Ninja Theory: Devil May Cry Skeptics "Secretly Want to Like It"

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
It's funny, because Ninja Theory said they aren't listening to any complaints (troll or otherwise), and yet people still gripe and complain endlessly over it. Here's the breakdown: you aren't happy, the current devs don't care, you're still whining about it. You see how little sense that makes?

Listen, Ninja Theory is the new developer. They want to do something different with it. Is that, in itself, a bad thing? I'm going to cite the obvious here, Treyarch and Infinity Ward. You can complain all you want about some of the crappier games, but Call of Duty: World at War was a good game, dammnit. Just... deal with it. Give Ninja Theory a chance here, guys.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
.... no shit asshole.

Of course I'd want to like any DMC game but your take on it looks like it's going to be, at best, decent.
And your smugness isn't helping at all.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I am still waiting for mor gameplay vids before I go all "HULK SMASH". I did react negativly when I first saw the character design, I admit that but it sounds like they are changeing alot and while change can be good, I am not so sure in this case.

Also, Don't fuck this up Ninja Theory.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
There is little reason to be angered by the new character design (or at the very least the hair color). Why? Because it actally fits into canon. Let me explain.
There is a three-volume manga series that functions as a prequel to DMC3. In this, it is mentioned (briefly) that Dante's hair was not always white; it became white when his demon powers manifested (they never do state the previous hair color). So, assuming this is a new origin story (as I believe it was stated once), then the black hair at least, does work. This new game can potentially fit into the current canon. That's all I'm saying.
The only problem I have with the design is actually that the "new" Dante smokes. It was well established that "[Dante] doesn't smoke. He's too cool for that." Though if he, I dunno, gives up the smoking during the course of the game, then again, it can fit into canon.
Besides, as long as the game plays like a DMC title, all of this doesn't really matter.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
While I'll admit that the complaints against this game are out of hand, this just reeks of smugness. And I much prefer the writing in Devil May Cry 3 to Enslaved, both are pretty standard fair as far as story goes but Devil May Cry 3 was at least funny.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Honestly, I respect Ninja Theory and Capcom for sticking to their guns. It takes cojones to stand up for your game despite all the backlash it gets. If the game is good or bad, it will be due to its own merits, not because Dante doesn't look exactly like before.

They're sticking to their guns, for good or ill. And I respect that, to an extent.

Issurru said:
Edit: I would also like to hit you with a shovel Tameem, why? Because you are a smug little bastard, which oddly enough makes me smirk because I then begin to think of how Dante should actually be. Instead of what you made him out to be
Yes, for changing Dante into a.........what exactly did they change Dante to?See, an interesting thought occurred to me, everyone is screaming around like a banshee, saying "Dante is ruined!" when, really, all we have seen is a redesign. Nothing on his character. People say "emo angsty teen Twitard!", but when has he ever shown characteristics of said emo/angsty characteristics? He looks much more like a punk-ass kid, and that's evident considering his fighting style.

And really, with fans reacting as childishly as this, I wonder why they're taking the "talk to the hand" approach? Well, certainly if they were just reasonable then everyone would be happy! Except the fans. Because they are being completely immature and won't be satisfied no matter what they do.

As I've said any time this is mentioned, it's okay to be worried about the game. Be worried about its direction, that is completely understandable. But the amount of pure hatred this game is getting before any real substance is provided for the game is just ridiculous. It's practically a case study of gamers being unable to accept change. The game could be gold and diamonds but the "fans" would still hate on this game, dogmatically refusing to change their minds out of the immature belief that somehow they are right and it just terrible.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I'm just repeating shit I've been told, I can't promise that it's accurate. What I've heard is that the designer and co-founder Tameem Antoniades just made the character look like him.

<spoiler=Image comparison>http://i.screwattack.com/content/images/orig_10439_1_1285149703.jpg

Subtitled

Aug 17, 2011
Alufear said:
Of course we WANT to like it, it's Devil May Cry for Christ's sake! We love the series and we love Dante. But that crack-smoking bum AIN'T Dante, and barring some miraculous transformation in the game WILL NEVER BE Dante. And so far from the gameplay videos there's nothing we haven't seen from the series before. Sure the combat looks like DMC, but where's the innovation? What's new? We need details, Ninja Theory, not gameplay vids of combat we've already seen. Plot, bosses, characters, new moves, ANYTHING! If you want to restore our confidence, give us something.
My sentiments exactly. I want to like it because it's Devil May Cry. But they're going to have to prove to me that it actually is Devil May Cry.

Also, this was the first I've heard about it being 30fps. Hope that doesn't mess things up too much. The silky smooth controls were one of the main things I loved about DMC. That, and the ridiculously cheesy and sarcastic dialogue.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Because every word this guy has uttered so far in videos has been pure liquid angst from the sweaty brow of the lead singer of Dashboard Confessional.
"My", "Name", "Is", "Dante". And maybe a few "Yargh!" grunts. Yeah, you can totally assume his complete character based on the plethora of dialogue he gives out.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
the game isnt devil may cry, way to brutal not enough style, this is not god of war damnit.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
Yeah, I'm going to respond to everyone who criticizes me like that from now on. "You secretly agree with me! How could anybody sane contradict me?"
Well, when this guy has a history of blaming others for his studio's failings (on the gameplay, presentation, AND story fronts) then it's hardly surprising he strokes his huge yet fragile ego once more. Honestly, in any other industry his ass would get dropped like a rock.

Also, only ONE game has ever been able to hit 60 FPS on the Unreal 3 engine, and that's Mortal Kombat. Even then it's only because a LOT of sacrifices had to made to reach that requirement. Kiss any chances of this game being smooth and receptive good-bye

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
Why does it feel like I'm being given a giant middle finger?? I'll play it and all, but I'm getting this 'fuck you' vibe.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Actual said:
I'm just repeating shit I've been told, I can't promise that it's accurate. What I've heard is that the designer and co-founder Tameem Antoniades just made the character look like him.

<spoiler=Image comparison>http://i.screwattack.com/content/images/orig_10439_1_1285149703.jpg
They look nothing alike, they merely have the same "teardrop" fringe (or bang if your Northern American), which is actually my hairstyle, the dirty filthy hipster that I am.

Facially they look nothing alike.

edit: guy in pic has a blended hair cut, Dante has a step
Dante has angular cats eyes, guy has eyes that are angled at the outer edges
Same goes with the eyebrows
Dante has squared jaw, guy hasn't
Dante has defined pursed lips, guy has rounded lips (sorry I got that wrong, guy has pursed lips, Dante has thin lips)
I could carry on, so I shall
Dante has roman nose... blahdee blah blah
Dante has raised "model" style cheekbones, hairdresser guy that probably drives a mazda has lowered cheekbones.