Ni no Kuni Wonders How Far You'll Go

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Ni no Kuni Wonders How Far You'll Go

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch's launch trailer ... soooo pretty ...

"There are people who need me," says Oliver, the hero of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9725-E3-Preview-Ni-no-Kuni-Wrath-of-the-White-Witch], and the screen dissolves in a blaze of magic. The collaboration between Level 5 and famed animation Studio Ghibli is almost here and, to remind you what all the fuss is about, a gorgeous trailer awaits.

But will Oliver prevail in his battle against the Dark One, and the White Witch it serves? The plot has you, as bereft child Oliver, trying to save his mother by saving a magical kingdom. He'll learn magic and risk his hide, gathering friends - Mr Drippy with his lantern nose being only the first of many - and defeating enemies in grand RPG style. Studio Ghibli's Yoshiyuki Momose has outdone himself on the animation front; this one will probably sell a few PS3's just on its own merits.

For yes, this is a PS3 exclusive, in case you had forgotten; but those in a position to enjoy Level 5's latest don't have to wait much longer. Launch in North America is January 22nd, 2013; February 1st for Europe.

Source: All Games Beta [http://www.allgamesbeta.com/]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Studio Ghibli and Level 5, hnng, I want this game, but no PS3. :c

Who not a Vita version as well.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Am I the only escapist who got this game yesterday? The lack of discussion about this game in these forums is disturbing.

Anyway, I got this game yesterday and played it for about 3 hours. Which in the grand scheme of jRPG's is equivalent to taking your first baby-step into the journey. My initial thoughts are:

BEAUTIFUL game. I enjoy a good art style as much as the next person, but there's something different about the way this game is illustrated. Almost as if you can tell a hand drew every single bit of detail in it's world. It seems to feature a lot of hand-drawn cutscenes as well. The most gorgeous thing I've seen so far is the world map. It feels like exploring a painting!

AMAZING music. Seriously some of the best music I've heard in a game in a very long time. So long that I've forgotten how incredible a well-composed soundtrack preformed by an orchestra can be to a game.

I haven't even gotten far enough in the game to have discovered the full depth of combat. But the combat has surprised me by the pace of it, especially with the use of familiars. Hell I haven't even gotten another party member yet.
From what I heard of several reviews, the combat of the game a few hours in starts becoming quite difficult (Especially boss fights) I'm looking forward to finding out.

As for the story, I'm still learning a lot about the new world Oliver is in, how things work, magic, hearts, etc. But it's all so incredibly appealing and amusing. Particularly speaking, I met his Meowjesty and I can't help but laugh every time I see him.

So far, I'm adoring this game and I can't wait to play it more tonight.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
First i have heard of this game of seen it and....WOW....just jaw hanging wow, gorgeous trailer, cannot recall too many trailers that made me so excited for a game i never heard of.

also gives me the urge to go dig out spirited away or something........

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Played the demo when it came out, and it was pretty fun. I might pick this game up eventually when I thin out my backlog a little bit.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Couldn't you mention the PS3 exclusivity earlier into the article? I want to play that game but I don't have a PS3, will never buy one and am pretty fed up about that whole exclusivity BS.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I fell in love... Now I am in anger because PS3 exclusive, why the fuck we can not get stuff like this on PC!?!? What they afraid it wont sell?

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
So psyched for this game. Thank god for the possibility of using the Japanese dubs though. 100+ hours of ear splittingly horrifying little boy US dub? No thank you.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
...PS3 exclusive?... crap... I really need to get one ASAP. Although Jim's review looks enticing enough, but I didn't see any actual videos for the game until now and I'm pretty stocked by the artstyle and those lovely voice-overs.

MrGrey

Jul 17, 2011
Tohuvabohu said:
Am I the only escapist who got this game yesterday? The lack of discussion about this game in these forums is disturbing.
I don't know about anyone else, but I got the wizard edition and have not gotten any shipping email yet.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
It looks gorgeous and right up my alley. But I don't have a PS3 and I really can't afford to throw away money to get one game for it. I really hope Japan starts moving towards more PC gaming (besides VNs) soon because it can only mean good things for the rest of us when they do.

Man... I wish this was on PC! I guess I'll look for a LP.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I'm interested.

I'm not thrilled about the English voicework though. Could someone who picked it up tell me whether or not Japanese voicework with English subtitles is included?

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Candidus said:
I'm interested.

I'm not thrilled about the English voicework though. Could someone who picked it up tell me whether or not Japanese voicework with English subtitles is included?
They are indeed included. And can be chosen before the game even begins, so you won't have to listen to a peep from english voices if you don't want to.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Damn being in Australia.
I'm still waiting to pick it up.
Tohuvabohu said:
Give me a day or two after the release here and I wont stop talking about it.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Tohuvabohu said:
They are indeed included. And can be chosen before the game even begins, so you won't have to listen to a peep from english voices if you don't want to.
Thank you for that.
I don't mind English voicework in games like Baldur's Gate, but anything voiced in the US that originates in Japan seems to be the jurisdiction of US anime voice actors, most of whom are unbearably bad (see: FFX and onward, Persona etc).

I remember Ni no Kuni's art preview now. I don't know how it fell off my radar, but I look forward to getting it.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm surprised by the amount of Escapists who want this game and don't own a PS3. I don't know why, I guess I just figured the PS3 was the more popular console.

I'm totally excited about Ni No Kuni! I have my copy all preordered on Amazon; February can't come quick enough. Who has never wanted to live inside a Studio Ghibli film?