that I didn't have to use Steam. Yes, it is the least intrusive method of DRM.....but that doesn't equal to "not intrusive at all". But to be fair to Valve, at least they don't pull off the stunt of making you pay for updates AND still have to deal with the same kind of DRM, if not worse.
And like I said, everyone knows they cost someone something. Everyone knows this, no one says it or acknowledge it because everyone knows it.

Plus, saying "free updates" is a lot easier than saying "updates you don't pay for monetarily but are payed by you looking at advertisements", or "updates you pay for but in a certain way".

And besides, breaking down everything and showing that everything costs something is simply not fun, because mainly everyone knows.

And I understand not wanting to use Steam so much. I've been using it since Half Life 2, so... 6 years I think? Honestly, I believe games should simply offer the option to install using Steam, rather than making it a requirement. Kind of like what Unreal Tournament 3 did.

Yes Steam isn't that intrusive of a DRM, but its still intrusive, and still can be a pain. Even though I love it, I still hate that I'm forced to use it. I just want the choice to use it or not, but I guess thats too much to ask...

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Why is Valve spending all these resources providing free updates for a game which they sell for 20$? How can this make good business sense?

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
New game mode?....can you say MURDERBALL?!?! But srsly, if that turns out to be the new mode, I will break down and cry tears of joy. Too bad I might die of old age before this update sees the light of day >.>

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Seriously? Valve, you make fabulous games but I really can't but notice that you are slightly neglecting our teeny tiny community over in the Xbox 360 region. Can't complain though, Portal 2!